Perlman's Hiring of Eichorst

Not going to go through the whole thread but here's my two cents.

Eichorst seems like a solid hire, albeit young. He's held some pretty serious positions and has received hefty compliments from respected people in the sports world (i.e. Barry Alvarez).

My only issue is this - Harvey Perlman has already made one bad A.D. hire in his time as chancellor. One would think he'd want to do everything in his power to ensure he does well in the public relations department. Instead, he largely ignores the two most important people related to the athletic department (Osborne and Pelini) and makes this hire. Regardless of Eichorst's resume, this was a very bad P.R. move if you're Harvey Perlman, and it's one I would have thought he'd have wanted to avoid after Osborne's predecessor. Throw on the rumors that Perlman told Osborne to retire so he could hire Eichorst and you've got even worse P.R.

Good hire, very bad P.R.

Nebula, have you met Harvey Perlman? Have you spoken with him?

No, I don't know him personally at all.

I thought as much. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'd love to hear your relationship with Perlman

I'm sure you'd find it interesting. But don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

Nebula, have you met Harvey Perlman? Have you spoken with him?

No, I don't know him personally at all.

I thought as much. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'd love to hear your relationship with Perlman

I'm sure you'd find it interesting. But don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.

Fair enough

My only issue is this - Harvey Perlman has already made one bad A.D. hire in his time as chancellor. One would think he'd want to do everything in his power to ensure he does well in the public relations department. Instead, he largely ignores the two most important people related to the athletic department (Osborne and Pelini) and makes this hire. Regardless of Eichorst's resume, this was a very bad P.R. move if you're Harvey Perlman, and it's one I would have thought he'd have wanted to avoid after Osborne's predecessor. Throw on the rumors that Perlman told Osborne to retire so he could hire Eichorst and you've got even worse P.R.

Good hire, very bad P.R.

Steve Pederson was hired with the enthusiastic endorsement of one Tom Osborne.

The PR battle is being waged by a guy like Sipple, who has a dog in this fight and is more or less speaking for them, not reporting. Leveraging our love and admiration for one of the greatest things to ever happen to any university's football program makes it easy for Sipple to fight that one.

So, I don't think it's fair to say that he largely ignored Osborne, or that Pelini is one of the most important people related to the athletic department. I think that characterization isn't fair. I do think Osborne had a guy in mind - and a difference of opinion with Perlman in this regard, and was disappointed that Perlman didn't go in that direction.

I won't begrudge Tom anything for feeling that way, but I do think Perlman made the right call in pursuing his guy. I like that with a position of this importance, we're not merely promoting from within and Tim Beck-ing the AD position.

(No offense to Tim Beck, whom I like a lot.)

The PR battle is being waged by a guy like Sipple, who has a dog in this fight and is more or less speaking for them, not reporting. Leveraging our love and admiration for one of the greatest things to ever happen to any university's football program makes it easy for Sipple to fight that one.

¿Cómo se dice?

Not going to go through the whole thread but here's my two cents.

Eichorst seems like a solid hire, albeit young. He's held some pretty serious positions and has received hefty compliments from respected people in the sports world (i.e. Barry Alvarez).

Good hire, very bad P.R.

I can see why TO would have a say in it, but why in the world would Bo have any say in it? What has he done to deserve that kind of respect? Win a couple of Conference Titles and then worry about your status Bo.

My only issue is this - Harvey Perlman has already made one bad A.D. hire in his time as chancellor.

Caveat: In hindsight. The major issue with Pederson's move was timing. Do it a year earlier and his options double, if not triple. Wait a year and Frank may have figured it all out. But making the move when he made it was disastrous.

Pederson further compounded the problem in trying to force his culture change on the unwilling masses, forcing his Tsar Nicholas moment. Tom Osborne as Rasputin making an interesting dichotomy.

With regards to the TO being forced out line of thinking, I have heard something similar as second hand info that there is a group of big money that has a large donation in order for after TO retires.

What are you trying to imply? Are they planning on trying to buy Pelini's contract out? Is T.O. going to receive this money?

I'm pulling this from memory so if I'm a little off sorry. Anyone listen to Drive Time Lincoln? They listed 15 people who were on the hiring committee. Bo, Tim Miles, other coaches, boosters, former players, former Regents, Jim Delany. Also they talked to the the interview people (I think that is the best way to put it, the "I've had no contact" people), and their Project Red, that related to the interview of at least one other potential, and there "hit list" of things people had to agree with (ie Traditions, treatment of former players etc)

As for Tom picking his successor, I'm sure he had someone in mind, but why should he? Just because you are the AD, doesn't mean you know what is best for when you are gone, and who the people that stay are going to have to work with.

way more went into this than Harv making a snap decision, he had tons of input, like others have said Harv is shrewd, and didn't make this choice in a vacuum.