B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

@McMurphyESPN

Maryland prez tells regents MD, RU in Leaders Division w/OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, Purdue & Indiana. Illinois moves to Legends

So:

Leaders

Indiana

Maryland

Ohio State

Penn State

Purdue

Rutgers

Wisconsin

Legends

Illinois

Iowa

Michigan

Michigan State

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

We're almost going to have to move toward nine conference games or we're never going to play the other division teams. With home-and-home games, we'll go 14 years without playing some of our Leaders Division opponents playing only eight games a year.

Do you think we will drop the annual crossover game vs penn state?

That NYT piece has been posted and discussed a number of times. There are real problems with it. I wouldn't base anything off of it.

Such as?...

Mizzou and Kansas are NOT good expansion pieces by themselves. Especially for Football.

Nope. Though Kansas would go nicely with a North Carolina, Clemson, or FSU. And it would be nice for us to have our migration game against Kansas back...

FSU is a tough call. I think that is a little far. I don't think they fit the Big Ten profile.

Kansas and UNC would be welcomed. But Kansas is a sidedish and UNC is the T-Bone Steak.

@McMurphyESPN

Maryland prez tells regents MD, RU in Leaders Division w/OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, Purdue & Indiana. Illinois moves to Legends

So:

Leaders

Indiana

Maryland

Ohio State

Penn State

Purdue

Rutgers

Wisconsin

Legends

Illinois

Iowa

Michigan

Michigan State

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

We're almost going to have to move toward nine conference games or we're never going to play the other division teams. With home-and-home games, we'll go 14 years without playing some of our Leaders Division opponents playing only eight games a year.

They will have to unless they move to the idea of 4 pods and then they play against another pod.

I dont have an issue with 9 conf games... eventually most conferences will go to that... Only makes it tougher and tougher to go undefeated.

That NYT piece has been posted and discussed a number of times. There are real problems with it. I wouldn't base anything off of it.

Such as?...

Mizzou and Kansas are NOT good expansion pieces by themselves. Especially for Football.

Nope. Though Kansas would go nicely with a North Carolina, Clemson, or FSU. And it would be nice for us to have our migration game against Kansas back...

FSU is a tough call. I think that is a little far. I don't think they fit the Big Ten profile.

Kansas and UNC would be welcomed. But Kansas is a sidedish and UNC is the T-Bone Steak.

Think of the recruiting and TV markets they'd open up. Very big door that would open for the B1G, and it would strike at the heart of the SEC and open up Florida to the whole of the B1G.

And FSU is actively attempting to obtain AAU status--I thought they had it before, but they don't, but they're actively working towards obtaining it. Academically, I believe they're on par or slightly better than Nebraska.

I doubt B1G makes it to Jan 1 without adding 2 more.

Just two? :)

Wisky is getting the shaft because Pizza boy AD up in ann arbor doesn't want to be in the same division as the Bucks.

Exactly, we're getting screwed bad by this deal. This is effed up.

This makes me OOOO SO SAD!

O dear.. poor Bucky.... O THE HUMANITY!

You'd whine just as much if NU was in UW's position. Take a step back, abandon your pure and unwarranted hatred for UW and examine the proposed divisions. If those are accurate the B1G is treating UW in a similar manner as the ACC treated UMD.

Wisky is getting the shaft because Pizza boy AD up in ann arbor doesn't want to be in the same division as the Bucks.

Agree, this (having mich in our division) also forces us to retain the annual cross over game - thus to keep the Mich and OSU game going yearly. I'd rather we move swap Mich for Wisc and do away with the cross over game if needed so that we can rotate the other schools into the schedule. Things would be much simplier if we went to a true East/West division.

Indiana

Maryland

Ohio State

Penn State

Purdue

Rutgers

Wisconsin

It's in everyone's best interest to complain about the leaders. We want ann arbor in the division and it looks a little unfair for the rest.

Outside of Wisky we should run this pretty easy every year now that PSU has become a Eunuch for the next 5 years.