Perlman's Hiring of Eichorst

Hard for me to believe that Perlman would take on this project by himself without knowing TO was going to bow out. Also, TO is a smart man. He would confront the issue if he knew Perlman was trying to hire a new AD behind his back and force him out. Why would Perlman want to force TO out in the first place? TO is the most popular iconic figure in the history of the state, at any level, at anytime period especially after coming back to straighten out the mess of Steve Peterson and saving face for Perlman. Perlman would be stepping on his own tally whacker if any of this rumor were true. I don't particularly care for Perlman but I cannot believe he would be so stupid to perpetrate a move without consulting TO.

Now, as to the pick for the new AD, that in itself is a little suspicious to me. Why would anyone hire a person without an extensive resume, years of experience, a face no one in this state knows about and no proven track record? Surely, there must have been other more qualified candidates out there willing to take a $975,000 job at NU. Listened to 1620 radio yesterday afternoon and they interviewed a reporter from Miami. He was totally negative about Eichorst. Said he is a "do nothing" type of guy who does not have many people skills, did not communicate with the press in Miami, and basically hid from his staff at Criminal U. Hell, we have a current head coach and chancellor who have difficulty with their own PR skills. And, now we have an AD with the same attributes? Just does not make much sense.

Hard for me to believe that Perlman would take on this project by himself without knowing TO was going to bow out. Also, TO is a smart man. He would confront the issue if he knew Perlman was trying to hire a new AD behind his back and force him out. Why would Perlman want to force TO out in the first place? TO is the most popular iconic figure in the history of the state, at any level, at anytime period especially after coming back to straighten out the mess of Steve Peterson and saving face for Perlman. Perlman would be stepping on his own tally whacker if any of this rumor were true. I don't particularly care for Perlman but I cannot believe he would be so stupid to perpetrate a move without consulting TO.

Now, as to the pick for the new AD, that in itself is a little suspicious to me. Why would anyone hire a person without an extensive resume, years of experience, a face no one in this state knows about and no proven track record? Surely, there must have been other more qualified candidates out there willing to take a $975,000 job at NU. Listened to 1620 radio yesterday afternoon and they interviewed a reporter from Miami. He was totally negative about Eichorst. Said he is a "do nothing" type of guy who does not have many people skills, did not communicate with the press in Miami, and basically hid from his staff at Criminal U. Hell, we have a current head coach and chancellor who have difficulty with their own PR skills. And, now we have an AD with the same attributes? Just does not make much sense.

Scary as hell. I usually ignore rumors but Perlman has always given me a heavy dose of the Heebie-Jeebies,

Pearlman is a tool. Always has been. Just look at the guy. He has crooked written all over his face. This scenario would not surprise me one bit. But it is highly unlikely. But we know one things for sure. Tom will absolutely everything in his power to benefit the UNIVERSITY and ATHLETIC PROGRAM. He could probably give to sh#ts for Pearlman-pure spec. of course.

Scary as hell. I usually ignore rumors but Perlman has always given me a heavy dose of the Heebie-Jeebies,

Maybe it was the plan to get someone like that. Maybe Pearlman just wants a figurehead and all the subordinates to all do their job. :blink: This guy better not be a flop, becuase if this athetic department has to go through what we did starting 8 years ago again, and no T.O. to save us, Pearlman's the next on the chopping block. Hopefully this is all hearsay and everything is hunkydory.

Why is Perlman a tool? Because of a few public spankings he gave to Bo, which were more than well-earned? Because of his leadership in moving to the B1G TEN? Based on what seems to be a lot of good done for the university, which also exists beyond the football program and athletic department?

I don't understand that characterization.

If it's based on looks...well, yeah, but a lot of old people aren't blessed with the same dapper looks Tom Osborne still has.

I don't know what to believe right now.

Facts from Harvey's press conference:

1) TO let him know in early September that he was going to step down.

2) Eichorst toured the campus (by himself) and interviewed for the job Sept 9th.

Unless Harvey is lying about when TO told him he was going to retire, these dates line up.

3) Harvey says that he did this search by himself and he ruffled some feathers in Lincoln.

4) TO is one of the people who were upset.

5) He had TO talk to Alvarez and Alvarez gave Eichorst a thumbs up. (this happens many times with ex bosses. You would have to be a total failure for an ex boss to not say good things about you in this situation).

6) Search firm couldn't touch base with Bo.

The Bo thing doesn't make sense to me. Some say Bo is upset he didn't have a bigger part in this. If the search firm actually tried to get a hold of Bo and Bo knew what it was for, and he didn't call them back, then that's Bo's fault.

One thing that I do agree with though with Harvey, I don't like someone choosing who their successor is. TO isn't the one that has to live and work with this guy. He could pass away next week for all we know and the fans and the University are the ones that must live with the decision.

So, even though I think TO's input could be valuable and it would make a transition that much more smooth, I don't know TO in those situations. Maybe he is an over bearing person and demands his guy gets the job. I honestly don't know.

All that said, from the outside looking in right now, it appears that this could have been handled better. The last time we had someone stand up from the University and claim they did the entire search by themselves and made the decision by themselves it was a disaster.

I am extremely nervous about this hire but I will try to support him and the University as much as possible. Unfortunately, Harvey has put the new guy in a difficult situation from the beginning.

I just disagree with his ideas on a lot of things. And yes, he just seems fishy to me. He has that look "what can I do to f#*k this all up". I dont know. Just expressing my opinion. Carry on.

Tom did more for the Big 12 move than Pearlman I would bet. For all we know, Pearlman was probably against it. Or not.

I knew it!!! See! Bo is gone! They fired TO in order to be able to fire Bo so they can win it all! I blame all of this on Taylor Martinez and his poor mechanics. Without his bad play for the last 2 years we'd have won multiple championships and Bo's job would be safe making TO's job safe making Harvey look like a genius.

I heard from a highly reliable source that TO was approached by Harvey about getting rid of Bo after the Northwestern game last year....

I knew it!!! See! Bo is gone! They fired TO in order to be able to fire Bo so they can win it all! I blame all of this on Taylor Martinez and his poor mechanics. Without his bad play for the last 2 years we'd have won multiple championships and Bo's job would be safe making TO's job safe making Harvey look like a genius.

I heard from a highly reliable source that TO was approached by Harvey about getting rid of Bo after the Northwestern game last year....

Rumor or not, I'm not surprised. There were numerous "fire Bo threads" here after that mess.

Not everything HP stated yesterday about the process it true and you have to read a little between the lines in his statements about the number of people who officially interviewed and about those that were talked with about if they had a interest in the job knowing that PM, JW and MB all spoke with HP about interest in the job. I don't know the depth of the conversations but it must have been enough that PM felt at the game last weekend that he stated he'd be disappointed if he didn't get the opportunity to lead the department, but at the same time he was happy doing the job that he was doing.

I don't know if HP made the statements to save face for the people on staff not getting the job or if those folks only got the informal 30 min sit down session you give an employee on staff when you know you're going outside.

What I do know is that most of the people who were supposed to have a part in the hire were never contacted and several people are concerned about that. HP while very good on education isn't very good at making hires and was told to hire TO if he wanted to keep his job back when he did that. He also screwed up in the fact that the contract for this guy has a Turner Gill clause in it and should he be fired for any reason in the first several years he is due his full pay. I think this guy will be ok but if he's a jackball he gets a big payday no matter what. More and more people including some of the Regents are becoming worried about how things were handled. And more and more is starting to come out about the relationship between TO and HP and several people are uneasy.

I really hope this guy is good. I think everyone will give him the chance and from all I can learn his coaches like working with him. I think he very well may have gotten the job in the end if others were involve but I think several people would feel much better about things if HP had actually done things the way he said he was going to and not lied to everyone last week about the process.