Perlman's Hiring of Eichorst

I don't know what to believe right now.

Facts from Harvey's press conference:

1) TO let him know in early September that he was going to step down.

2) Eichorst toured the campus (by himself) and interviewed for the job Sept 9th.

Unless Harvey is lying about when TO told him he was going to retire, these dates line up.

3) Harvey says that he did this search by himself and he ruffled some feathers in Lincoln.

4) TO is one of the people who were upset.

5) He had TO talk to Alvarez and Alvarez gave Eichorst a thumbs up. (this happens many times with ex bosses. You would have to be a total failure for an ex boss to not say good things about you in this situation).

6) Search firm couldn't touch base with Bo.

The Bo thing doesn't make sense to me. Some say Bo is upset he didn't have a bigger part in this. If the search firm actually tried to get a hold of Bo and Bo knew what it was for, and he didn't call them back, then that's Bo's fault.

One thing that I do agree with though with Harvey, I don't like someone choosing who their successor is. TO isn't the one that has to live and work with this guy. He could pass away next week for all we know and the fans and the University are the ones that must live with the decision.

So, even though I think TO's input could be valuable and it would make a transition that much more smooth, I don't know TO in those situations. Maybe he is an over bearing person and demands his guy gets the job. I honestly don't know.

All that said, from the outside looking in right now, it appears that this could have been handled better. The last time we had someone stand up from the University and claim they did the entire search by themselves and made the decision by themselves it was a disaster.

I am extremely nervous about this hire but I will try to support him and the University as much as possible. Unfortunately, Harvey has put the new guy in a difficult situation from the beginning.

They are not being truthful about the attempts to contact people.

Not everything HP stated yesterday about the process it true and you have to read a little between the lines in his statements about the number of people who officially interviewed and about those that were talked with about if they had a interest in the job knowing that PM, JW and MB all spoke with HP about interest in the job. I don't know the depth of the conversations but it must have been enough that PM felt at the game last weekend that he stated he'd be disappointed if he didn't get the opportunity to lead the department, but at the same time he was happy doing the job that he was doing.

I don't know if HP made the statements to save face for the people on staff not getting the job or if those folks only got the informal 30 min sit down session you give an employee on staff when you know you're going outside.

What I do know is that most of the people who were supposed to have a part in the hire were never contacted and several people are concerned about that. HP while very good on education isn't very good at making hires and was told to hire TO if he wanted to keep his job back when he did that. He also screwed up in the fact that the contract for this guy has a Turner Gill clause in it and should he be fired for any reason in the first several years he is due his full pay. I think this guy will be ok but if he's a jackball he gets a big payday no matter what. More and more people including some of the Regents are becoming worried about how things were handled. And more and more is starting to come out about the relationship between TO and HP and several people are uneasy.

I really hope this guy is good. I think everyone will give him the chance and from all I can learn his coaches like working with him. I think he very well may have gotten the job in the end if others were involve but I think several people would feel much better about things if HP had actually done things the way he said he was going to and not lied to everyone last week about the process.

So the tone i get from this explanation is that this was not a conspiracal hire, but possibly a "whim" hire-fly by night?. And my suggesting incompletence on Pearlman's part in these kind of situations. That nothing intentional was done to ruffle the feathers, but that it just went that way. Correct?

I knew it!!! See! Bo is gone! They fired TO in order to be able to fire Bo so they can win it all! I blame all of this on Taylor Martinez and his poor mechanics. Without his bad play for the last 2 years we'd have won multiple championships and Bo's job would be safe making TO's job safe making Harvey look like a genius.

I heard from a highly reliable source that TO was approached by Harvey about getting rid of Bo after the Northwestern game last year....

But where does Barney Cotton figure in to all this? :sarcasm

Listened to 1620 radio yesterday afternoon and they interviewed a reporter from Miami. He was totally negative about Eichorst. Said he is a "do nothing" type of guy who does not have many people skills, did not communicate with the press in Miami, and basically hid from his staff at Criminal U. Hell, we have a current head coach and chancellor who have difficulty with their own PR skills. And, now we have an AD with the same attributes? Just does not make much sense.

Walk a mile in Shawn Eichorst's shoes, and you may understand why there was tension between him and the Miami community. Eichorst wasn't told of any of the wrongdoings/Ponzi scheme issues before he was hired, despite the University's full knowledge of those issues happening.

If your employer wasn't exactly forthcoming about all of the s**t they knowingly walked into, and after bringing you in, left said proverbial s**t on your desk and asked you to clean it up while being hounded by the media about it...you may be a little reclusive as well.

It sounds like Bo's upset with this more than anything. That's too bad, though. The AD shouldn't pick his successor, and the football coach shouldn't really have a say in it, IMO. Regardless what Sipple thinks of that latter part.

True, but for a program that prides itself on (perceived) transparency, honesty, and integrity, you would think they could have thrown Bo a bone.

Not everything HP stated yesterday about the process it true and you have to read a little between the lines in his statements about the number of people who officially interviewed and about those that were talked with about if they had a interest in the job knowing that PM, JW and MB all spoke with HP about interest in the job. I don't know the depth of the conversations but it must have been enough that PM felt at the game last weekend that he stated he'd be disappointed if he didn't get the opportunity to lead the department, but at the same time he was happy doing the job that he was doing.

I don't know if HP made the statements to save face for the people on staff not getting the job or if those folks only got the informal 30 min sit down session you give an employee on staff when you know you're going outside.

What I do know is that most of the people who were supposed to have a part in the hire were never contacted and several people are concerned about that. HP while very good on education isn't very good at making hires and was told to hire TO if he wanted to keep his job back when he did that. He also screwed up in the fact that the contract for this guy has a Turner Gill clause in it and should he be fired for any reason in the first several years he is due his full pay. I think this guy will be ok but if he's a jackball he gets a big payday no matter what. More and more people including some of the Regents are becoming worried about how things were handled. And more and more is starting to come out about the relationship between TO and HP and several people are uneasy.

I really hope this guy is good. I think everyone will give him the chance and from all I can learn his coaches like working with him. I think he very well may have gotten the job in the end if others were involve but I think several people would feel much better about things if HP had actually done things the way he said he was going to and not lied to everyone last week about the process.

So the tone i get from this explanation is that this was not a conspiracal hire, but possibly a "whim" hire-fly by night?. And my suggesting incompletence on Pearlman's part in these kind of situations. That nothing intentional was done to ruffle the feathers, but that it just went that way. Correct?

Correct. I don't think there was any malice in the way things were done. Pearlman is just a screw up more than anything. And it very could be that ego played into it a touch as well. The one guy who's in Harvey's ear more than anyone isn't really a Bo or TO fan.

The problem isn't who was chosen but how the person was chosen. We laid out a plan and stated we were going to do XYZ and asked people to be involved in it. Then we said screw it and did something different. On top of that we've pretty much prided ourselves on being transparent and doing things a certain "Nebraska" way and then we didn't follow those standards. It kills all the trust we've work hard to rebuild the last 5 years.

Correct. I don't think there was any malice in the way things were done. Pearlman is just a screw up more than anything. And it very could be that ego played into it a touch as well. The one guy who's in Harvey's ear more than anyone isn't really a Bo or TO fan.

It's Seriously? aint it? Gad dumnit.

On serious note, things like this make me nervous..

It's sounding like you have a vested interest with one of the parties as well here. There are other people who have absolutely no problem with how Harvey's done this. And those people could have vested interests going the other way (not liking Bo, tied close to HP, for example...) And there's no fault or blame to be handed out either way. Just that there's little impartiality here when it comes to opinions from people tied close in, on something like this.

It does sound like a bit of a political mess from that standpoint, and I would have to say that Harvey could, and should have done a better job of managing that.

Hopefully the bridges can be repaired and the athletic department can move forward to everybody's benefit. Some gnashing of teeth and friction occurs with every transition. Both parties will have to do some work to minimize this.

The problem isn't who was chosen but how the person was chosen. We laid out a plan and stated we were going to do XYZ and asked people to be involved in it. Then we said screw it and did something different. On top of that we've pretty much prided ourselves on being transparent and doing things a certain "Nebraska" way and then we didn't follow those standards. It kills all the trust we've work hard to rebuild the last 5 years.

I agree. It's a lot like when Pederson fired Solich and hired Clownahan. It wasn't particularly that he did that, it was HOW he did it that upset some people and...more importantly.....didn't set up the new hire in the best situation to succeed.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Solich promotion in this thread. I'm not insider, but I've been told that many people connected with the program were really upset when TO took it upon himself to name his successor. If the gist of this thread is true--that HP has been acting on his own and didn't consult TO--then the experience with promoting Solich may have had something to do with it. Basically, TO was going to want his man and wasn't going to budge and HP knew that.

As for Bo, I don't understand why college football coaches expect to have influence over the hiring of their superiors.

Also, I truly wonder what is in store for Miami in terms of NCAA sancton when you I see Eichorst split so quickly. It also doesn't bother me in the slightest that a reporter from Miami doesn't like him.

• Fire 1

If this is the case then Perlman has obviously not learned his lesson. Callahan and Peterson both skated off with a big check after leaving the program in shambles. Nebraska is not a hind teat for poorly performing admins. What would be wrong with a performance based pay schedule? Since when do we rely on the recommendation of an admin from another school (competitor) as the main focal point for the hire? How does HP know what other people may bring to the table? Will the big money donors cotton to this guy? Too many questions and I am considerably uncomfortable with this hire. If this goes poorly then HP's azz should be shown the door.

I don't think most NCAA coaches have much input as to who is hired as a new AD. Many if not most of the big programs do keep the head coach of the cash cow sports in the loop however. If Bo found out about this hire from the radio or tv as most of us did then I don't think it says much about the relationship between Bo and HP.