I hate it when politicians use the word "folks"

Someone enlighten me, I never figured out what the DO stood for.

Dear Old Nebraska U (There Is No Place Like Nebraska)

Words and Music by Harry Pecha, class of 1924

There is no place like Nebraska,

Dear old Nebraska U.

Where the girls are the fairest,

The boys are the squarest,

Of any old school that I knew.

There is no place like Nebraska,

Where they're all true blue.

We'll all stick together,

In all kinds of weather,

For dear old Nebraska U.

• Fire 1

If they really want to related to us, after the election, the President(whomever it is) and all senators and reps take a paycut to 50,000 a year and live like human beings once. Then we'll see how much they think about what they're doing.

Or even a 50% pay cut would be a good start. I still can't figure out how they get paid so much. It's supposed to be based off of an average salary for the nation I think, yet they make far more than that and far more than the average of Washington DC itself.

If they really want to related to us, after the election, the President(whomever it is) and all senators and reps take a paycut to 50,000 a year and live like human beings once. Then we'll see how much they think about what they're doing.

Or even a 50% pay cut would be a good start. I still can't figure out how they get paid so much. It's supposed to be based off of an average salary for the nation I think, yet they make far more than that and far more than the average of Washington DC itself.

Why they make what they make is very simple. They control their own wages. Which is idiotic.

Bad idea.

Not sure why "folks" don't understand this, but when you pay crap wages, you get crap employees. They work for us ya know...

Bad idea.

Not sure why "folks" don't understand this, but when you pay crap wages, you get crap employees. They work for us ya know...

How about merit pay? Right now they are doing almost nothing at all. Just arguing over everything. I'm convinced that If time wasn't kept by the cell towers they would argue over the time of day.

Bad idea.

This isn't your typical job, it's more akin to the military (in terms of service and duty, not sacrifice) and they have some pretty crap wages. Or how about we go the old "Our Fore Fathers" route, they considered it a duty and an honor to serve the country not a career. If you're in it for the money then you shouldn't be there. But is $80,000 a year a bad salary, with travel expenses and other things covered? Not even mentioning kickbacks from corporations and lobbyists. That's basically a 50% pay cut.

How about merit pay? Right now they are doing almost nothing at all. Just arguing over everything. I'm convinced that If time wasn't kept by the cell towers they would argue over the time of day.

Some would argue, the less they "do" the better off the country is...

If they aren't doing a good job, they are removed at the ballot box.

Now if you want to discuss how we might force them to divest all their investments and only allow them to hold cash (USD) or shares of the ETF, DIA....then I'm game.

This isn't your typical job, it's more akin to the military (in terms of service and duty, not sacrifice) and they have some pretty crap wages. Or how about we go the old "Our Fore Fathers" route, they considered it a duty and an honor to serve the country not a career. If you're in it for the money then you shouldn't be there. But is $80,000 a year a bad salary, with travel expenses and other things covered? Not even mentioning kickbacks from corporations and lobbyists. That's basically a 50% pay cut.

OK, that's a nice fluffy bunny story you got there... but in the real world, people have families they want to provide for. They make career decisions mainly based on compensation.

My point is, there are some incredible people in this country who choose NOT to run for the House/Senate because cost/benefits ratio isn't optimal for them.

Increasing the salary would change that ratio, and lead to better people getting into politics.

Decreasing the salary does the opposite.

----

I would just like to see more people from the private sector get into politics, instead of all these career politicians.