B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Guys, guys ,guys(and Lady :) ).......

There are thousands of recruits in NJ, Maryland, Eastern PA and Northern Virginia that are just ripe for the picking now when you can look into Mama's eyes and let her know that you can see your kids play at home.

Maryland and Rutgers are both top tier Public Universities that get us into markets(and Minds) that the Big Ten couldn't get before. Rutgers is a NYC area school with connections to NYU, Columbia and Princeton. Now the Big Ten has a few ties to those schools but now we will have more.

NYC through the beltway is the most densely populated area in the Western Hemisphere I believe. I think only The Chinese Coast and Japan are more so.

Now Carolina, GIT and UVA would be the best options in the Eastern Time zone but those schools seem to be in it for the longhaul(ACC wise)

No one in NYC cares about college football. No one at NYU, Columbia, and Princeton care about sports.

Sooooo shortsighted.....

This isn't about Maryland and Rutgers. It's improving the lot of the 12 committed schools

This brings MONEY and Recruiting ground. Princeton isn't in the business of academics for nothing. They make MONEY.

Great. We'll have Fortune 500 and Wall St. run the league while we watch sh*tty sports. Sounds terrific.

What do you not get about expanding recruiting?

This doesn't affect OSU or Nebraska in any way but positively. Do you guys NOT want East Coast recruits? The Chesapeake Bay area is littered with talent. suddenly the Big Ten doesn't become as strange a choice to kids and their parents.

Take the extreme example that you take. "Sh!tty Sports" as you call it. Will Nebraska football be negatively impacted? Of course not. Would love to know if you can think something up. If 9-1 Rutgers is as bad as you say then all they would bring is another easy win to a conference schedule.

There are thousands of recruits in NJ, Maryland, Eastern PA and Northern Virginia that are just ripe for the picking now when you can look into Mama's eyes and let her know that you can see your kids play at home.

Maryland and Rutgers are both top tier Public Universities that get us into markets(and Minds) that the Big Ten couldn't get before. Rutgers is a NYC area school with connections to NYU, Columbia and Princeton. Now the Big Ten has a few ties to those schools but now we will have more.

NYC through the beltway is the most densely populated area in the Western Hemisphere I believe. I think only The Chinese Coast and Japan are more so.

Now Carolina, GIT and UVA would be the best options in the Eastern Time zone but those schools seem to be in it for the longhaul(ACC wise)

No one in NYC cares about college football. No one at NYU, Columbia, and Princeton care about sports.

Sooooo shortsighted.....

This isn't about Maryland and Rutgers. It's improving the lot of the 12 committed schools

This brings MONEY and Recruiting ground. Princeton isn't in the business of academics for nothing. They make MONEY.

Great. We'll have Fortune 500 and Wall St. run the league while we watch sh*tty sports. Sounds terrific.

This doesn't affect OSU or Nebraska in any way but positively. Do you guys NOT want East Coast recruits? The Chesapeake Bay area is littered with talent. suddenly the Big Ten doesn't become as strange a choice to kids and their parents.

Take the extreme example that you take. "Sh!tty Sports" as you call it. Will Nebraska football be negatively impacted? Of course not. Would love to know if you can think something up. If 9-1 Rutgers is as bad as you say then all they would bring is another easy win to a conference schedule.

Nebraska recruited a guy from New Jersey once. His name was Mike Rozier. I think he won the Heisman Trophy. That was back when the closest state in Nebraska's conference to NJ was Iowa. Jason and Christian Peter were pretty good too. They were from New Jersey. They helped us win National Championships. Last I checked Maryland and Rutgers weren't needed in the conference to recruit any of them.

Sooooo shortsighted.....

I don't want an easy win, I want a respected conference. We alread have illinois, indiana, minnisota, iowa and sometimes purdue for our easy wins

I don't like the idea. Maryland is not so great at Football now, Rutgers seems to be peaking a little bit, but over all I think it would make our conference weaker by moving them in. Like many of you have , I would not mind Notre Dame, but we all know that isn't going to happen. Just leave the BIG as it is for now.

Mizz was all but headed to the big ten, till there gov opened his mouth

I woulld like to see Missouri in the BIG over both Maryland and Rutgers, I think they would be a great addition to the BIG, plus we could drive them crazy by beating them again year after year, except for 2007 or course.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/21030684/delanys-long-term-play-for-big-ten-network-riches-maryland-rutgers-to-big-ten

A little silly to say that the Big Ten would invite Carolina for football only, but Carolina is the crown jewel. They are the center of the ACC, coveted by the SEC and maybe with a little push Big Ten bound?

I guess this makes sense in terms of TV market and academics. I don't like this conference expansion business and prefer the days when conferences were close geographically. However, if everyone is racing to form super conferences it's reassuring to see the B1G pick up some good schools in populous areas and not get left out of the school grab. Crazy that one team is from the Big Least and the other is ACC.

The days when we picked up recruits from NJ are different from today. There wasn't as much national TV coverage and recognition unless you went to a traditional football powerhouse like NU. Still can't imagine going to Maryland for a football game.

I could see it for recruiting, I suppose. But I don't think the conference office cares about anything except money and rep, which is as it should be.

Notre Dame keeps being mentioned, in context of the HUGE money they make off NBC. I believe they make about half of what any B1G team makes, according to some stories I read online in the last year or so. The reason they accept that is to stay independent and in control of their own destiny, for better or worse.

Maryland and Rutgers do nothing for me, personally, but I trust Delany. He brought NU in, after all, and was one of the masterminds behind the BTN. So, as I trusted Osborne with Nebraska, I trust Jim with the conference. I have doubts, but will set them aside and trust in Jim, who is in much better position, and has way more knowledge, to guide us properly.

If these stories are accurate, we are on the verge of another seismic realignment, and this probably signals the end of the Big 12, whether that be immediate or at the end of their media rights period. I do not see how they can survive, and I am grateful that Dr. Tom got us out of that burning dump when he did.