What if Sam Keller doesn't get injured against Texas?

what if (seriously) Callahan when hired retains Bo as defensive coordinator and the defense is stellar enough to carry us to 9-10 win seasons in '04 and '05 until Billy gets his offensive system established. It happens and by everybody's happy and by this point Nebraska is this incredible machine, a juggernaut to the likes that today's Bama and LSU wouldnt even have a chance.

I don't think our defense was a huge huge issue. We had just graduated an elite bunch of secondary players and were awfully thin, especially in that defensive backfield, for a while (remember all the JUCO corners we brought in...) And while Texas Tech did hang 70 on us, we've seen Bo struggle without talent, too (2008 comes to mind, and other instances that are more recent and which I would not like to recall.)

I would pin 2004's struggles as mostly the offense doing a hard stop instead of transitioning. It did I suppose help set up 2005 and 2006, which were pretty successful seasons in the midst of an emergency talent renewal period. 2007 there just isn't any excuse for what happened and the epic collapse. It wasn't even a talent issue, not totally...I'm convinced that the coaching staff simply lost the team. A colossal and unforgivable collapse from the leadership.

^ Something which this staff has yet to do.