3-4 Peso Defense

ndobney

I think the OP has something. A 3-4 with peso or nickel. 3+4+5=12. That'll stop'em. :thumbs

ndobney,

This was meant more as a joke about how bad our defense looks against spreads with mobile quarterbacks, not what you are proposing. I was using Maudfather's definition of a peso to get to 12 and to point out that your scheme name might need some work if interpreted that way. It appears that the upshot of your scheme is that you are trying to get more speed on the field. Makes sense.

I'm not an x's and o'x guy either, but I believe what you said is true. If you jam the receivers at the line, you would be throwing off their timing. This would make the QB's timing off also, which in turn would make him have to look/wait a couple of seconds longer. This would give the Dline more time to get through or just push the oline backwards, collapsing the pocket.

The problem I'm seeing is that even if this happens, other than EMart, our dline just dances with their oline. If they kept pushing, all kinds of good thing could happen. They need to be more consistent at pushing upfield.

I'm not an x's and o'x guy either, but I believe what you said is true. If you jam the receivers at the line, you would be throwing off their timing. This would make the QB's timing off also, which in turn would make him have to look/wait a couple of seconds longer. This would give the Dline more time to get through or just push the oline backwards, collapsing the pocket.

The problem I'm seeing is that even if this happens, other than EMart, our dline just dances with their oline. If they kept pushing, all kinds of good thing could happen. They need to be more consistent at pushing upfield.

precisely... If they have 3 wideouts that we jam at the line, we can use a LB to jam a TE, maybe blitz a safety. Just make them react to what we are doing...

Jamming the receivers is a good method to use, often referred to as the bump and run. It a good technique to use I favor it at times, but there are a few things to remember on a bump and run. Will it give you more time to get to the QB Yes it will but not as much time as you would think, cause you can't actually hold the WR. You are basically just trying to bump him off his route and disrupt the timing with the QB. If the WR gets a good release then often times he can get a step on the CB and that can be trouble as well. The other thing to is would need to have bigger more physical corners guys like Josh Mitchell would definately struggle with this. I really don't like zone packages, hardly at all. If I knew I could get to the QB really really fast, my corners were more physical and weaker at man and I also had pretty good safeties I would be more likely to use this consistently. Bo does you the bump and run at times. He will use it against teams that are trying to though a lot of slant patterns against us and he loves using it in goal line situations. The other thing about bump and run, it cuts down on the int. you make. So there are pros and cons to it. When it comes to coverage I tend to favor man, especially with Nebraska I like to think our CB's can shutdown other WR one on one, and make some plays in the process. PLUS that is how we have been able to get good CB coming to Nebraska consistently, we play MAN. If you are able to lockdown your WR at Nebraska your going pro.

The opposite is here with DT's and a two gap. Some of you have noticed that we have had some problems getting great DT's and are confused why we can't land them even though we had Suh. You would think DT's would be knocking down our doors to come here. In a two gap the DT's go in straight at the lineman and try to fill in the to either side of him so the RB can't get through. That's why at times it looks like they are just standing up with the lineman. They in a way almost become blockers for the LB's to make plays. That is also another reason you have seen so many LB's sign with the Nebraska the last couple of years. DT's won't get the stats or glory so they have tended to pass on us lately. However Bo is obviously moving to a 3-4 which is perfect for the two gap system, and in that case you are now looking for a NT, i.e. Vincent Valentine, and I think Toby Johnson is being recruited for that as well. I have read he is as heavy as 310 and as light as 290. I am thinking he is heavier though and we are grabbing him for a 3-4 NT. Some guys know they fit the mold for a NT, and they know that is what they will play at the next level so a true NT of a high caliber could possibly be easier to get. They are still capable of playing in a 4-3 as well though.

Bo needs to try something. There is no downside. Nu's defense looks like Cosgrove is in charge; 650 yards to a BAD UCLA team, over 60 points to a not that great OSU team. NU must try something! So what if NU trys something different and gives up 60 points to Michigan. Is anyone that confident that NU doesn't give up 60 points with the defense used against OSU?

Bo needs to try something. There is no downside. Nu's defense looks like Cosgrove is in charge; 650 yards to a BAD UCLA team, over 60 points to a not that great OSU team. NU must try something! So what if NU trys something different and gives up 60 points to Michigan. Is anyone that confident that NU doesn't give up 60 points with the defense used against OSU?

I wouldn't say OSU is a "not so great" team. I would say that they are over hyped.

Bo might as well do some experimenting. It's not like we still have high expectations for the season. We already know what he's doing isn't working and something needs to change. Everyone (ok not LSU or bama) is having difficulty stopping mobile quarterbacks. Oregon could have put up 80 on ASU last night and ASU runs a similar offense as the ducks.

Bo might as well do some experimenting. It's not like we still have high expectations for the season. We already know what he's doing isn't working and something needs to change. Everyone (ok not LSU or bama) is having difficulty stopping mobile quarterbacks. Oregon could have put up 80 on ASU last night and ASU runs a similar offense as the ducks.

PSU and ND have no issues with stopping mobile qb's either ;) Biggest reason, is they spy, not only do they spy, they spy with an outstanding LB. Manti Te'o and Michael Mauti are complete studs. Probably the best two, or at least top 10 LB's in the country. One LB, who is also a stud that doesn't get enough attention is Iowa's, James Morris. Iowa in general doesn't seam to have a problem really, as they have shut down Dennard for 2 straight years.