B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

who are the final 2 teams added? Oklahoma? NOPE tied to OSU. Texas? Yeah right. They would demand 95% of the revenue anad tel the rest of the teams to trust them on splitting it up evenly. Kansas? Nope tied to K-state. So all I can see for the final 2 are East somewhere. Would of been great for Oklahoma to enter. Sigh one can only dream. Thoughts, Opinions. Blah blah blah.

Oklahoma and Virginia Tech.

Michigan man. That would be great,but Oklahoma is tied to the hip with Oklahoma St. Same as Kansas and K-State. So it is impossible

Point of order--Kansas is not tethered to Kansas State. As I mentioned earlier, Kansas was already in talks with the Big East and their school Chancellor (or President, I don't recall offhand) came out and said they can move without KSU.

That's why Kansas is a viable expansion target, and Oklahoma isn't, unless you're the PAC-12 and are willing to take Oklahoma's "special" sibling in Stillwater in a four-team deal.

"Nebraska rates better in New York than Rutgers," said one industry source. (per Dennis Dodd)

LOOOL TV Markets

Last I checked, Nebraska is a prominent fixture in the Big 10 and, therefore, will be on the BTN. If you grab even a small percentage of NYC with this, that's still worth the price of admission. Same with tOSU and Michigan.

He'll, if anything, it puts Nebraska in a very good place, media-wise. We, for all intents and purposes, are now an East Coast conference, with all of the access, pitfalls, and benefits that come with it.

Though, I suppose we can't complain about east coast bias anymore...

You are right on the Kansas and K-St not being state legislative like Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. Typing Error on my part. I was referring to Oklahoma-Oklahoma St. I remember that with Kansas and talks and K-St fans saying the SEC wanted them more then Missouri and had to giggle a little at them.

As someone from NY/NJ area, I can tell you that as a whole, NY is a lousy college town. There's too much other stuff going on and no real home team option. There are segments of fans from a lot of schools that capture a small piece of the market. That said, RU is part of that plurality. There are lots of RU alums around the NYC Metro area that are easily attainable from a B1G standpoint. And again, that's a rising program that the B1G is getting in on the ground floor on. I'm more puzzled by MD honestly. The DC market isn't THAT big a catch and MD football hasn't been worth much from the get go...plus their unis are awful ;)

As someone from NY/NJ area, I can tell you that as a whole, NY is a lousy college football town. There's too much other stuff going on and no real home team option. There are segments of fans from a lot of schools that capture a small piece of the market. That said, RU is part of that plurality. There are lots of RU alums around the NYC Metro area that are easily attainable from a B1G standpoint. And again, that's a rising program that the B1G is getting in on the ground floor on. I'm more puzzled by MD honestly. The DC market isn't THAT big a catch and MD football hasn't been worth much from the get go...plus their unis are awful ;)

You are right on the Kansas and K-St not being state legislative like Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. Typing Error on my part. I was referring to Oklahoma-Oklahoma St. I remember that with Kansas and talks and K-St fans saying the SEC wanted them more then Missouri and had to giggle a little at them.

Cool. In reading my comment back, my apologies if came off as a prick with that 'point of order' thing.

Just wanted to make sure people didn't think Kansas was off the table, because they're not--hell, I said long ago they'd a great team for the B1G to go after when going to 16 (or more?) teams.

I'm more puzzled by MD honestly. The DC market isn't THAT big a catch and MD football hasn't been worth much from the get go...plus their unis are awful ;)

A lot of B1G alumni reside in Washington DC/Arlington/Baltimore areas, from what I understand.

And frankly, if Maryland has a rich apparel millionaire willing to bankroll their exit and help them get a fresh start, they, too, could very well be a sleeping giant. A badly dressed sleeping giant, at any rate

Cool. In reading my comment back, my apologies if came off as a prick with that 'point of order' thing.

Just wanted to make sure people didn't think Kansas was off the table, because they're not--hell, I said long ago they'd a great team for the B1G to go after when going to 16 (or more?) teams.

I'm more puzzled by MD honestly. The DC market isn't THAT big a catch and MD football hasn't been worth much from the get go...plus their unis are awful ;)

A lot of B1G alumni reside in Washington DC/Arlington/Baltimore areas, from what I understand.

And frankly, if Maryland has a rich apparel millionaire willing to bankroll their exit and help them get a fresh start, they, too, could very well be a sleeping giant. A badly dressed sleeping giant, at any rate

Indeed, they could be the Oregon of the East Coast

This makes me hate the B1G all the more.

Wha? My double post makes you hate the B1G all the more? :dunno

I'm sorry dude, it was a mistake. Don't hate on the B1G because of my error--there are many fine posters in the B1G, and the vast majority of them, I can assure you, don't doublepost. :)

If a state has a Big Ten school in it the Big Ten Network can charge more for every subscription. No too hard to get a grasp of. Watching the team has less to do with it than you think.

That's not quite accurate. The BTN negotiates for higher fees in B1G states. So far they've been successful, but that's because a large segment of the TV viewers want the BTN. If TV viewers in NYC don't really care, then those cable companies can tell the BTN to go pound sand.