Evolution of the Defense

In 2009 NU had the number 1 defense in college football. In 2010, NU had a top 10 defense. In 2011 the defense was mediocre, and now it is terrible. What is the cause? I don't believe the problem is exclusively the players. Suh was great, and NU had some other NFL caliber players, but the drop off should not be that great. How much of the problem is due to scheme, getting out coached, and putting the wrong players on the field. Eight seniors started on defense against Ohio State. Were those seniors really the best athletes at their position, or is Bo rewarding seniors? Giving up 63 points to Ohio State, that was held to 29 by UAB and 17 by Michigan State is unacceptable. Giving up over 600 yards to a bad UCLA team in unacceptable. I just don't know what the cause is.

Suh was a generational talent. I think two things are really hurting us right now: 1) our DL has not been good. They just haven't been holding up their end of the bargain, at all, for two years now. 2) We haven't been able to replace Haggs and Gomes. Those guys were absolutely key for us.

Do you think Pelini can turn it around? I have lost faith in his ability to coach defense. Talent issues should not carry over for such a long period of time, and there have been too many repeats of the same problems. My opinion, is that Pelini is rewarding seniors. I cannot believe 8 seniors deserve to be starters. I also wonder why Bo doesn't study how teams like MSU shut down running QBs and replicate the schemes.

No SUH, Haag, Gomes, Prince, Fonzie, Super D, Bullocks or SEC talent, IMO, has exposed Bo and his schemes. He seems unable to adjust the scheme to the opponent and our own guys.

He has also shown a propensity to play academics over athletes. This is killing us. Look at the current AP and Coaches poll. We should be embarrassed at teams above us. Complete BS. No way those schools have better talent, recruiting or facilities. What they have, on the surface, appears to be better coaching and schemes to fit the players.

I keep repeating this, but the Redskins went to RGIII to see what plays he was good with. That is what the Skins are calling. They have a system, but if RGIII doesn't feel comfortable with it, they do not call it. Crazy idea.......

It all starts up front, our D-Line is bad. Compare us to what LSU and South Carolina's D-Line looks like and that's where we need to get our D-Line to, get to that level and that's where it starts. Then we need to get way more athletic at LB, we need way more speed at LB and get guys that will come up and hit and make game changing plays such as force fumbles.

It all starts up front, our D-Line is bad. Compare us to what LSU and South Carolina's D-Line looks like and that's where we need to get our D-Line to, get to that level and that's where it starts. Then we need to get way more athletic at LB, we need way more speed at LB and get guys that will come up and hit and make game changing plays such as force fumbles.

Recruit safeties and convert them. Give them a Red Shirt year to learn and bulk up and then turn them loose ala Super D in 2003. The whole BS about the B1G being the league of the 3 yrds in a cloud of dust is stupid. Look at the bowl records. Against speedier smaller teams the B1G sux. Us included. Speed, ability to tackle and then worry about size. Look at David here and in the NFL. Hell look at NU prior to recruiting speed on D. teams were killing us in the bowls. IIRC TO dropped 8 straight before we went after speed on D.

I have to agree that

Do you think Pelini can turn it around? I have lost faith in his ability to coach defense. Talent issues should not carry over for such a long period of time, and there have been too many repeats of the same problems. My opinion, is that Pelini is rewarding seniors. I cannot believe 8 seniors deserve to be starters. I also wonder why Bo doesn't study how teams like MSU shut down running QBs and replicate the schemes.

This. I'm really unsure that Bo is going to be able to turn around the defense. I keep hoping that his focus is elsewhere somehow, but I can't really believe this. And if he has been focused on the D and this is the result, I just don't know what to think anymore.