Bo hasn't lost the team

You may be right, I think at this point only the players and coaches know for sure.

But I disagree with your argument. The players had a "players-only" meeting two weeks ago, I think it is entirely possible they pulled together on their own to pull this one off. I do not believe that it's impossible that they did this without the coaches being responsible for it.

That being said.. I'm still scratching my head over this team. There are serious issues, and they stem from somewhere... if it's not from the coaches, where is it coming from?

Love this. We've been screaming for more player leadership for years. Then all of a sudden a players-only meeting means the coaching staff is losing touch with the team. LOL.

Where are we getting this idea that our scheme is any more complicated than any other team?

Not saying it isn't true, but I've never actually heard anything of substance that has supported that notion.

Didn't one of the students say the playbook was harder to learn then their school work?

This is probably a fact. At 99.9% of the programs around the country, unfortunately, or, unless youre pre-med. I know guys that played for an NAIA school that said school work was easier than the mentalities of football, and that was almost 10 years ago.

Where are we getting this idea that our scheme is any more complicated than any other team?

Not saying it isn't true, but I've never actually heard anything of substance that has supported that notion.

Didn't one of the students say the playbook was harder to learn then their school work?

This is probably a fact. At 99.9% of the programs around the country, unfortunately, or, unless youre pre-med. I know guys that played for an NAIA school that said school work was easier than the mentalities of football, and that was almost 10 years ago.

I'm just also going to throw it out there that the last time I checked student athletes only have to get a 14 on the ACT.

I am possibly off the target here, but:

The playbook cannot be THAT different than any other school.

When the fans critiquing the playbook are unable or unwilling to use proper grammar, it is very hard to take their critiques seriously.

Maybe it is just me, but those who are suggesting an educational deficit would do well to look at themselves before offering criticism of that nature.

And I have never been the "Grammar Police". But this one stinks and is hard to accept.

In regards to scheme, I seem to recall that Bo and Co wouldn't "dumb" it down for the guys to make it "easier". This was last year some time. It was the reason for less "athletic" guys to be starting over other players. Unsure if this is fact or perception, but I "hear" more comments (boards and media) about the difficulties than I do comparisons to or the simplicity other schemes.

It seems to be predicated that every player needs to know what every other guy will/should be doing as opposed to simply knowing their position alone. Look at how confused we often look, running around trying to get set prior to the snap. Guys out of position at times. It is either scheme or the players or a combination of both.

Again, I think we have the perfect storm of issues in a new coach, less experienced staff and guys that are making incredibly stupid mistakes at the most inopportune times.

Bo hasn't lost the team. The kids didn't call a players only meeting to say "let's show the coaches". IMO, it was to get their peers to pull their heads from their a$$es and try to get something going for the last 6 games.

I don't have any "inside" information, but i felt going into this game that if we lost, Bo was gone at the end of the year. Not saying i was calling for his job, but that was just kind of the feeling i had. Although it was an ugly win, we COULD still win out.

On a positive note, it is nice to see a talent gap between NW and NU. That may not be saying a lot, but it is pretty clear that we've got talent on the field.

The thing that bugs me is that its easy to "blame" the coaches without offering solutions to the problems. What is Bo and co supposed to do different? nobody but ameer and kenny are going to catch those punts. Do we just let the ball roll? IDK, asking your opinions. The Kyler Reed fumble was just a football play. He made a nice catch, got hit hard, and dropped the ball. The more frustrating thing is that each week it we just find new ways of self destructing.

I would guess the players just press too much and need to relax. Easier said than done. It just happens to be one of those things that the only people that can fix the issues are the players, but Bo is gonna take the heat for it, right or wrong.

I think this team is a mirror image of the coach. Erratic. Mistake prone. Undisciplined. Unwilling to change.

4+ seasons of games sorta prove that fact.

Against mediocre competition, NU has been able to remain competitive and win. But, that formula will continue to be tested against stouter competition.

Here's hoping they play well against Mich. But history informs me not to put much hope in that idea.

I'm just also going to throw it out there that the last time I checked student athletes only have to get a 14 on the ACT.

Wrong! 18!

Bo has not lost this team. It is simply a lost team.

If the guys didn't believe in Bo, they would have folded like a cheap tent last night. Especially after the debacle that was Ohio State. A team no longer buying in would not have been able to keep hope alive being down by 2 scores late in the fourth.

What we have is a team that is fundamentally lost. The missed blocks, the Reed block of his own OL, the blown coverages, inability to haul in the INT's, the fumbles, the horrific attempt at KO or Punt coverage. We are simply playing "lost" on both sides of the ball.

To beat a dead horse, the blame for me is really starting to go both ways. Stupid penalties ie OL in the backfield, fumbles etc.... The staff expecting these guys to be rocket scientists in order to figure out the system. With are self implosion of errors, I am unsure if we make plays even if we were in position. The scheme needs to be simplified. See ball, get ball. See guy, hit guy etc.....Speed needs to see the field.

We have a perfect storm of (IMO) poor coaching (inability to develop guys, complicated schemes, schizophrenic play calling etc) and players simply being stupid ie missed blocks, fumbles, inability to be in the right spot.

I have no idea how to fix the problem. My first thought is to look at the staff, receivers, an issue last year are a HUGE bright spot. IMO, same with the DB's. Look at how Evans has come on. Even SJB is looking good (better QB play beats him some last night against another team), Jackson etc..... Look to how these guys are coaching. What is Ron Brown going to get the best stable of RB's in the B1G and possibly country (when viewed as a whole). We have the talent, IMO. The staff just has to simplify things and find guys who "get it" on the field.

Lastly, we all complain about Special teams, LB's and recruiting. Els is in charge of all 3 yet I rarely hear calls for his head.............

First you need to read your post befor you hit the post button. A lot of this makes no sense. Or maybe it just doesn't make sense because you make no sense.

T_O_B

These are college athletes who have been playing football for a long time. The play book is too hard to understand? Chile pleeze.

T_O_B

Wrong! 18!

My bad either way they have a free education I got a 25 and have to come up with over $11,000 a year lol

All this crap about Bo's scheme being too complex is BS. Bo said as much in the post-game presser.

Think about Nick Saban's defense and how complex it is. And he doesn't exactly have rocket scientists playing on his D.

This story line may be the most over-analyzed subject ever.

Another thing I've noticed mentioned by Bo in the last few pressers is the fumbles and mental mistakes. He's said that they preach and work on those things in practice and it doesn't happen until they get to the game. I don't think it's a coaching issue. Corey Ross was on Big Red Reaction and he said that when you have fumble issues, like Nebraska has, that guys think about it too much and the problem doesn't get fixed.

To be fair, he goes to UNL.

:corndance