B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

I used to think Delaney was a smart guy, but ever since the whole "legends/leaders" thing I've had my doubts. Now I'm sure I was wrong.

Patience. If the B1G was wanting to make a move, these two teams would only be brought in along with name schools that would raise the football profile.

IMO, I think the reports of Georgia Tech to the B1G are more credible than Maryland. But if you pair those two with, say, a Georgia Tech and a North Carolina, Florida State, or Missouri...then you're talking about a great expansion that couples quality programs with good media and recruiting market expansions.

Plus, Delaney is no Beebe. Unlike most conference commissioners, I have faith in Delaney and his track record. If Legends/Leaders is his worst misstep, we will be praising this man's vision for decades to come.

However if we can loose this idea of a contingious footprint wouldn't we rather have Florida St and Clemson? These are bigger brands that already have a supporting fan base.

Delaney already said in the past that contiguous expansion wasn't realistic--it came within the slew of comments from him about Southern population shifts.

I wouldn't rule out a FSU or Ga. Tech with these two and an expansion to 16 schools. North Carolina and Clemson would be good alongside Rutgers a d Maryland too.

You make an excellent point about ga tech....remember when Nebraska was looking to get in....everything was still pretty quiet. This just came out of nowhere...almost as if Delaney wanted it known they were talking to these two schools. Maybe he's putting some pressure on some other targets...

I used to think Delaney was a smart guy, but ever since the whole "legends/leaders" thing I've had my doubts. Now I'm sure I was wrong.

Patience. If the B1G was wanting to make a move, these two teams would only be brought in along with name schools that would raise the football profile.

IMO, I think the reports of Georgia Tech to the B1G are more credible than Maryland. But if you pair those two with, say, a Georgia Tech and a North Carolina, Florida State, or Missouri...then you're talking about a great expansion that couples quality programs with good media and recruiting market expansions.

Plus, Delaney is no Beebe. Unlike most conference commissioners, I have faith in Delaney and his track record. If Legends/Leaders is his worst misstep, we will be praising this man's vision for decades to come.

However if we can loose this idea of a contingious footprint wouldn't we rather have Florida St and Clemson? These are bigger brands that already have a supporting fan base.

Delaney already said in the past that contiguous expansion wasn't realistic--it came within the slew of comments from him about Southern population shifts.

I wouldn't rule out a FSU or Ga. Tech with these two and an expansion to 16 schools. North Carolina and Clemson would be good alongside Rutgers a d Maryland too.

You make an excellent point about ga tech....remember when Nebraska was looking to get in....everything was still pretty quiet. This just came out of nowhere...almost as if Delaney wanted it known they were talking to these two schools. Maybe he's putting some pressure on some other targets...

Exactly, IRAFreak. And how long was it a sure and public thing that Missouri was going to the Big 10? :)

I'm thinking that like Nebraska, the big fish they're landing isn't the one being talked about.

If the tea leaves are to be believed, there will be a vote in Maryland tomorrow, and one at Rutgers on Tuesday. Word is, the end game gets Ga tech and UNC in as well, although who knows when, or if, that will happen.

link/source?

Funny thing about tea leaves. You dont always know where they come from, and they aren't always right. I guess we will know for sure in the next few days.

I don't want Maryland!!!!!!!!!!

:ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh

The only conceivable reason I could see for taking Maryland is because Under Armour's owner is a booster for them. But apparently he doesn't donate enough to their athletic dept because they have had to cut multiple sports teams because they are broke.

This move makes zero sense to me at the moment. This is my hope: people have been talking about the B1G having great lawyers and may have found a loophole in the 50-mil exit fee from the ACC. They could just be toying with Maryland to prove to Florida State, Georgia Tech, VaTech, UVA, and UNC that those loopholes exist. And when Maryland applies to join the B1G, Delaney throws it back in their face and snatches up 4 of the GOOD programs instead. Grabbing FSU, GT, VaTech, and UNC or ND would shake the college football landscape and force the other 3 super conferences to take shape.

Looks like in a few years, the only real conferences that will be left are the B1G, SEC, Big 12, and Pac 12. Exciting world we live in.

This doesn't help branding at all, doesn't make the conference stronger, and adds a foothold in an area where people could not possibly care any less about college football

yes im still mad

Since when does New York City and DC not care about college football? They may not care for the local teams, but if you can get them watching quality programs, like, say, a certain program in Lincoln, Ann Arbor, or Columbus, then the expansions will have done their job. More functional than flashy.

I agree with you that they do nothing to help with the B1G's perception in college football, though.

People in the Northeast aren't going to start watching Big Ten football just because a local team happens to be sitting in the cellar of the conference standings.

This doesn't help branding at all, doesn't make the conference stronger, and adds a foothold in an area where people could not possibly care any less about college football

yes im still mad

Since when does New York City and DC not care about college football? They may not care for the local teams, but if you can get them watching quality programs, like, say, a certain program in Lincoln, Ann Arbor, or Columbus, then the expansions will have done their job. More functional than flashy.

I agree with you that they do nothing to help with the B1G's perception in college football, though.

People in the Northeast aren't going to start watching Big Ten football just because a local team happens to be sitting in the cellar of the conference standings.

Exactly