I hope this is just coach speak, interview with Bo.

Missed tackles have ALWAYS been an issue in football. But in today's way of spread out football, one missed tackle can result in a 50+ yard score quite easily. years back a missed tackle would maybe result in a 5-10 yard gain. Bo explained this, and I STILL dont know what some of the bickering is for. What dont some of you convince the program that they need a speech writer or a teleprompter handler for Bo, and then apply for the job. Good grief, as a society we are so hellbent on the little words that people use that we completely ignore the message.

I know everybody gets tired of hearing Bo say the word "execution" all the time in post-game pressers, but he is 100% right. Execution is what it boils down to in all sports at all times. I don't see why people get so upset when Bo points this out.

Because if players are continually not executing what the coaches want, either the coaches are not teaching well enough, or the players simply cannot do what they are being asked to do. So something has to change, and nothing ever does. We keep hearing the same lame excuses over and over.

Good grief, as a society we are so hellbent on the little words that people use that we completely ignore the message.

Picking apart speeches for tiny things and playing semantics games is generally a tool for those looking to sling as much mud as possible while not offering up much themselves. It's pretty revealing.

If anything Bo is being completely honest and throwing most of the coach speak to the side. His defense has won conference championships and a national championship, it should have a few more if it weren't for an abysmal offense his first years here. The problem is simply that players aren't executing. Even if you hate hearing it over and over, that's what it is. That doesn't mean Bo is immune from criticism because these are his guys and they're performance is ultimately a reflective of him on many levels (recruiting, development, adjusting schemes, etc.). This final stretch will be very telling of Bo's character and ability. No one would blame him if he totally scrapped his defense and just went with basic blitzes and coverages from here on out. In fact at this point I think that is the best thing for teams like Northwestern.

I'm just amazed that everyone was saying at the beginning of the year that this would be a tough one, and now that it's coming to fruition they are jumping off the ledge. The cupboards aren't bare. We have some talented guys with redshirts and we had a promising JUCO go down before he could really make an impact. I haven't written this year off, but we have a very favorable schedule next year and quite a few promising young guns. There is hope despite what some people think.

• Fire 1

Can't believe nobody has noted this little nugget...

>> A caller asked what Nebraska’s staff was doing to address tackling problems that stung the Huskers in losses to UCLA and Ohio State.

“Keep working at it, keep stressing it,” Pelini said. “Nothing magical you can do. We practice tackling just about every day. What are you gonna do?”

More "we're doing everything right, the players just aren't getting it" mentality.

Here's a thought...how about trying something different? What you're currently doing isn't working.

Please explain what they could do different? since you love nit picking on everything he say's, just explain on what they could do different.

It's the same crap all the time. I know I posted this same stuff three years ago. It hasn't changed and won't. I like BO but to be honest I'm tired of his being such an ass to people all the time. An example: my wife and I were in the elevator with some other fans at the cornhusker hotel the day of the Wisconsin game. The elevator opens up on floor 3 and Bo is standing there looking at us. We all say hey BO, good luck etc....he stands there and stares at us without saying a word. Not a word. I'm beginning to believe other that his canned statements about execution and the us vs them mentality, he really doesn't know what to do. Hope I'm wrong.

I remember talking to Bo the same day, and he was very friendly. You and your wife must not be friendly enough.

I shouldn't have tried to give him a hug...I think that's where I went wrong.

It was all about your lack of Execution. ^_^

I'm not Bo's biggest fan at the current time but nothing he says is going to make anyone happy. If we go out the rest of the year and play hard-nosed football and limit the mistakes to some extent I'll be okay considering what we've got for a schedule in the next 2 years. If we completely bomb those 2 years then I'll be getting out my own pitchforks and torches. You can't nit-pick everything he says because let's face it, he sucks at public speaking.

Good grief, as a society we are so hellbent on the little words that people use that we completely ignore the message.

Picking apart speeches for tiny things and playing semantics games is generally a tool for those looking to sling as much mud as possible while not offering up much themselves. It's pretty revealing.

Well said.

I'm not Bo's biggest fan at the current time but nothing he says is going to make anyone happy. If we go out the rest of the year and play hard-nosed football and limit the mistakes to some extent I'll be okay considering what we've got for a schedule in the next 2 years. If we completely bomb those 2 years then I'll be getting out my own pitchforks and torches. You can't nit-pick everything he says because let's face it, he sucks at public speaking.

I'll agree. I'm as big'a Bo-backer as anyone, but if we bomb the next two years, then yes, by then it will time for a change. I was a Callahan supporter up to the '07 USC game. The programs was taking steps. Sure '06 ended badly, but we were very competitive with two very good teams (Auburn was the only team to beat that season's National Champion). But when the USC game in '07 came around, and then the near Ball St. disaster a week later it became clearly evident it just was not going to work out. So, I joined the crowd and got my pitchforks out too.

I just believe in patience. Cally only got 4 years, and Bo is in #5 and I'm asking for more, but with Cally is was obvious. There was plenty of evidence. With Bo. Not YET. If we finish this year with the status quo 9 wins, then yes, two more years should be a reasonable guarantee. But we also have to define exactly what a "flop" in the next two years would be...

With the scheduling and a veteran offense, I'm gladly to say that anything less than a division championship would be borderline unacceptable. It would be tough to require a Big 10 championship simply because of what Ohio St. is probably going to be. That's something that could vary througout the season. Requiring a BCS bowl and/or MNC would just be ludicrous. As far as wins go, any thing less than 10 win regular seasons the next couple, could spell bad news. I hope not, but it could.

I'll agree. I'm as big'a Bo-backer as anyone, but if we bomb the next two years, then yes, by then it will time for a change. I was a Callahan supporter up to the '07 USC game. The programs was taking steps. Sure '06 ended badly, but we were very competitive with two very good teams (Auburn was the only team to beat that season's National Champion). But when the USC game in '07 came around, and then the near Ball St. disaster a week later it became clearly evident it just was not going to work out. So, I joined the crowd and got my pitchforks out too.

I just believe in patience. Cally only got 4 years, and Bo is in #5 and I'm asking for more, but with Cally is was obvious. There was plenty of evidence. With Bo. Not YET. If we finish this year with the status quo 9 wins, then yes, two more years should be a reasonable guarantee. But we also have to define exactly what a "flop" in the next two years would be...

With the scheduling and a veteran offense, I'm gladly to say that anything less than a division championship would be borderline unacceptable. It would be tough to require a Big 10 championship simply because of what Ohio St. is probably going to be. That's something that could vary througout the season. Requiring a BCS bowl and/or MNC would just be ludicrous. As far as wins go, any thing less than 10 win regular seasons the next couple, could spell bad news. I hope not, but it could.

I am in the same boat as you are with Bo...If we can finish with another 9-10 win season and a win in the bowl game, i will be happy. Next year should line up good for us with our schedule and if he lays an egg in a couple games, then I will start doubting him as a coach.

Agreed. I'd like to face them in the Title game at least once though. That would be enough for me to keep Bo here.

And I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't jump off the Cally bandwagon until the Oklahoma State game that year. Some of us are slow : )

If, in fact, the main problem is lack of player execution... which is quite reasonable... then let us ask why the players are not executing. Here are potentials reasons for lack of execution.

1. players not knowing well what their assignments are --- this comes back to coaching... make it simple enough to comprehend and execute

2. players do not line up correctly on defense (which happens a great deal) --- this again comes back to coaching... make it clear where they should line up

3. players are stressed and unsure, in part from reasons #1 and #2 --- and fear being publicly ridiculed by coaches if they fail to execute... so they play nervous and unfocused

4. the players simply are not D1-level players --- they know what they are to do, but do not have the skills to do it.

There are likely other reasons for lack of execution as well. But... generally, most of the reasons come back in some way to coaching. Adapt the scheme, the communication and the assignments to make them doable given your talent --- and provide a context whereby players can play hard w/o fear of being wailed upon if the do not execute what they do not understand.

That is, largely the lack of execution of this magnitude across so many players to this degree... well it comes down to coaching again.