3-4 Peso Defense

ndobney

Looking at a way to stop Offenses with mobile qb's I have developed a new hybrid defense designed specifically to stop spread offenses with mobile QB's, using the players that we currently have I call it the 3-4 Peso defense.

First off I would as my lineman. 3 DT or DT/DE hybrids. NT would be Thad Randle he is a bit undersized for NT but I will explain more of that later on. at DE/DT I would put Steinkuhler , and I would actually put another DT there to force the issue of stopping the run. Stopping the run has been a huge concern for us in these situations cause spread teams have basically been spreading us out and running right at us. You have the option of placing your DT/DE anywhere from on top of the Gaurd to on top of the Tackle or anywhere in between. On the DT/DE I would even run a two gap with these guys to remove the chances of mistakes made by any of the above..

For my linebackers I would place Will Compton and Eric Martin. Martin actually has great size for an inside linebacker. Many of you understand why Compton is at middle linebacker but not so much Martin. Martin is the perfect size and candidate for middle linebacker. He can tackle, blitz, cover, and make big plays. If you still don't believe go look at his size and compare it with Manti Te'o. Martin projects as a linebacker in the NFL he is more of an OLB in a 3-4 but in this offense he is perfect, and he makes up for us having a slightly smaller DT (I told you I would get back to that) 3 DT's and those two Middle linebackers, try running up the gut now!!

For my outside linebackers. I would put Stafford, and Jackson. Yes I said that right. I would put my best two Safety Linebacker hybrids here. Some say Stafford isn't the best choice for safety linebacker hybrid, but he is. Have you seen the hits he is capable of making? These two would have the jobs of double spying on the QB. Using DE's to chase down players like Robinson, and Miller just isn't going to work, and putting Linebackers there isn't going to work either. They are just to fast. You need your fastest and best downhill and open field tacklers against those guys. If the QB's want to run we will make them run all day. OT's would have problems all day with that speed, and I would even run stunts with your OLB and DT/DE to keep them honest. This will do two things i will keep pressure on the QB not giving him a lot of time to throw it, and will force him to make plays in the pocket. This QB's are most dangerous passing when they get outside the pocket. If they do want to travel outside the pocket, their OT's will stand no chance. there will be one or two people in his face all day. If the QB is starting to make a few passes in the pocket, feel free to send Martin, I would expect to see Martin to still get a couple of sacks.

For my secondary I would would play man, generally you have 3 WR's in a spread. I would use Mitchell, Green, and Evans and play them man, they shouldn't have to hold there coverage to long with the type of pressure we will have on the QB, plus we have the ponies to do it. for my free safety PJ Smith. A two saftey covers isn't really necessary against this type of defense anyways, cause a lot of passes made by these passers are outside the pocket. If he wants to throw backside and crossfield all day by all means go for it.

On 4 WR sets I would keep in Martin cause we are just not going to allow them to run on us, and use a DB in place of Compton, and continue with the man scheme. It the want to change their offense and go to two TE, by all means go ahead you would be playing into our hands by doing so.

Anyways this is how I would use my defense against the spread offenses we are facing against. I don't think we are going to give up 600 plus yards or 60 plus points using this defense to say the very least.

I agree a big part of the problem is tackling issues but part of the problem is also the scheme. When all the other team has to do to open up the whole middle of the field is put a RB in motion your scheme needs some tweaking. 600+ yards or 63 points are not just results of bad tackling.

Again, I don't agree. Many routes and coverages were blown. Safeties not protecting the outside in case Miller runs, linebackers not shooting gaps when suppose to, players not doing what they are taught to do. Then your playing catch up. Then missed tackles, causing an extra 10+ yards. It all adds up. 4-3, 3-3-5 and Nickel are great packages, if they are executed the way they are suppose to be.

I agree a big part of the problem is tackling issues but part of the problem is also the scheme. When all the other team has to do to open up the whole middle of the field is put a RB in motion your scheme needs some tweaking. 600+ yards or 63 points are not just results of bad tackling.

Again, I don't agree. Many routes and coverages were blown. Safeties not protecting the outside in case Miller runs, linebackers not shooting gaps when suppose to, players not doing what they are taught to do. Then your playing catch up. Then missed tackles, causing an extra 10+ yards. It all adds up. 4-3, 3-3-5 and Nickel are great packages, if they are executed the way they are suppose to be.

Bo? Is that you?.

If the players can't execute the scheme, do you continually blame the execution or own up to the inadequacy of the scheme? At this point it's like tasking a home builder to construct a skyscraper. Sure, the design/architecture is not the issue with the skyscraper - but I'd almost guarantee you the thing is going to fall over when it's constructed out of 2x4s w/ 4ft concrete piers. There likely isn't anything wrong with Bo's scheme...if he was operating it at Alabama. Unfortunately, he's not there...and so while execution is the issue - the scheme is the root cause for the failed execution.

• Fire 1

Bo? Is that you?.

If the players can't execute the scheme, do you continually blame the execution or own up to the inadequacy of the scheme? At this point it's like tasking a home builder to construct a skyscraper. Sure, the design/architecture is not the issue with the skyscraper - but I'd almost guarantee you the thing is going to fall over when it's constructed out of 2x4s w/ 4ft concrete piers. There likely isn't anything wrong with Bo's scheme...if he was operating it at Alabama. Unfortunately, he's not there...and so while execution is the issue - the scheme is the root cause for the failed execution.

Its simple, execution. I believe there are players who are not on the field that could make a difference. Such as Santos. We should have played these him more before the season to get that experience he needs. The kid is fast, knows what to do, and can tackle. Nothing you can really change on the secondary, besides the lack of acknowledgement from the safeties. They look lost and clueless most of the time, and again, they bite on the pass, when its a QB keeper, and that creates a lane that shouldn't be there. We have a lack of talent on the field. You can throw ANY defensive scheme on the field, if you don't have the players on the field to execute it, you will just be complaining about the same thing the following week.

But here is the thing; Bo’s scheme has a well documented history of struggles against mobile quarterbacks. Is that the scheme or is that execution?

It is possible that there is no black and white here. It could and appears to me to be both scheme and execution problems.

I have also seen his scheme completely shut down mobile QB's. Is that due to scheme or is that due to actually having players execute?

My point is, if you don't have the players that can do their job and tackle, it doesn't matter what defense you run, you will still get exploited. Then there will be another post, upon many others just like it that following week.

But here is the thing; Bo’s scheme has a well documented history of struggles against mobile quarterbacks. Is that the scheme or is that execution?

It is possible that there is no black and white here. It could and appears to me to be both scheme and execution problems.

I think if you give Bo the talent that Bama has on defense (or LSU, Florida, Texas, etc.) he would have an incredible defense that doesn't have these problems. The problem on D is just that: lack of athleticism and play-makers. I think we will see huge improvement in that category in the next couple of years. We've got some stud D-Linemen and LBs that are true freshmen that are either redshirting currently or have played limited snaps and will continue to develop and become integral pieces to the defense. (or at least I'm hoping)

I'm willing to give Bo a little bit of a pass on how his defense has played over the last couple of seasons because I think he has a bright future coming soon, and I hope he proves me right.

I think if you give Bo the talent that Bama has on defense (or LSU, Florida, Texas, etc.) he would have an incredible defense that doesn't have these problems. The problem on D is just that: lack of athleticism and play-makers. I think we will see huge improvement in that category in the next couple of years. We've got some stud D-Linemen and LBs that are true freshmen that are either redshirting currently or have played limited snaps and will continue to develop and become integral pieces to the defense. (or at least I'm hoping)

I'm willing to give Bo a little bit of a pass on how his defense has played over the last couple of seasons because I think he has a bright future coming soon, and I hope he proves me right.

Do you know how many times I have stated this? Vincent Valentine and a healthy Todd Peat Jr are going to be our play makers next year, if they can stay healthy. Then I usually get the "Your crossing your fingers on verbal commits, they mean nothing until they sign the LOI" Lol. With Coach Kaz being part of the family now, our Dline will get better recruits as well.

Then how does Tech have a top ranked defense that just shut down one of the most prolific offenses in CFB. Or how does Bill Snyder with his hodgepodge of defensive players put together a top 20 unit in a conference known for putting up a ton of points? Talent is an issue but plenty of coaches are doing a lot more with a lot less. If we are waiting for Bo to gain the level of talent seen at Bama, LSU, Florida, or Texas then we are going to be waiting for a long time.

And we always have stud D-Lineman/LBers that are freshman. Every year. They are right next to that stud backup QB. And 3 years down the road we're just finally seeing them, and 4 years down the road they can't tackle and we're talking about our next crop of signee's/freshman. It's perpetual. It's not entirely recruiting. It's developing the players you have, and coaching around the talent you possess. You have to compensate for deficiencies (we will always have them at NU), if you don't...you have Nebraska 2012.

• Fire 1

Then how does Tech have a top ranked defense that just shut down one of the most prolific offenses in CFB. Or how does Bill Snyder with his hodgepodge of defensive players put together a top 20 unit in a conference known for putting up a ton of points? Talent is an issue but plenty of coaches are doing a lot more with a lot less. If we are waiting for Bo to gain the level of talent seen at Bama, LSU, Florida, or Texas then we are going to be waiting for a long time.

And we always have stud D-Lineman/LBers that are freshman. Every year. They are right next to that stud backup QB. And 3 years down the road we're just finally seeing them, and 4 years down the road they can't tackle and we're talking about our next crop of signee's/freshman. It's perpetual. It's not entirely recruiting. It's developing the players you have, and coaching around the talent you possess. You have to compensate for deficiencies (we will always have them at NU), if you don't you...have Nebraska 2012.

I definitely hear where you are coming from here. I also believe if we didn't have injuries at the DL, we would have different starters in there. LB crew, we should definitely have younger guys getting some playing time.