Perlman's Hiring of Eichorst

I’ve got to admit Pearlman has not impressed me since his brilliant lawyerly brain allowed Pederson to write himself a huge extension right before they had to can him.

(also his peevishly uttered commentary that if necessary he can always go back to Dean of the Law College. In essence………….saying ta ta to his critics)

Perlman didn't hire the guy behind TO's back and force him to retire. TO had already told HP earlier that he planned to retire, and HP told Bo and TO that they'd both have input in the new AD. He lied (or told a "half-truth" in political speak) and that's why TO called the impromptu PC. It wasn't supposed to happen until later in the fall. Perlman sure is trying to screw this up.

I don't think most NCAA coaches have much input as to who is hired as a new AD. Many if not most of the big programs do keep the head coach of the cash cow sports in the loop however. If Bo found out about this hire from the radio or tv as most of us did then I don't think it says much about the relationship between Bo and HP.

The relationship between Bo and HP was nuked when Harvey made a big deal about the A&M issue, didn't back his staff, and circumvented TO.

I think the biggest thing out all this is: At the end of the day Harvey wanted his own guy. TO's been able to make a lot of decisions over the years of who his predecessor is going to be such as somone mentioned the Solich situation. In Harvey's mind which is technically true the new AD was his choice not TO's, and even though Jamie Williams was brought in to be groomed to be the new AD by TO, Perlman wasn't having it and wanted to make a change in the AD that was his choice. And like most people would react TO didn't like how it was handled and he wasn't even consulted because like people said he thought we were going one way and Perlman had obviously known for a while he wasn't going that way and didn't want to tell TO because he knew it wouldn't have gone well.

From some accounts I've heard that are probably best left public, but given the multiple sources, seem to be fairly reliable, Bo well and earned that one (the ATM reprimand that has left Bo sour.)

Although I suppose in the end, that's a subjective point, and I've heard it argued both ways. BigWillie was fully on Bo's side in that one. But there's a little more to that reprimanding than might appear on the surface.

Sadly I think there's elements of truth to the OP. The stuff we're hearing now about how this hire happened doesn't sound great, and it's too bad. The one at fault is likely Harvey...not for not including Tom or by going against Tom's wishes, but by doing most of the search behind TO's back. If this hire goes badly, Harvey is going to be in a terrible spot with the fanbase.

The problem isn't who was chosen but how the person was chosen. We laid out a plan and stated we were going to do XYZ and asked people to be involved in it. Then we said screw it and did something different. On top of that we've pretty much prided ourselves on being transparent and doing things a certain "Nebraska" way and then we didn't follow those standards. It kills all the trust we've work hard to rebuild the last 5 years.

This is pure conjecture on my part, so take it with a grain of salt, but I get the sense that Harvey resents the fact that he isn't a bigger deal publicly around here than he is. Harvey strikes me as a guy who holds himself in pretty high regard. I just have the sense that internally he's annoyed that the "damn football program" gets way more attention and has more prestige than he does.

Like the public dressing down of Bo after the A&M game. That was 100% avoidable, and Harvey is not a stupid man. The only purpose I could see in going the route he did was to draw attention to himself personally. This might be another one of those deals. Like, "you guys think you run this operation? Nope! I wear the crown and wield the scepter around here, and I just proved it."

Purely a hypothesis based on nothing but intuition, but this is feasible to me.

The problem isn't who was chosen but how the person was chosen. We laid out a plan and stated we were going to do XYZ and asked people to be involved in it. Then we said screw it and did something different. On top of that we've pretty much prided ourselves on being transparent and doing things a certain "Nebraska" way and then we didn't follow those standards. It kills all the trust we've work hard to rebuild the last 5 years.

This is pure conjecture on my part, so take it with a grain of salt, but I get the sense that Harvey resents the fact that he isn't a bigger deal publicly around here than he is. Harvey strikes me as a guy who holds himself in pretty high regard. I just have the sense that internally he's annoyed that the "damn football program" gets way more attention and has more prestige than he does.

Like the public dressing down of Bo after the A&M game. That was 100% avoidable, and Harvey is not a stupid man. The only purpose I could see in going the route he did was to draw attention to himself personally. This might be another one of those deals. Like, "you guys think you run this operation? Nope! I wear the crown and wield the scepter around here, and I just proved it."

Purely a hypothesis based on nothing but intuition, but this is feasible to me.

That could very well be spot on

Perlman has zero interest in being a rock star. He doesn't crave the limelight, and he didn't pull off this hire or publicly dress Bo down out of some desire to see his mug on TV or in the papers.

Harvey is a very smart man. He has a more-than-adequate background in law, and he rarely makes a move that isn't well-calculated. The notion that this hire was a "whim" is completely false. Harvey doesn't wake up one day and decide to replace Tom Osborne.

• Fire 2

Damn, I've read a ton of let's-take-baseless-speculation-and-make-sweeping-and-heavy-character-judgments about our university Chancellor.

Does he look that devious?

perlman.jpg

OK, I'll admit he didn't get good dice in the hairline department.

Could use some better glasses too :lol:

Perlman has zero interest in being a rock star. He doesn't crave the limelight, and he didn't pull off this hire or publicly dress Bo down out of some desire to see his mug on TV or in the papers.

Harvey is a very smart man. He has a more-than-adequate background in law, and he rarely makes a move that isn't well-calculated. The notion that this hire was a "whim" is completely false. Harvey doesn't wake up one day and decide to replace Tom Osborne.

I think Harvey was just trying to show everyone that he's the chancellor, he makes the decision on who the next AD not TO. I don't think he's trying to be a rock star by any means, I just think he wants people to know he's in charge, he decides who wants running the Athletic Department because that's his job, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Some may not like how it played out, but what can you do?

I think Harvey was just trying to show everyone that he's the chancellor, he makes the decision on who the next AD not TO. I don't think he's trying to be a rock star by any means, I just think he wants people to know he's in charge, he decides who wants running the Athletic Department because that's his job, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Some may not like how it played out, but what can you do?

No. Harvey was just doing his job. This whole notion that he's throwing his weight around is baseless.

• Fire 2

If any new information is out there I'll try to keep you posted but really that's pretty much it. Best of luck to Shawn Eichorst, I think fresh blood in the Athletic Department could be good for us, not saying it was bad before, now we just have to wait and see.

You should work on getting factual information next time. This stuff, while entertaining, has more truthiness than truth to it.

No. Harvey was just doing his job. This whole notion that he's throwing his weight around is baseless.

Totally agree. Harvey is sticking his neck out on this hire, and I respect the fact that he just didn't take the easy route, and promote a "Nebraska guy". Why would he carelessly hire someone when he knows that he will be fired if the new AD results in "Steve Pederson 2.0"?