As Sandy Bears Down, Let's Remember Romney's FEMA Plan

LINK

As the East Coast braces for a massive storm, Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are trying to cover up the fact that if elected they intend to cut funding for both FEMA and disaster relief.

Here is something to think about while we watch Hurricane Sandy morph into a perfect storm, what if there was no federal disaster relief? What if states were left to fend for themselves?

These questions may sound absurd right now, but they won’t be if Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are elected next Tuesday. In June 2011, Romney went on the record as opposing federal disaster relief, “Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that’s the right direction. And if you can go even further and send it back to the private sector, that’s even better. [...] We cannot — we cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids. It is simply immoral, in my view, for us to continue to rack up larger and larger debts and pass them on to our kids, knowing full well that we’ll all be dead and gone before it’s paid off. It makes no sense at all.” Romney also wants to privatize the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

However, Romney is the picture of moderation compared to his running mate Paul Ryan. Ryan’s budget calls for every cent in disaster relief to be offset by cuts in discretionary spending.

• Fire 2

So Romney thinks either the private or states can run emergency relief better than the national government. I am shocked. Hard hitting piece right there. Not politicizing a disaster now are we. Time and again the federal government has proven to be slow to react and often waste to many resources on solutions that don't help.

• Fire 1

LINK

As the East Coast braces for a massive storm, Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are trying to cover up the fact that if elected they intend to cut funding for both FEMA and disaster relief.

Here is something to think about while we watch Hurricane Sandy morph into a perfect storm, what if there was no federal disaster relief? What if states were left to fend for themselves?

These questions may sound absurd right now, but they won’t be if Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are elected next Tuesday. In June 2011, Romney went on the record as opposing federal disaster relief, “Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that’s the right direction. And if you can go even further and send it back to the private sector, that’s even better. [...] We cannot — we cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids. It is simply immoral, in my view, for us to continue to rack up larger and larger debts and pass them on to our kids, knowing full well that we’ll all be dead and gone before it’s paid off. It makes no sense at all.” Romney also wants to privatize the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

However, Romney is the picture of moderation compared to his running mate Paul Ryan. Ryan’s budget calls for every cent in disaster relief to be offset by cuts in discretionary spending.

So is it your opinion that the feds in general do a better job than the states in allocating resources and hands-on management ??

It is my opinion that the resources of 50 states are greater than the resources of one state.

Weird how that works, isn't it?

And I've just spent two minutes skewering all the replies to my threads. ta-daaaaaa!

Wow hard hitting stuff you have been putting out, really skewering. I think you mean skewing. The thing about privatization is you can fire companies, you can hire specialty companies who only do oil clean up, or hurricane recovery, or levee repairs. The federal government is slow, wasteful and often disorganized.

You can definitely tell the left is getting worried about the election when threads like this appear. Seems to be a lot of them popping up today.

er, no. The left is not worried.

see: http://fivethirtyeig...gs.nytimes.com/

And yet the federal government can pool the resources of 350 million people, while private organizations can pool the resources of what? A few thousand?

What does "United we stand" mean, anyway?

And the federal government can spend new money into existence, and then use said money for things like disaster relief. Something that states cannot do.

The federal government is slow, wasteful and often disorganized.

Ah yes. The slow, inefficient, horrible at everything they do federal government. Child of Reagan, I assume?

It is my opinion that the resources of 50 states are greater than the resources of one state.

Weird how that works, isn't it?

And I've just spent two minutes skewering all the replies to my threads. ta-daaaaaa!

Ah..............but the availability of resources is a much different animal than the efficient allocation of resources..............especially when those pesky tributaries like political machinations tend to get involved.

You can definitely tell the left is getting worried about the election when threads like this appear. Seems to be a lot of them popping up today.

And yet the federal government can pool the resources of 350 million people, while private organizations can pool the resources of what? A few thousand?

And the federal government can spend new money into existence, and then use said money for things like disaster relief. Something that states cannot do.

Ah yes. The slow, inefficient, horrible at everything they do federal government. Child of Reagan, I assume?

Yes the good old NY TImes.........where their editorial commentary most often masquerades as actual front page news............

And yes the Feds can "spend" new money (actually PRINT) new money into existence...........which automatically lessens the value of yours. Great plan.........

Yes the good old NY TImes.........where their editorial commentary most often masquerades as actual front page news............

And yes the Feds can "spend" new money (actually PRINT) new money into existence...........which automatically lessens the value of yours. Great plan.........

So no comment on the actual content of the page I linked? Cool.

And... no it doesn't. I realize this is the conventional wisdom, and it's intuitive. But it's not true. Inflation is a matter of policy and largely unconnected from money creation.

I would have thought you realized that the content of the link was summarized by my comment? Silver is free to continue his wish list as much as anyone else.

As for inflation, you might want to spend some time reading the history of Germany during the time of some rather large wars. Should be easy to find as it was in all of the papers :)

I think think The Boss said it best:

Where’re the hearts that run over with mercy

Where’s the love that has not forsaken me

Where’s the work that’ll set my hands, my soul free

Where’s the spirit that’ll reign over me

Where’s the promise from sea to shining sea

Where’s the promise from sea to shining sea

Wherever this flag is flown

We take care of our own

was his reasoning not that we should not increase the federal debt? what about state debt? what about states that can not afford disaster relief? let them drown? and how is the private sector supposed to be better? katrina happened a mere 7 years ago, how did the lack of federal aid go for them? all the private sector did was swoop in and privatize their schools, but nothing in the form of relief.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mitt-romney-avoids-fema-questions-14-times-after-hurricane-sandy

Governor Mitt Romney dodged FEMAquestions Tuesday during a storm relief rally in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. After the superstorm, Romney avoided questions about the federal relief agency not once but 14 times. After suggesting the agency's role should be cut or abolished altogether during a debate with John King last year, the Republican candidate is facing stiff controversy.

During a live October 31 broadcast from CNN, Soledad O'Obrien reported on claims by media sources and political pundits that the former Massachusetts governor's position in the past is questionable.

In the wake of Superstorm Sandy, many individuals and businesses are praising the Federal Emergency Management Agency for its efforts in expediting disaster relief to those in need.

President Barack Obama is being hailed by GOP adversaries like Chris Christie for stepping up and responding to state's request for aid. Ahead of Hurricane Sandy's approach, the POTUS gave verbal declarations of disaster. This allowed aid to be expedited to states for emergency funds without the need for red-tape.