B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Thanks. I was thinking of the ACC, I guess. I could have sworn there was something that took place right after Missouri and aTm got voted in where there were exit fees or penalties, though...
So, I guess Missouri is in play if the B1G is interested, and we know that Missouri was hot on the B1G before...

Yeah, I think Mizzou went to the SEC because they needed to get out of the BigXIIish, and the SEC was available. For some reason, I don't remember the B1G being interested...which is weird because Mizzou is an AAU member, has good athletics and fan support, and brings good TV markets. Question is would they leave if the B1G came calling? I can't answer that one.

The problem is almost no team that is worthwhile is available. No one is going to leave the SEC. The ACC just passed a $50 million exit fee, so no one from there. The PAC12 owns the media rights of it's members. And I think the Big XII does now also. Leaving the Big East members, or lower level conference members, which the B1G would have no interest in. Really leaving the options as being Louisville and Rutgers as the best remaining options. And I don't know if either really add value.

Teams from the South make sense, creating a better inroad for recruiting. But unless the B1G is going to pull a couple from Sun Belt or CUSA. South Florida and Louisville are the Big East members from the south.

The problem is almost no team that is worthwhile is available. No one is going to leave the SEC. The ACC just passed a $50 million exit fee, so no one from there. The PAC12 owns the media rights of it's members. And I think the Big XII does now also. Leaving the Big East members, or lower level conference members, which the B1G would have no interest in. Really leaving the options as being Louisville and Rutgers as the best remaining options. And I don't know if either really add value.

Teams from the South make sense, creating a better inroad for recruiting. But unless the B1G is going to pull a couple from Sun Belt or CUSA. South Florida and Louisville are the Big East members from the south.

That's the problem. If these conferences are making it impossible to get out (like a jail), there's something wrong. Your conference should operate in a way that it doesn't matter what the exit fee is because nobody wants to leave. I'm not really a fan of the 4 "Super" conferences, but when some of the "minor" ones panic, crap like this happens.

For some reason, I don't remember the B1G being interested

This is partially true. The fact is the B1G really wanted Nebraska more to make 12 teams. If they went more than 12, Missouri would have been in the mix.

True, but I don't know if Missouri would have been in the mix originally unless the B1G went to 16. I think the Florida, Georgia, and NE schools would be ahead of Missouri in the pecking order--better TV markets, and with FL and GA, better recruiting bases too.

Missouri would be a good bookend and I suppose give Nebraska a 'rivalry' (if you could call it that) back.

As for Texass joining the Big 10...hey, as long as they are willing to cede control of WhornTV to the BTN offices and Fox (or perhaps set up a deal similar to the Pac-12 deal where ESPN and Fox own jointly?) and Walt Anderson or any other Whorn alum is forbidden from holding any position of authority in the B1G (especially over officiating), then *maybe* we could talk.

That, and we get Texass to issue a public statement crowning Nebraska the true and legitimate 2009 Big XII title holder, then we talk.

This is partially true. The fact is the B1G really wanted Nebraska more to make 12 teams. If they went more than 12, Missouri would have been in the mix.

True, but I don't know if Missouri would have been in the mix originally unless the B1G went to 16. I think the Florida, Georgia, and NE schools would be ahead of Missouri in the pecking order--better TV markets, and with FL and GA, better recruiting bases too.

Missouri would be a good bookend and I suppose give Nebraska a 'rivalry' (if you could call it that) back.

As for Texass joining the Big 10...hey, as long as they are willing to cede control of WhornTV to the BTN offices and Fox (or perhaps set up a deal similar to the Pac-12 deal where ESPN and Fox own jointly?) and Walt Anderson or any other Whorn alum is forbidden from holding any position of authority in the B1G (especially over officiating), then *maybe* we could talk.

That, and we get Texass to issue a public statement crowning Nebraska the true and legitimate 2009 Big XII title holder, then we talk.

2 questions.

1. If we win the CCG in '09, is Bo getting all the criticism right now?

2. Do we still leave the Big 12?

2 questions.

Yes you leave...here's why...

Biggest reason CO, UNL, TAMU, and Mizzou left is because of stability. It is an unstable conference ruled by a single school. Every single time the Big XII issues a statement, the media doesn't interview the commish...they interview Dodds. When 1 AD is speaking for an entire conference, something is wrong. That conference may survive, but it will survive as an also-ran. Any conference that shares revenue unequally and publicy values 1 school over all else is doomed to fail eventually.

• Fire 3

2 questions.

Yes you leave...here's why...

Biggest reason CO, UNL, TAMU, and Mizzou left is because of stability. It is an unstable conference ruled by a single school. Every single time the Big XII issues a statement, the media doesn't interview the commish...they interview Dodds. When 1 AD is speaking for an entire conference, something is wrong. That conference may survive, but it will survive as an also-ran. Any conference that shares revenue unequally and publicy values 1 school over all else is doomed to fail eventually.

Exactly. That conference was minutes from an epic crash a little over a year ago. They fired their commissioner and hired a temp that essentially put a bandaid on their gunshot wound by bringing a school from the Big East and another from a Non-AQ conference.

1. What the f**k is this b******t "if we win the CCG in '09". Motherf****r, we *did* win the CCG in '09 and had it stolen from us by crooked whores of officials, Walt Anderson, and Dan Beebe.

And yes, we'd still be on Bo's jock because we're Nebraska, and if there's one thing we like more than casually reminding the world we had *the* two toughest National Title teams in NCAA football history, it's bitching about the perceived ineptitude of our head coach.

2. Yes. Perhaps the only thing that T. Boones Farms Pickens was truthful about in his entire life was that Nebraska had coveted Big 10 membership for a long time, ever since Devaney was coach and AD.

That, along with Texass' power grab (and subsequently tripping over their own scholng against Harvey the Wonder Chancellor), the lack of a national media presence that was controlled by the conference itself (as opposed to Fox Sports and ESPN s*****g all over Nebraska unchallenged), and the instability of the conference's future all ensured that we would leave for the B1G.

And frankly, even if the Big XII did pull their collective heads out of their rectum and got a Big XII network going, Nebraska still wouldn't have received a fair shake from the office. Just look at the asshat hack Wendell Barnhouse that the Big XII rescued from the soup line to reinvent as some sort of Big XII media cheerleader. The man hated Nebraska with a passion, and made it a point of this repeatedly in his Ft. Worth Star-Telegram columns.

That hatred carried on and ran unchecked in his new gig, but in more subtle ways--Nebraska's glaring omissions from their weekly reports on the conference doings...unless the news was negative or was in defense of the Big XII, his venom towards Nebraska in our final days of the conference (some of which has been taken down, actually...). In short, if the Big XII was willing to let an asshat like Barnhouse run unchecked against their second-biggest conference national media draw, what hope did we have that we'd get fair, equal, and positive exposure on a Big XII conference-ran network?

• Fire 1

Texas and OU never join. ever.

They will never let them selves become "equals" with the rest of this conference. especially when they are getting the bulk of the television money. why would they share that?

And no they won't be like Nebraska, they won't take a back seat, they won't accept what the big 10 demands. they will want exceptions, and if any successful deal ever happens. than it is clear all the other Big 10 teams just got f'd in the ass.

I think OU's issue is being chained to OSU. They could go PAC or even B1G, but Pickens won't let that happen without osu, and nobody wants them...mediocre athletics and sheety academics.

You are correct. T. Boones Farms Pickens has a lot of his bought and paid for men in the Oklahoma legislature, and Pickens issued a statement saying that Oklahoma wasn't going anywhere without OSU. If anything, that may be why OU's athletic department was content to publicly say they were hitching their proverbial schooner to Texass--because as long as they have to drag their creepy backwater brother from Stillwater along with them, Oklahoma is stuck.

Granted, the then-Pac-10 was willing to take Oklahoma and Okie Lite, but only as a package deal with other schools to balance out the suck negative intangibles that OSU athletics bring to the table. The only conference that may be willing to roll the dice on taking just OU and OSU would be the SEC...and Oklahoma knows they don't want any part of that.