3-4 Peso Defense

ndobney

The opposite is here with DT's and a two gap. Some of you have noticed that we have had some problems getting great DT's and are confused why we can't land them even though we had Suh. You would think DT's would be knocking down our doors to come here. In a two gap the DT's go in straight at the lineman and try to fill in the to either side of him so the RB can't get through. That's why at times it looks like they are just standing up with the lineman. They in a way almost become blockers for the LB's to make plays. That is also another reason you have seen so many LB's sign with the Nebraska the last couple of years. DT's won't get the stats or glory so they have tended to pass on us lately. However Bo is obviously moving to a 3-4 which is perfect for the two gap system, and in that case you are now looking for a NT, i.e. Vincent Valentine, and I think Toby Johnson is being recruited for that as well. I have read he is as heavy as 310 and as light as 290. I am thinking he is heavier though and we are grabbing him for a 3-4 NT. Some guys know they fit the mold for a NT, and they know that is what they will play at the next level so a true NT of a high caliber could possibly be easier to get. They are still capable of playing in a 4-3 as well though.

I understand this for run plays but they seem to do this on pass plays too. Is that intentional or are they just really bad at getting off blocks? I would think the thing you would want to do is get free and go after the QB. It's not like we are blitzing a lot and the O lineman would then proceed to block a blitzing LB.

Bo needs to try something. There is no downside. Nu's defense looks like Cosgrove is in charge; 650 yards to a BAD UCLA team, over 60 points to a not that great OSU team. NU must try something! So what if NU trys something different and gives up 60 points to Michigan. Is anyone that confident that NU doesn't give up 60 points with the defense used against OSU?

Bo might as well do some experimenting. It's not like we still have high expectations for the season. We already know what he's doing isn't working and something needs to change. Everyone (ok not LSU or bama) is having difficulty stopping mobile quarterbacks. Oregon could have put up 80 on ASU last night and ASU runs a similar offense as the ducks.

PSU and ND have no issues with stopping mobile qb's either ;) Biggest reason, is they spy, not only do they spy, they spy with an outstanding LB. Manti Te'o and Michael Mauti are complete studs. Probably the best two, or at least top 10 LB's in the country. One LB, who is also a stud that doesn't get enough attention is Iowa's, James Morris. Iowa in general doesn't seam to have a problem really, as they have shut down Dennard for 2 straight years.

Anderson would have been the perfect spy on our team and i do think this would have happen if not been hurt, now I think that Santos should be able to fit this mold?

Bo needs to try something. There is no downside. Nu's defense looks like Cosgrove is in charge; 650 yards to a BAD UCLA team, over 60 points to a not that great OSU team. NU must try something! So what if NU trys something different and gives up 60 points to Michigan. Is anyone that confident that NU doesn't give up 60 points with the defense used against OSU?

Bo might as well do some experimenting. It's not like we still have high expectations for the season. We already know what he's doing isn't working and something needs to change. Everyone (ok not LSU or bama) is having difficulty stopping mobile quarterbacks. Oregon could have put up 80 on ASU last night and ASU runs a similar offense as the ducks.

PSU and ND have no issues with stopping mobile qb's either ;) Biggest reason, is they spy, not only do they spy, they spy with an outstanding LB. Manti Te'o and Michael Mauti are complete studs. Probably the best two, or at least top 10 LB's in the country. One LB, who is also a stud that doesn't get enough attention is Iowa's, James Morris. Iowa in general doesn't seam to have a problem really, as they have shut down Dennard for 2 straight years.

Anderson would have been the perfect spy on our team and i do think this would have happen if not been hurt, now I think that Santos should be able to fit this mold?

David Santos would be perfect for it, but I have never seen Pelini put a LB in as a Spy, unless his ways changed these past couple weeks, I don't see it happening, but I do see Santos being on the field more than we did before. We are against speed this weekend, and unfortunately with Whaley improving, this isn't his strongpoint. Same goes for Fisher.

4skers89

That is actually a really good point. I myself have thought about this many times, and he has been questioned many times by other defensive minds. In a normal two gap system which is again usually ran in a 3-4 a the lineman will stand the offensive lineman up and almost dance with them, meanwhile one or more of the 4 LBs will blitz. since the lineman are occupying the lineman and they don't know where the blitz is coming from it is really easy for a LB to get in the backfield, but in a 4-3 and very heavily in a Bo system where he has a PESO and only two LB's. It doesn't make as much sense unless he is sending a LB, which he doesn't often enough in my opinion. He is using Martin in special roles to get pressure on the QB, and occasionally someone like Compton. You can't do as much blitzing wise with that system and that is a concern especially when we are facing mobile QB's. I am not sure if he is expecting his line to give more pressure or what. I think lineman in a two gap are at a disadvantage to get pressure on the QB, but it is not at all impossible. (Suh) Coach Pelini has said already this week there will be an extra DB on the field this week, so sending some corners and safeties on blitzes could help. If the DB is coming off the edge I am not sure that the 2 gap will affect that much anyways, but I have seen Bo send even CB right up the middle which is a good idea and has been effective when I saw him do it.

Bo really does have a great Defensive mind. He is up there with the best of him and is sometimes on the cutting edge of things being done with Defense and the trends, but he has me on the edge of my seat a lot of times. Other times it seems like he has really good ideas and he wants to do them, but they are unconventional and he backs down away from them. He's a great coach I know he can figure this stuff out but he to often makes me scratch my head and want to scream.

I think the whole philosophy of Bo's 2 gap with 4 down relies heavily on a very good secondary. Contain the qb within the pocket, try to collapse the pocket and try to force the qb to make mistakes throwing the ball. It is a bend dont break strategy. No bones about it. And it worked when we had Suh and then again in '10 when we had an NFL secondary. Now, it's being exposed. I've gone from hoping for a defensive philosophy change to expecting one.

I think the whole philosophy of Bo's 2 gap with 4 down relies heavily on a very good secondary. Contain the qb within the pocket, try to collapse the pocket and try to force the qb to make mistakes throwing the ball. It is a bend dont break strategy. No bones about it. And it worked when we had Suh and then again in '10 when we had an NFL secondary. Now, it's being exposed. I've gone from hoping for a defensive philosophy change to expecting one.

I think you are right with the 2 gap with the 4 man down for sure. A lot of the intent with that system is to try to force a double team on one of your players somewhere on the line. Which is exactly why everyone gets a NT 330 lb vs a center. Suh forced the issue and was able to get into the backfield on a regular basis even when being double teamed. I still don't think the philosophy or scheme is bad they are actually really good. I am a little more concerned about the Formation and the players we have playing them.