B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

While I'd like to have Oklahoma I'm not sure Oklahoma would like the Big Ten. Nebraska had always flirted with the idea of joining up, OU not so much. While NU may not have historic rivalries with its new conference mates (I hesitate to call Iowa one) they fit in well culturally...I'm not sure about OU. They'd enjoy playing NU and that'd be it. Though the OSU/PSU/UM - OU games would be pretty awesome.

The ball is starting to roll towards the 4 16-team Super Conferences. Selfishly I wish the Big Ten could add a few of our old Big 8 brethren, especially Oklahoma. But the problem that the Big Ten or any other conference runs into when trying to add an Oklahoma or a Kansas is that if you take one of them you have to take their state partner school as well. For example: if the Big Ten wanted Oklahoma they would also have to take Oklahoma State. I think this has to do with how those state's laws are written or something like that...don't quote me on this though.

Kansas has already said publicly they can move without Kansas State--before we left for the B1G, Kansas was talking with the Big East about a move into their conference.

You're correct about Oklahoma...they're beholden to Oklahoma State because of the makeup of the state legislature, who must approve their move. If Oklahoma can grease enough palms, though, they can leave their ball and chain, dumpster fire of a brother behind.

As for the other two (or more schools) to join with Maryland or Rutgers, knowing how Delaney works, and that we haven't heard a peep about conference alignment from FSU--the same FSU that, just a few months ago, was hell bent on getting out of the ACC...the silence is deafening.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was pretty confident that Oklahoma couldn't move without taking Oklahoma State with them, but I wasn't sure how that same scenario would play out if it was Kansas and Kansas State. I appreciate your help.

Lets be honest... We all want North Dakota and South Dakota to JOIN the B1G

POWER CONFERENCE!

North Dakota can join a partial member for the new B1G hockey league. :ahhhhhhhh

I was just thinking that. Hockey Super Conference.

I'm all for adding the Dakotas. While we're at it lets have Minnesota officially renamed East Dakota to make them feel welcome.

• Fire 1

You don't think this move was made with an eye towards appeasing Notre Dame? Every other year in New York with all your alumni there? Check. Southern(ish) school? Check. Keep your decades old rivialries with Michigan and Purdue intact? Check.

Playing the only school that beat the Four Horsemen twice? Check.

Playing a school that you quit a yearly series with because you kept losing and claimed it was because the citizens of Lincoln practiced anti-Catholicism? Check.

Playing the school that pwned you in your own stadium and made Touchdown Jesus bleed red? Check.

I mean, how could Notre Dame refuse? :)

• Fire 1

POWER CONFERENCE!

North Dakota can join a partial member for the new B1G hockey league. :ahhhhhhhh

I'm all for adding the Dakotas. While we're at it lets have Minnesota officially renamed East Dakota to make them feel welcome.

I think West Michigan sounds good for Wisconsin.

The ball is starting to roll towards the 4 16-team Super Conferences. Selfishly I wish the Big Ten could add a few of our old Big 8 brethren, especially Oklahoma. But the problem that the Big Ten or any other conference runs into when trying to add an Oklahoma or a Kansas is that if you take one of them you have to take their state partner school as well. For example: if the Big Ten wanted Oklahoma they would also have to take Oklahoma State. I think this has to do with how those state's laws are written or something like that...don't quote me on this though.

Kansas has already said publicly they can move without Kansas State--before we left for the B1G, Kansas was talking with the Big East about a move into their conference.

You're correct about Oklahoma...they're beholden to Oklahoma State because of the makeup of the state legislature, who must approve their move. If Oklahoma can grease enough palms, though, they can leave their ball and chain, dumpster fire of a brother behind.

As for the other two (or more schools) to join with Maryland or Rutgers, knowing how Delaney works, and that we haven't heard a peep about conference alignment from FSU--the same FSU that, just a few months ago, was hell bent on getting out of the ACC...the silence is deafening.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was pretty confident that Oklahoma couldn't move without taking Oklahoma State with them, but I wasn't sure how that same scenario would play out if it was Kansas and Kansas State. I appreciate your help.

No problem. I had advocated Kansas for B1G membership if they went to 16 teams before, as long as they were packaged correctly.

At this rate, though, and from what I understand, 18 may be the new 16.

POWER CONFERENCE!

I think West Michigan sounds good for Wisconsin.

Drink bleach. :leghump:

My first reaction was "YUK" but I try to look at the positives.

1. The enormous TV markets (NY-NJ; Balt-DC). Even if they don't follow B10 teams, the B10 gets $3 for every subscriber for cable packages that include the BTN. NJ has 9 million residents. This certainly helps the B10 new TV deal at the expense of the ACC.

2. Do we really want the biggest, baddest CFB conference around with adding only blue chip fb teams like FSU, Texas, Oklahoma? IMO that seriously reduces your chances at a national title. Do you want to be a 10-2 or 9-3 team that plays a tough schedule but never reaches the playoffs or a 12-0 or 11-1 team that plays a decent schedule, makes the playoffs and has a shot at the national title? Delaney and the B10 presidents maybe outsmarting Slive in this respect.