The Road Ahead - Final 1/3 of the Season

knapplc

I'm most worried about a let down with Mich St this weekend. They played inspired ball to beat Wiscy at Camp Randall, and even though their record doesn't show much success, they barely lost to tOSU, Mich and Iowa (combined 6 points, I believe). It's always tough for Nebraska to win on the road (at least in the B1G), and MSU has proven they can beat very good teams on their home field. The realist in me wouldn't be surprised to see us lose a close game this weekend.

Having Penn St at home helps us a ton. I would say they are deceptively good this year, even though their rankings and the losses they've had indicate otherwise.

Minnesota - the only thing that could keep us from winning is us shooting ourselves in the foot...or coming in too confident after beating 2 of the conferences best (MSU and PSU) and then having a sloppy loss, alah NWU 2011.

I would like to think Iowa will be fodder for us, but I'm of the belief that these Thanksgiving games will bring out the best in our opponents. Maybe that was just a Colorado thing, but with us being on the road this year, this will be no walk in the park.

Best case scenario, we go undefeated before getting into the championship game.

Most likely scenario, we lose to either MSU or PSU and get into the championship b/c of the tie-breaker over Mich.

The only concerning thing to me is how we're swapping wins for losses last year and a loss for a win last year. Last year, we lost to Wisconsin; Michigan; and Northwestern. This year, we've beat those three. Last year, we beat Ohio State. This year, they took us behind the shed. I'm more than a little concerned about Michigan State and Penn State for this reason.

We're not swapping wins for losses, we've swapped ONE win for one loss. It's not some innate thing that we lose every game we won last year...seems a little superstitious to me.

One? Last year Wisconsin beat us, this year we beat them. Last year Northwestern beat us, this year we beat them. Last year Michigan beat us, this year we beat them. Last year we beat Ohio State, this year they creamed us. Yes, I'm superstitous. Michigan State's defense scares me. A fumble here or an INT there would put us in a pretty tough spot I'm afraid. I don't know what to make of Penn State.

So according to your superstitious theory.. We lose the remaining 4 games?

My superstitions only go so far, but it wouldn't shock me to lose two out of the four. The scariest game to me is Michigan State. We aren't going to be playing at home for this one. This season, we haven't played very good in away games. We played poorly against UCLA. We played poorly against Ohio State. We didn't exactly play all that great against Northwestern. The saving grace here is that our defense seems to be awake now where they weren't against UCLA and Ohio State. I know on paper we should handle Michigan State, but the same can be said about UCLA. It was a great win against Michigan, but I'm nervous about Michigan State. In Big 10 play, they've lost three games by a combined total of just six points. I guess we'll find out if my worries have any merit come Saturday.

Oregon is a little more relevant nationally than K-State has been recently. If you don't think that makes a difference check out where Boise State sits in the rankings right now. Ahead of us. After a loss to 5-4 MSU and a huge 7-6 win over 5-4 BYU?

I disagree 110% on that.

? please elaborate on why you disagree. I'd love to hear this. Did you just start watching football this year? Or because you think the Pac12 sucks? Count up the number of weeks the Ducks have been ranking in the top 10 for the last 5ish years. Then look at K-State's. Let me know what you find.

NEBRASKA was ranked higher than K-State going into the season for god's sake LOL

...oh I know - because K-State played in what was formerly the dominant big 12 north. that makes sense.

Because this has anything to do with this years rankings? Kstate is WAY more know nationally right now than Oregon. They have beaten better opponents this year. #6 Oklahoma (#12), #13 West Virgina (#21), #14 Texas Tech (#18), ALL teams better than most, if not all in the PAC 12.

Oregon... lets see.... This year, they beat a #22 Arizona (NR) and a #23 Washington, and going to face the highest ranked opponent all year... #17 USC. No one else this year they have beat have even touched top 25.

Last year, which is irrelevent, they went 2/3 against ranked opponents. I am not going to even go the year before, because that is even more irrelevent.

This year, Kstate is ranked 13th Nationally on points against, facing higher quality teams, as Oregon has faced basically nobody and at 24th. While Kstate is 5th and Oregon is 1st, I think everyone can agree that Oregon has yet to face anyone with a decent defense, while Kstate has. In 2011 I believe KState was nationally known as well, considering they only lost 2 games during their season, and lost in their bowl game. I would put my money on Kstate over Oregon anyday of the week.

KState is hosed if the top four finish undefeated. The two human polls which make up 2/3 of the BCS points have Oregon firmly planted at #2. However, the real uprising won't be if KState gets left out in the dark. It will be if Notre Dame gets left out in the dark. I have a feeling the situation will work itself out.

Last year, which is irrelevent, they went 2/3 against ranked opponents. I am not going to even go the year before, because that is even more irrelevent.

If you think last year is irrelevant you don't follow the polls. That's like saying the preseason poll is irrelevant when we all know it's far from it. You think Boise is above us because of their performances this year? Hell no, they started higher. Same goes for a number of other teams. It matters, and the fact that K-State hung out ranked below us for the first few weeks (BASED ON LAST YEAR) very well could screw them in the end.

KState is hosed if the top four finish undefeated. The two human polls which make up 2/3 of the BCS points have Oregon firmly planted at #2. However, the real uprising won't be if KState gets left out in the dark. It will be if Notre Dame gets left out in the dark. I have a feeling the situation will work itself out.

My rankings this week would have been. Oregon has proved they can score... against a weak defense.

1. Alabama

2. Kansas State

3. Notre Dame

4. Oregon

I think it is fair to say that in the past decade Nebraska has not done particularly well when they are in the driver's seat for getting to the CCG.

There are 3 division games and the 1 cross-over game left. None are gimmees. None.

* MSU should scare you. This game sits squarely on the NU offense. If they can be effective, then win. If the O struggles, then it is turnovers, field position, and special teams and thus, a coin flip.

* PSU -- home game. Very hard to predict which PSU or NU team shows up.

* Minn -- As long as NU doesn't perform like they often did against Ia St, all should be fine.

* IA -- if IA is 6-5 and NU 9-2, who knows. If IA is 7-4 and NU 8-3 who knows.

If you think last year is irrelevant you don't follow the polls. That's like saying the preseason poll is irrelevant when we all know it's far from it. You think Boise is above us because of their performances this year? Hell no, they started higher. Same goes for a number of other teams. It matters, and the fact that K-State hung out ranked below us for the first few weeks (BASED ON LAST YEAR) very well could screw them in the end.

STARTED, your key word... Did the season just start? No... so then I will say again, I disagree. Your on a public forum, you should probably get use to people disagreeing with you rather than getting your panties in a bunch. For how long you have been here, I figured you would know that.

My rankings this week would have been. Oregon has proved they can score... against a weak defense.

1. Alabama

2. Kansas State

3. Notre Dame

4. Oregon

i'd agree w/ you there - but unfortunately for K-State our opinions aren't going to help them get into the championship game.

STARTED, your key word... Did the season just start? No... so then I will say again, I disagree.

:facepalm: your'e right, when they form the rankings in the early weeks of the season the prior year is in no way taken into consideration.

My reaction to the latest AP and Coaches' polls:

Overrated: Boise State (AP: No. 19, Coaches': No. 14)

This is getting ridiculous. The Broncos lost to 5-4 Michigan State, and their best win arguably came against 5-4 BYU. But hey, you know you've arrived when the pollsters are ranking you based on history.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz2Aib7Y6Bw

Iowa is a gimme. For goodness' sake, they've played an identical schedule to ours at this point (it'll be weaker by the time we play) and these are their national ranks and (conference ranks):

Rushing Offense - 86 ( 10 )

Passing Efficiency - 115 ( 7 )

Total Offense - 102 ( 12 )

Scoring Offense - 105 ( 10 )

Rushing Defense - 61 ( 8 )

Pass Efficiency Defense - 45 ( 9 )

Total Defense - 39 ( 7 )

Scoring Defense - 30 ( 5 )

BTW - on offense, you know which team leads the conference in every one of those categories? I'll give you a hint - they wear red, and they beat Michigan the other night..

1. Alabama

2. Kansas State

3. Notre Dame

4. Oregon

You are very naive if you think Texas tech is really that good and West Virginia for that matter. They have no defense so those wins aren't really significant. Oklahoma is a big win, so that is one big win. Kansas state would score maybe, maybe 7 points on Alabama. Oregon would score 7 in the first 2 drives against them. We aren't in Kansas any more Dorothy.

You are very naive if you think Texas tech is really that good and West Virginia for that matter. They have no defense so those wins aren't really significant. Oklahoma is a big win, so that is one big win. Kansas state would score maybe, maybe 7 points on Alabama. Oregon would score 7 in the first 2 drives against them. We aren't in Kansas any more Dorothy.

i'd love to see someone like Oregon come along and just smoke Alabama. Don't really care who it is actually. LSU can do it this weekend for all I care. Someone needs to drop them a notch. Their recruiting doesn't need any more national championships to help it out. The gap is growing right now IMO.

The only concerning thing to me is how we're swapping wins for losses last year and a loss for a win last year. Last year, we lost to Wisconsin; Michigan; and Northwestern. This year, we've beat those three. Last year, we beat Ohio State. This year, they took us behind the shed. I'm more than a little concerned about Michigan State and Penn State for this reason.

We're not swapping wins for losses, we've swapped ONE win for one loss. It's not some innate thing that we lose every game we won last year...seems a little superstitious to me.

One? Last year Wisconsin beat us, this year we beat them. Last year Northwestern beat us, this year we beat them. Last year Michigan beat us, this year we beat them. Last year we beat Ohio State, this year they creamed us. Yes, I'm superstitous. Michigan State's defense scares me. A fumble here or an INT there would put us in a pretty tough spot I'm afraid. I don't know what to make of Penn State.

This year UCLA beat us and last year we beat...... nah dang. :flush

1. Alabama

2. Kansas State

3. Notre Dame

4. Oregon

Arkansas State- 385 yards/game- 70th Points against

Fresno- 334 yards/game- 40th Points against

Arizona- 483 yards/game- 92 points against

Washington State- 436 yards/game- 77th points against

Washington- 386 yards/game- 68th points against

Arizona State- 322 yards/game- 32nd points against

Colorado- 505 yards a game- 124th points against

Kansas State

Miami FL- 499 yards/game- 98th points against

North Texas- 404 yards/game- 64th points against

Oklahoma- 316 yards/game- 16th points against

Kansas- 418 yards/game- 85th points against

Iowa State- 402 yards/game- 26 points against

West Virginia- 403 yards/game- 118th points against

Texas Tech- 300 yards/game- 57th points against

They have both faced mostly weak defenses, but Iowa State ranks higher on defense scored against than anyone Oregon has faced. Yards/game allowed, the best Oregon has faced has been ASU and Fresno. I don't understand how you make that assumption.