Name your new coach

No Carrol. No Tressel. I will settle for 9 wins every year and endure 2 of these losses each season to have the pride that we are "doing it right". The second we sacrafice that concept for the sake of a trophy with a crystal ball, we've lost EVERYTHING that makes this place special.

Yes. I took the OP as "if there is a silver bullet answer let's see it." And after hearing all the names and well-considered arguments for other coaches I wasn't persuaded. What would just buying the success mean anyway? Not that it matters because we can't even outspend Texas. Devaney and Osborne gave everything they had for the team and the axe was over their head the whole time. Bo has earned it in my eyes for totally buying into Nebraska culture. He has always done his best even when people are trashing his players and calling for his head. As long as we are making progress I will support Bo. If Bo really is on the hot seat or gets replaced I think that would be a huge short-sighted mistake that really hurts the program.

And until I see players quit on us (outside of being down by 20 with 8 seconds left for god's sake) like in '07, I will support Bo. I was in huge support of what Callahan was doing until it became obvious against Ball St, and then plain as day a week later against Missouri that the players gave up. When someone says a coach needs to be replaced, which around here is a lot, there always has to be the question "who you want to bring here?'' And quite frankly, the majority of names thrown around in this thread, sarcasm or not, are so laughable it would give Larry the Cable guy a hernia. I know this what message boards are for to speculate, but some of you are so divulged in a realm that we are entitled to better and best that I really dont think you're thinking through what you're saying. Quite frankly, we're lucky to have Bo as it is. We're lucky Frank brought him here in 03 that he was able to get a nibble of how great it is here. It's one of them places you have to see to believe. Getting them here to see it is a whole nother issue. Without Bo's previous one-year tenure, he's not here right now, and we would a probably settled on Gill, and with all due respect to him, it probably would have been a bigger disaster than Callahan.

In ending, I would like to see this thread, and all other threads containing "fire Bo" propaganda lock, deleted and removed for all eternity. Have a nice day.

my choice

I've said it before, I'm a student at ISU and he's not leaving anytime soon. Furthermore Jamie Pollard and the athletic staff choos Neb. as a role model to where they want their program to be. Not where we were, what we are now. Which is funny since everybody is bi*ching how terrible we are.

Funny, because i to live in iowa and i heard coach Rhodes say that ISU wasnt going to be his final stop. Had an interview with soundoff at the beginning of the year and he said that. I remember because there was a huge article in the Register the next day about him saying he wouldnt stay at ISU forever. If coach Rhodes finds larger pastures with better recruting abilities he will go.

my choice

I've said it before, I'm a student at ISU and he's not leaving anytime soon. Furthermore Jamie Pollard and the athletic staff choos Neb. as a role model to where they want their program to be. Not where we were, what we are now. Which is funny since everybody is bi*ching how terrible we are.

Funny, because i to live in iowa and i heard coach Rhodes say that ISU wasnt going to be his final stop. Had an interview with soundoff at the beginning of the year and he said that. I remember because there was a huge article in the Register the next day about him saying he wouldnt stay at ISU forever. If coach Rhodes finds larger pastures with better recruting abilities he will go.

He's got to get Iowa St. over the top first. Dont really now what means for sure given their expectations and national perception, but I know it hasnt happened yet, if that makes any sense. But he is a good coach and always ALWAYS get the best "effort" out of his players.

Thank you Shark for better illustrating my point.

Unless we're gonna take trip to fantasy land, we're not going to find a better coach at this time.

Agreed! That damn Sharky and his useful logic always rearing it's ugly head! I'm going down with Bo! Release the Ahole Bo! F&CK everybody and leave six for pallbearers! I don't see a viable guy who is out there that isn't about to be fired or was fired recently(petrino) that i would take over Bo!

I remember when I first used ecstacy....

But seriously, I have no idea what the hell is going on half the time when I'm reading one of your posts. Either it's total gibberish, old man babble, or I just don't get your humor whatsoever....

I'm shocked it took nearly a day for someone to post a "we need a new coach" thread...

Here's the thing. Realistically, who are you going to get to come in here, that will do better than Bo, who will actually want to come here and coach?

Thats right, the answer is currently, nobody. Do you think they really want to ask Solich to come back, the way he was shown the door last time? Turner Gill, I know there are several that have hardon's for him, but is he an improvement? Scott Frost, another fan favorite, is he really the answer?

The thing is, outside of what we have, are we going to improve what we have at the head coaching spot? I read the first 15 or 20 threads, and they're like reading horrible fantasy baseball trades... I'll trade you Miguel Cabrerra for Marco Scutaro....

Why would you say 'nobody'? There are a number of guys at schools with less resources than what are available here, who are doing much better jobs with less talent. I do not understand this mindset. If you don't think this is a quality job, all I can think is you must be happy with the kind of thing we saw Sat.

who?

Off the top of my head, I'm sure I could find more if I went looking.I may misspell a couple of these. Cutcliff, Taggert, Davis, Fitzgerald, Franklin, Rhodes..

Rhodes:

2011 (6-7)

2010 (5-7)

2009 (7-6)

Franklin:

2011 (6-7)

2010 (1-7)

I'll stop there.

Cutcliff:

2011 (3-9)

2010 (3-9)

Taggart:

2011 (7-5)

2010 (2-10)

Once again, I'll stop there.

Fitzgerald. This is the only one you listed that is even debatable, but still take a look:

2011 (6-7) - bowl loss to a bad Texas A&M team

2010 (7-6)

2009 (8-5)

And by Davis, I assume you mean Butch Davis, so let's take a look there:

2010 (8-5)

2009 (8-5)

2008 (8-5)

Not bad, but remember that he cheated in recruiting his best defensive players to win this many games.

Now Bo:

2011 (9-4)

2010 (10-4)

2009 (10-4)

2008 (9-4)

You tell me which coach has had the best results (and by results, I mean wins) out of this list. Yeah, there is no discussion here.

Now if you were to say Bill Snyder, then you have an argument. But Snyder is a frickin' wizard, and I have no idea how he does what he does.

Relatively speaking. You can't directly compare records like that. Many of the jobs were rebuilding to start with. And none of those programs have the resources or athletes. They have raised the bar at their respective schools. A number of them also take games they know they will lose for money. Like the SEC East.

Duke has a better record at this point this year than we do. And the last guys to be successful at Duke are either in the Hall of Fame(Bowden), or will be first ballot(Spurrier) If you can win there, you can win anywhere.

Northwestern is similar. You think its hard getting kids here? Try there, and they have much harder admissions also. closer to Stanford.

Franklin got Vandy to a bowl. That is a monumental feat.

The Davis I was thinking of is at Cincy. Who is undefeated right now.

Hoke didn't have 12-0 records year in and out before

Relatively speaking. You can't directly compare records like that. Many of the jobs were rebuilding to start with. And none of those programs have the resources or athletes. They have raised the bar at their respective schools. A number of them also take games they know they will lose for money. Like the SEC East.

Duke has a better record at this point this year than we do. And the last guys to be successful at Duke are either in the Hall of Fame(Bowden), or will be first ballot(Spurrier) If you can win there, you can win anywhere.

Northwestern is similar. You think its hard getting kids here? Try there, and they have much harder admissions also. closer to Stanford.

Next time, be a little more clear with your choices...

You'd take these guys over Bo? In all seriousness, you think these guys would do a better job? So if we get the current Duke HC, he'll show up at our place and win a couple hundred games?

But these teams you speak of, Vandy, Cincy, Northwestern, and Duke. Other than a good year here or there, has any of these teams been relevant in the college landscape in the past 10 or 15 years. Do you feel supremely confident that any of the aforementioned guys could lead us to the promise land. I highly doubt it.

What type of job do you think that Bo walked into? This team was pitiful, and the defense was flat out embarrassing. Yes, much worse than this year. Like I said, Fitzgerald could be argued. To me, Northwestern, ISU, and Vandy are all in the same category: average teams that barely make it to bowl games, but once or twice a year, they beat a team they have no business beating. That is what those programs are.

If that's what we want Nebraska to become permanently, then by all means, let's dump Bo and hitch our wagon to the land of mediocrity. And I don't mean win-8-or-9-games type of mediocrity. I mean ACTUAL mediocrity of 6 or 7 wins every year and shipping our team off to the toilet bowl in mid-December.

Bo has won 9 or 10 games EVERY season he has been here so far. I hope he does it again this season. This year, our defense is slow, unathletic, and just plain not getting the job done. IMO that is a result of the first 2 recruiting classes Bo had here. They were sub-par. Since then, he has found out how important recruiting is, and it has picked up. I am in the group that wants to see what Bo can do in 2 or 3 years when those younger guys are leading the team. If it doesn't work out at that point, then oh well, we move on.

It's just a little ridiculous to think that any other coach that has been mentioned that would REALISTICALLY come here could do better than what Bo has done in his first 4 years.

What type of job do you think that Bo walked into? This team was pitiful, and the defense was flat out embarrassing. Yes, much worse than this year. Like I said, Fitzgerald could be argued. To me, Northwestern, ISU, and Vandy are all in the same category: average teams that barely make it to bowl games, but once or twice a year, they beat a team they have no business beating. That is what those programs are.

If that's what we want Nebraska to become permanently, then by all means, let's dump Bo and hitch our wagon to the land of mediocrity. And I don't mean win-8-or-9-games type of mediocrity. I mean ACTUAL mediocrity of 6 or 7 wins every year and shipping our team off to the toilet bowl in mid-December.

Bo has won 9 or 10 games EVERY season he has been here so far. I hope he does it again this season. This year, our defense is slow, unathletic, and just plain not getting the job done. IMO that is a result of the first 2 recruiting classes Bo had here. They were sub-par. Since then, he has found out how important recruiting is, and it has picked up. I am in the group that wants to see what Bo can do in 2 or 3 years when those younger guys are leading the team. If it doesn't work out at that point, then oh well, we move on.

It's just a little ridiculous to think that any other coach that has been mentioned that would REALISTICALLY come here could do better than what Bo has done in his first 4 years.

This is exactly how I feel about things. People use the "Well this is his 5th year..." excuse way to much. That and the coaches people are throwing out wouldn't do any better than Bo. I hope we get some of these younger guys into games this second half of the season so people can see we're making progress. No use making another Solich mistake.

my choice

I was just going off of the ten year contract he signed in December which I know doesn't always mean anything but you would think he would want to stay here a while doing that. Also just what I've read in the paper on campus and his comments he's made on his radio show.

This is exactly how I feel about things. People use the "Well this is his 5th year..." excuse way to much. That and the coaches people are throwing out wouldn't do any better than Bo. I hope we get some of these younger guys into games this second half of the season so people can see we're making progress. No use making another Solich mistake.

I think there are coaches, such as Fitzgerald that would do better than Bo. I like Bo and want him to succeed but if you are saying 8-9 wins is all you want than Bo is the guy. He has proven that if he has superior talent he wins, but if it comes down to coaching we choke it away. We make the same mistakes today that we did 5 years ago, nothing has changed. I think Bo deserve 2 more years to see what he can do. I dont like the excuses that he is learning on the job or he needs better coaches around him, he hand picks his coaches and hires way too many first time coaches. I liked JP and his fire but he is in way over his head, You can blame recruiting all you want, Calladouche had some pretty good recruits but never developed talent, developing talent to me is more important and that is were we seem to have a issue at times. Bo seems to be married to a philosophy and system and is unable to adjust. The season isnt over but he deserves the pressure to perfrorm, I mean we have been blown out again OSU, South Carolina, UCLA (we werent blown out persay but we couldnt stop them if our lives depended on it), Wisconsin 2011, Michigan 2011. If you look at our losses from this year and last we are giving up 42pts per game on average in those 6 games we also have 16 combined turnovers in those 6 games, that not good and has to be corrected. That is the concern i have, we arent even competing with these teams, I think Pelini may have peaked as a coach, it seems as though we will beat the teams we should beat, will lose 1 game a year to someone we shouldnt, and teams that we are not quite as good as we will get dominated by and kill ourselves with mistakes. I am hoping I am proved wrong in this but I guess time will tell.

I think there are coaches, such as Fitzgerald that would do better than Bo. I like Bo and want him to succeed but if you are saying 8-9 wins is all you want than Bo is the guy. He has proven that if he has superior talent he wins, but if it comes down to coaching we choke it away. We make the same mistakes today that we did 5 years ago, nothing has changed. I think Bo deserve 2 more years to see what he can do. I dont like the excuses that he is learning on the job or he needs better coaches around him, he hand picks his coaches and hires way too many first time coaches. I liked JP and his fire but he is in way over his head, You can blame recruiting all you want, Calladouche had some pretty good recruits but never developed talent, developing talent to me is more important and that is were we seem to have a issue at times. Bo seems to be married to a philosophy and system and is unable to adjust. The season isnt over but he deserves the pressure to perfrorm, I mean we have been blown out again OSU, South Carolina, UCLA (we werent blown out persay but we couldnt stop them if our lives depended on it), Wisconsin 2011, Michigan 2011. If you look at our losses from this year and last we are giving up 42pts per game on average in those 6 games we also have 16 combined turnovers in those 6 games, that not good and has to be corrected. That is the concern i have, we arent even competing with these teams, I think Pelini may have peaked as a coach, it seems as though we will beat the teams we should beat, will lose 1 game a year to someone we shouldnt, and teams that we are not quite as good as we will get dominated by and kill ourselves with mistakes. I am hoping I am proved wrong in this but I guess time will tell.

And why do you think this? If he was a better coach, don't you think he would have better records then what he does?

And why do you think this? If he was a better coach, don't you think he would have better records then what he does?

lets not even pretend Northwestern and Nebraska are equal. If you think for a minute that nebraska and northwestern are equal in football then just how far have we truly fallen. Northwestern has been one of the worst programs ever and nebraska has been a traditional power. Also if you want to argue with wins, I will say which coach is 1-0 when they have played eachother?