Name your new coach

Bill Cowher would be my top pick, even though there is zero chance of that happening, since he has his pick of NFL jobs. Would love to have Saban of course, but he's not leaving the SEC.

Others:

Rich Rodriguez

Dan Mullen

Chris Petersen

Gary Patterson

Bobby Petrino

Jon Gruden

I also wouldn't mind Pete Carroll or Jim Tressel. Yes there would be sanctions to deal with, but the payoff in the long run would be worth it. Or what about former Tennessee coach Philip Fulmer? Won a NC at Tennessee, very underrated.

what about former Tennessee coach Philip Fulmer? Won a NC at Tennessee, very underrated.

You can't be serious the year before he got lucky he had his a$$ handed to him by NE and he had Peyton Manning for his QB.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

Bill Cowher would be my top pick, even though there is zero chance of that happening, since he has his pick of NFL jobs. Would love to have Saban of course, but he's not leaving the SEC.

Others:

Rich Rodriguez

Dan Mullen

Chris Petersen

Gary Patterson

Bobby Petrino

Jon Gruden

I also wouldn't mind Pete Carroll or Jim Tressel. Yes there would be sanctions to deal with, but the payoff in the long run would be worth it. Or what about former Tennessee coach Philip Fulmer? Won a NC at Tennessee, very underrated.

what about former Tennessee coach Philip Fulmer? Won a NC at Tennessee, very underrated.

You can't be serious the year before he got lucky he had his a$$ handed to him by NE and he had Peyton Manning for his QB.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

Who would you take from the pro ranks Bull? I picked guys who were younger(cept wade) and that have some HC experience and are defensive guys(cept mcdaniels)!

I should've clarified, Bo shouldn't lost his job UNLESS we can somehow get Saban. Assistant coaches need to be re evaluated. Starting with OL, DC, ST and OC - and leaving competition open daily. No way another qb shouldn't of been in that game vs Ohio State. I've been hammered for saying it, but we won't ever be an elite team with Taylor at the helm. For every big play he makes 2-3 knucklehead plays (interception, fumble, bad read - passing or running).

How do you know that at the end of the FB seasons the assistant coaches don't get re-evaluated. but load of speculation on your part.

Cotton is still here... He obviously hasn't been re-evaluated properly. The hiring of Beck/Papuchis is highly questionable, at least somewhat premature. Very few big time programs lost a coordinator and promote from within looking for a "young gun", cheap and on the rise. A program looking to turn the corner needs to stop taking risks and start getting proven commodities.

We kept Pap around. Pap is a big part of our staff. Energetic, good recruiter, gets after it. Stoops may have been valuable as a coach, too. But I don't think it's a clear case of being able to point to that as a mistake. Pap and Beck are guys that get scrutiny now for holding coordinator positions, but both those guys have been exceptional, pull-their-weight-plus-some guys on the staff for a long time.

So you don't think our defense would be better off with Mark Stoops then Pap? Didn't say the guy was bad, said he wasn't ready for the position, which he isn't. Maybe in two years, maybe next year, but it's not a risk a program on the brink of turning the corner needs to make.

When your goal is to turn the corner, you just don't hire coaches that are learning on the job.

We kept Pap around. Pap is a big part of our staff. Energetic, good recruiter, gets after it. Stoops may have been valuable as a coach, too. But I don't think it's a clear case of being able to point to that as a mistake. Pap and Beck are guys that get scrutiny now for holding coordinator positions, but both those guys have been exceptional, pull-their-weight-plus-some guys on the staff for a long time.

No to mention, especially considering the improvement Beck has shown in just 1+ season, that these could develop into very good assistants, and maybe we get lucky and they want to stick around here, as opposed to hiring that big established name, possible getting immediate success, but find ourselve playing musical Coordinators every 3 years. Continuity is what we're trying to build here. Any judgements on Papuchis should be reserved till after the year is over, or at least mostly.

As far as Stoops goes, to OregonHusker, are you talking about Mark or Mike? Mike was the Head Coach at Arizona, the one I am assuming you are referring to. Bobby threw him a bone to come back to Oklahoma this year after his firing at Arizona. Mark Stoops was taken from Mike by Jimbo Fisher. I think you just have the names mixed up. Damn Stoops anyway.

So you don't think our defense would be better off with Mark Stoops then Pap? Didn't say the guy was bad, said he wasn't ready for the position, which he isn't. Maybe in two years, maybe next year, but it's not a risk a program on the brink of turning the corner needs to make.

When your goal is to turn the corner, you just don't hire coaches that are learning on the job.

How are they supposed to learn? If this whole world was built on the notion that people can not be allowed to to learn on the job, holy hell, we'd already be dun.

The Arizona stoops. Guy was not a good head coach but he knows defense. Well, they can learn at another school.. That isn't desperate to then the corner. When there are proven commodities, you go after them. You can't tell me Beck and Papuchis were ready to be coordinators over Stoops or the like. Everyone knew we promoted Pap to keep him on board, not because he was some defensive genius waiting in the wings.

How are they supposed to learn? If this whole world was built on the notion that people can not be allowed to to learn on the job, holy hell, we'd already be dun.

that is the thing. pelini seemed to have made some mistakes recruiting. that takes time to figure out and more time to repair. we seem to still be on the right track, but for how fast a game football has become it takes more time to adjust and react. bo is still a first time head coach.

The Arizona stoops. Guy was not a good head coach but he knows defense. Well, they can learn at another school.. That isn't desperate to then the corner. When there are proven commodities, you go after them. You can't tell me Beck and Papuchis were ready to be coordinators over Stoops or the like. Everyone knew we promoted Pap to keep him on board, not because he was some defensive genius waiting in the wings.

he is good at recruiting. between that and bo's proven experience as a 'd' coordinator, given some time they could be a deadly combo.

He could turn out just fine in a couple years, which is possible. But we don't have a couple years anymore. We can't always be playing for "a couple years down the road". We have to play to win the game! Getting the best assistants is how you do that. It's not a coincidence the SEC pays the most to the best assistants, and happens to be the best conference.

There has to be give and take. Maybe Stoops wouldnt fit in Bo's overall philosophy the way he does things (i know, I know, for the sake of this discussion, dont start). With Papuchis he has someone whom he's been with longer than Stoops. I know the two spent a year together as Co-DC's in 2004 at OU, and who knows, maybe they didnt work well together, as to why Bo took off after one season, and didnt want to look him this past offseason. We dont really know. But there is nothing wrong with letting a guy like Papuchis learn on the job, as if he's doing all that we assume he is anyway.