As Sandy Bears Down, Let's Remember Romney's FEMA Plan

It is my opinion that the resources of 50 states are greater than the resources of one state.

Weird how that works, isn't it?

And I've just spent two minutes skewering all the replies to my threads. ta-daaaaaa!

Wow hard hitting stuff you have been putting out, really skewering. I think you mean skewing. The thing about privatization is you can fire companies, you can hire specialty companies who only do oil clean up, or hurricane recovery, or levee repairs. The federal government is slow, wasteful and often disorganized.

Privatizing disaster relief makes as much sense as privatizing the police or the fire department. A private company coming to rescue you is either going to demand payment upfront, and let you die if you can't pay, or bill you later for it. So the guy who just lost everything he owns, then gets the insult of a bill. Good plan there.

• Fire 2

I would have thought you realized that the content of the link was summarized by my comment? Silver is free to continue his wish list as much as anyone else.

As for inflation, you might want to spend some time reading the history of Germany during the time of some rather large wars. Should be easy to find as it was in all of the papers :)

lol wish list? Do you even bother reading anything on his site, or do you just see Obama is ahead and assume he's a cheerleader for Obama?

And I've read about Weimar, Zimbabwe, etc. People love bringing them up, but the *only* thing they focus on is the hyperinflation itself and not what caused it. These situations are completely unlike the conditions in the current American economy, and do not apply.

Also: http://rodgermmitche.../2009/09/09/46/ There has been no correlation between inflation and deficits. It is complicated than that.

These are lazy, nonarguments. Don't bother if this is all you're going to offer.

Comish- I can vouch for Malth on the inflation issue. If all you can offer is facts, historically proven data, and common sense, don't waste your time because Malth will say it doesn't apply. He is convinced that the fed can just keep printing as much money as they like without it affecting the economy or inflation. Shrugs shoulders and gives up....

Watching a little Brian Williams tonight by default. But had a special about the storm and what the after effects have been. And sadly it seems to be turning into another Katrina. I truly feel sorry for all the people who lost family members, friends, houses and their belongings.

But who I do not feel sorry for is the people who could leave and did not follow mandatory evacuations and then got hurt, or are without power, during Sandy and especially during Katrina. Sadly, I prepared better than most people who live within a mile of the coast, and I live 30 miles outside of the Chesapeake Bay. I had a evac bag, more water than I could drink in a week, extra gas, a generator, a chainsaw, etc. I do not understand the rational of people not leaving the path of a Hurricane, especially those with small children. They had days to be ready, not minutes like tornadoes or flash floods. How much easier would clean up be if they didn't have to move cars, and find people in houses and bring food, water and clothing to people through 4 feet of water.

Lastly, I think people will now realize that no matter how well prepared and executed the government response is, with a storm of this magnitude things are going to be missed, people are going to die, and the response is never going to be fast enough for everyone.

Comish- I can vouch for Malth on the inflation issue. If all you can offer is facts, historically proven data, and common sense, don't waste your time because Malth will say it doesn't apply. He is convinced that the fed can just keep printing as much money as they like without it affecting the economy or inflation. Shrugs shoulders and gives up....

You can tell me to F off if you want, probably in a PM so no one gets hurt lol. I just felt the need to comment. But anyways he has a point, it's a little more complicated and intricate than the fed simply printing as much money as it wants, inevitably leading to hyperinfaltion and the downfall of America. I wish I would have payed more attention when we covered it in macro econ so I could actually regurgitate it meaningfully, but there are actually positives to small amounts of inflation and printing of money by the fed. Although it is a tricky balancing act.