Perlman's Hiring of Eichorst

Damn, I've read a ton of let's-take-baseless-speculation-and-make-sweeping-and-heavy-character-judgments about our university Chancellor.

Does he look that devious?

perlman.jpg

OK, I'll admit he didn't get good dice in the hairline department.

Could use some better glasses too :lol:

Let's be honest here. Would you let a guy who looks like that watch your children? chuckleshuffle

• Fire 1

If any new information is out there I'll try to keep you posted but really that's pretty much it. Best of luck to Shawn Eichorst, I think fresh blood in the Athletic Department could be good for us, not saying it was bad before, now we just have to wait and see.

You should work on getting factual information next time. This stuff, while entertaining, has more truthiness than truth to it.

Hey guy you don't like what I post you don't have to read it, what I hear is great info and I'm sure what you think you hear is great info and I'm sorry if doesn't match up 100%, but that doesn't mean info stops b/c some MOD doesn't like it when someone knows more than he does.

If any new information is out there I'll try to keep you posted but really that's pretty much it. Best of luck to Shawn Eichorst, I think fresh blood in the Athletic Department could be good for us, not saying it was bad before, now we just have to wait and see.

You should work on getting factual information next time. This stuff, while entertaining, has more truthiness than truth to it.

Hey guy you don't like what I post you don't have to read it, what I hear is great info and I'm sure what you think you hear is great info and I'm sorry if doesn't match up 100%, but that doesn't mean info stops b/c some MOD doesn't like it when someone knows more than he does.

I didn't tell you to stop posting. Go ahead and post your rumors. Keep them here in Rumorville and it's cool - as long as it isn't libelous, of course.

I didn't tell you to stop posting. Go ahead and post your rumors. Keep them here in Rumorville and it's cool - as long as it isn't libelous, of course.

Deal

One thing that gets me just a tad is this...

Perlman hired Peterson. Yes, with backing from Osborne. But no one couldve seen what actually happened was going to happen. Then-when not only the football program, but on a much larger scale, the athletic department as a whole was in the shitter-he calls in Tom himself to "temporarily" take the position to not only clean up a bunch of messes, but make a lot of advances as well, not to mention one of the not the largest venture (conference change) this university ever has or ever will partake in. So, I think it to be a little troubling to me if Osborne wasnt at least asked what he thought or for his imput. Not saying TO should be allowed to actaully pick the guy, but allowing for a little input for the sake of continuity wouldnt hurt.

One thing that gets me just a tad is this...

Perlman hired Peterson. Yes, with backing from Osborne. But no one couldve seen what actually happened was going to happen. Then-when not only the football program, but on a much larger scale, the athletic department as a whole was in the shitter-he calls in Tom himself to "temporarily" take the position to not only clean up a bunch of messes, but make a lot of advances as well, not to mention one of the not the largest venture (conference change) this university ever has or ever will partake in. So, I think it to be a little troubling to me if Osborne wasnt at least asked what he thought or for his imput. Not saying TO should be allowed to actaully pick the guy, but allowing for a little input for the sake of continuity wouldnt hurt.

The Athletic Department as a whole wasn't foundering under Pederson. Several coaches very much liked and supported Pederson. Steve's big problem was... well, we all know what it was, so there's no need to rehash. It was a disaster, and we can all agree on that.

Tom's input was garnered in this search. It's not like Perlman shut his door on Tom Osborne and pulled some stunt all on his own.

Funny thing is, Perlman and Osborne have both supported the wrong guy at some point - Osborne with Solich and Perlman with Pederson. With 20/20 hindsight we can see that the Pederson hiring was a bit of a disaster. I thought Frank deserved another year, but Pederson had his own ideas. So it goes.

Perlman has zero interest in being a rock star. He doesn't crave the limelight, and he didn't pull off this hire or publicly dress Bo down out of some desire to see his mug on TV or in the papers.

Harvey is a very smart man. He has a more-than-adequate background in law, and he rarely makes a move that isn't well-calculated. The notion that this hire was a "whim" is completely false. Harvey doesn't wake up one day and decide to replace Tom Osborne.

I think you're responding to my post regarding the weird lack of cohesion in this transfer of the AD mantle, so I'll quote your post (which includes nothing I really disagree with,) here.

Nothing you wrote I overtly disagree with. I too believe Harvey to be of significant intelligence, actually stated as such, and I certainly never thought that a guy like Perlman would wake up one day and say, "that's it! I've had it! I'm hiring a new AD within the week!" That's ridiculous, and Perlman would never make such a vital decision regarding the entire AD of his university without careful consideration. You didn't quote my post so again I tread carefully because I'm not sure if your sentiments were in direct response to my own, but in no way did I ever intimate that I thought this was a decision made on a whim. Again, as I made note that Harvey is not a stupid man, than this is somewhat implicit. Only a complete idiot would endanger his reputation and his university based on a fleeting instinct. And I DO believe Harvey cares deeply about the university. He has come across in certain ways over the years in interviews or speaking opportunities, but not once would anyone say he had an apathetic, indifferent demeanor.

What I posted I made sure to qualify immediately that it was based on pure conjecture and thus should be taken lightly. I made care to do that in order to definitely state that there was no evidence based argument being made, merely an exploration of an opinion that frankly formed as I posted. I do not think those musings are thoroughly devoid of any feasible possibilities, however.

When I referred drawing attention to himself, I suspect (again, you did not quote me) that you made an immediate conclusion that I was proposing Perlman harbored a desire to usurp Osborne's position in the public eye, and in fact yearned to be the one held in that vast degree of esteem. And I can see where this could be deduced from my post. However, it was not the limelight I considered Perlman coveted, but rather the acknowledgement of the prominence of his position. (Which is substantial.) I do not think it is a wild leap in logic to think that someone who has worked as hard as Harvey has to achieve his position may harbor some resentment toward the idea that he was going to have to capitulate to the local (national) legend in terms of a decision that was the president of the university's to make.

And Perlman is kind of a big deal anyway. During the BCS/Playoff debates of, (what, two seasons ago?) Harvey Perlman was front and center addressing the national media. That was a pretty important message being conveyed by the president's as a group, in the face of widespread and still growing opposition, and the fact that Perlman was one of the major voices chosen to represent them speaks volumes as to his competence, as well as the regard his peers have for him.

I can see someone who has achieved all that finding it irksome to defer to anyone regarding a decision that should be his to make. The motivation I had in mind when I wrote that post was not, "put me on the news." It was, "pay me my just dues."

There is a terseness currently regarding this transferal process. Osborne sending a one note missive to the new AD is significant to me. Where does this come from? And why did it happen? (And, will it disappear in a short time and be revealed as nothing but yet another conflagration over what turns out to be nothing?)

These are all smart, competent, and prestigious people who are, like I said, people...not Vulcans. Everyone has pride. I think it is certainly possible that Harvey felt like he was not receiving the leeway a man in his position of authority ought to be afforded.

But as I started and ended with, pure hypothesis, which, by the way, I am not stating with any sort of absolution. I haven't been to Lincoln since last Saturday night, and there sure as hell isn't a red Neb phone in my bedroom which rings whenever something important happens in Lincoln.

As to the A&M situation? That was ill conceived. The only purpose I saw as I wrote that post seems far less unlikely upon reappraisal. I don't think that was done out of an attention seeking pursuit, I think that immediate response to that isolated incidence, may, in fact, have leaned more towards voicing opinion on a whim as opposed to carefully considering a response. I loudly state, I don't know. But if I was forced to bet, I'd put money on Perlman handling that a different way.

No. Harvey was just doing his job. This whole notion that he's throwing his weight around is baseless.

This may very well be so. But Harvey is in a very unique position. He has the living legend to balance along with his other major obligations. That is no small additional consideration, and, potentially, irritation.

And Happy Valley went through this over the last 6-10 years, as Paterno steadily declined but refused to exit gracefully. Having the legend on campus can create unique challenges, as well as direct competition for control that other universities who do not have revered legends of the program actively engaged on campus have to deal with. It's tricky. There's no bad guy here.

In the end, the whole thing could very easily fade just as quick as it caught our attention.

Nebula, have you met Harvey Perlman? Have you spoken with him?

No, I don't know him personally at all. In fact, it would be fair to say that I really know next to nothing about the man. Without really getting into specifics, I am very close with people who interact regularly with PM and others at the university. No coaches, just on the administrative/fundraising end. So I am perhaps privy to some (and I can't emphasize the italics enough...I'm no insider) things that don't get into the paper, or aren't common knowledge. Actually, this is the first time since I've joined this board (about two years ago already...damn) that I have ever mentioned that. Because it isn't relevant, and like I said, I'm hearing things second hand anyways. When Perlman is mentioned, I've never heard anything bad about him. Ever.

Like I said, I'm just looking at this situation from a distance and ruminating over it, and then offering possible explanations for why there wasn't a harmonious passing of the torch on this thing. But knapp man, I could easily be WAY off in my guesswork as to why things seemed less than idyllic. I think you probably have a sense after the last couple years that I'm not the kind of person who will stubbornly insist I'm right no matter what. So, do you know Perlman? It wouldn't shock me if you did, or at least knew more about him than I do. Everything I've said on this matter has been littered with words/phrases like: conjecture, intuition, it's possible, it's feasible, ect...) intentionally worded to illuminate my (complete) limitation on what occurred here, and really, on the parties involved. So if you can enlighten me, please do my friend! The situation is curious to me, and if you know my speculations on this deal are thoroughly faulty than please inform me so I'm not disseminating incorrect information.

Sadly I think there's elements of truth to the OP. The stuff we're hearing now about how this hire happened doesn't sound great, and it's too bad. The one at fault is likely Harvey...not for not including Tom or by going against Tom's wishes, but by doing most of the search behind TO's back. If this hire goes badly, Harvey is going to be in a terrible spot with the fanbase.

Given the fact that you "blame" Matt O' Hanlon for Nebraska's loss to Va Tech makes your assertion (and reasoning) here incredibly suspect.

I don't really see that as a clear case of if A=B than A=C, 'Skers.

imo, anyway.

Not what I'm saying. We seem to have an awful lot of fans here who are all too ready to piss all over the new AD based on nothing more than vague media reports about Bo and Tom being "upset" that they weren't properly consulted.

Not what I'm saying. We seem to have an awful lot of fans here who are all too ready to piss all over the new AD based on nothing more than vague media reports about Bo and Tom being "upset" that they weren't properly consulted.

Now that I don't disagree with in any way. Dismissing someone before they've even settled into their office chair is asinine. With you all the way on that, man.