Change of Government: Hypothetical Question

Would the US be better off if we just had one political party?

Kind of like what Canada and Australia have.

Granted, not everyone is going to be happy, but happiness isn't the goal here. The goal is rather prosperity and the track to achieve it.

I rather see a half dozen political parties, like in much of Europe. And each new administration has to form a coalition to govern. That way, each party could safeguard their own key interests. Instead of pandering to the apathetic middle of the road.

• Fire 1

China.

The infighting is yucky, but the parties also serve as competing power bases and effective checks against one another. They are not meant to promote ideological differences or efficiency, but if efficiency were what we were going for, we would just hand power over to one sovereign.

Granted, not everyone is going to be happy, but happiness isn't the goal here. The goal is rather prosperity and the track to achieve it.

No. I think that the US would be better off if we had more than two political parties.

The government our founders created was perfect for us, we just let it change into a bastard offspring.

Sometimes I wonder if the differing partys are just a ruse to distract us from focussing our disdain on who's really in charge (World Banks).

And who decides which side is "Pro Life" or "Pro Choice" for instance?

The 2 party system seems to have survived as a way for those of us that are too lazy to do the daunting research on each politician and just vote along the party lines that more closely resemble our own ideals.

• Fire 2

The government our founders created was perfect for us, we just let it change into a bastard offspring.

No government is or has ever been perfect. Our government is a compromise. It was never perfect.

You're not seriously arguing that a government that counted a slave as 3/5 of a person was perfect . . . are you?

Based on what political parties have done for us for quite a few years, I think we'd be better off with no political parties. Party affiliation was intended to sort of pre-seperate some basic ideological differences (which they still do) but, I think the rationale for that was so we could fall back to picking a party as opposed to the specific person. That process has not served us well at all. I think it would be easier to make politicians accountable to their constituency if all party monikers were disbanded. If Bill, your local representative, isn't doing what you voted for him to do, it seems it would be much easier to send him packing than if you had to consider how it may affect some party voting bloc. IMO, party politics is probably one of our biggest problems. I'm not sure if it is a somewhat recent developement, or if it's been this f'd up historically. I have trouble believing that things have been this jacked up throughout our history. Seems like they used to be able to get some things done that didn't just screw all the people.

• Fire 1

Canada has one political party?

Don't they have an elective monarchy? One political party, but they elect who governs what.

Constitutional monarchy with the Prime Minister chosen by the House instead of popular election. Canada has two major parties, Conservative and Democrat as well as a much smaller Liberal party, so in reality it isn't much different then what we have here.

So if we were Canada our Prime Minister would be Annoying Orange, err I mean John Boehner and before that Nancy Pelosi. Thank God for Constitutional Republics! ;)