Two gap

We ran the same D we ran all season. We were more aggressive with it and at times did an assigned gap blitz. But more than anything they are playing it like they are supposed to be playing and the rush ends are becoming more effective because the DB's are covering their guys better. I think the only thing we did differently is assigned one of the LBs to be on DR when he was in there as a spy. I couldn't tell always from the stands but I imagine thats what was done. But the idea was to "stay home" so to speak so DR couldn't scramble. We're just understanding things better.

I noticed this during the game and also last week at Norhtwestern. I was shocked to see it and thought maybe Bo had gotten over his stubbornness about spying QBs. But then I notice a couple times that the LB would keep his eyes in the backfield, but if the RB made a move out of the backfield they went with him. I know that has always been a part of Bo's scheme so I'm really not sure if we truely used a spy or if it was more of a stay at home if they let you thing. Maybe someone smarter than I has some insight.

They are probably playing the zone read like teams used to try to play the traditional options. One guy on the qb. One guy on the rb. i saw as well many time against Michigan a LB go with the RB or motion WR regardless, and numerous times if not all, it was successful. Just assignment football. Only issue is keeping both guys unblocked, which is where the infamous 2 gap comes in. It's the job of the 4 dlineman to somehow gobble up the 5-6 olineman (& TE) to keep them off our backers. Then, even if executed, tackles still have to be made.

They are probably playing the zone read like teams used to try to play the traditional options. One guy on the qb. One guy on the rb.

Notice this the last two games as well, with any kind of option/play fake in the backfield the QB and the RB are both getting tackled.

Then, even if executed, tackles still have to be made.

That has been the biggest improvement, guys are actually making tackles on first contact, ala Sean Fisher showing up big time. Still some errors but they are fewer and less costly. Last Saturday's game was really a very physical game for two teams that can spread the field.

They are probably playing the zone read like teams used to try to play the traditional options. One guy on the qb. One guy on the rb.

Notice this the last two games as well, with any kind of option/play fake in the backfield the QB and the RB are both getting tackled.

Then, even if executed, tackles still have to be made.

That has been the biggest improvement, guys are actually making tackles on first contact, ala Sean Fisher showing up big time. Still some errors but they are fewer and less costly. Last Saturday's game was really a very physical game for two teams that can spread the field.

That was great seeing them tackling the RB after DR pulled the ball on the zone read. Definitely recall seeing that on one play. Someone was also there to tackle DR. I always thought the zone read is easier to defend then the traditional option and should be something that we do very well, given our history.

One thing I have seen our defenders do for years that I wish they would figure out how to correct happened on the DR run when he got hurt. Two defenders were side by side and both overran DR and both were out of position to make the tackle when DR cut back. I think DR basically fell down when he cut back and tackled himself but I'd like one of our defenders to be in a position to make the tackle when the runner cuts back. That might be too much to ask when guys are flying around but it seems like the defender that is further behind should recognize that the front defender took the correct angle and trust that he'll make the tackle. He could then adjust his pursuit angle to stop the cutback and also be in a position to help with the tackle after the runner has been slowed down.

If you play disciplined and slow play it like you should, yes, the zone read should be easier to defend than a traditional option. You just have to fill your gaps and make the qb indecisive in his read, where as on an option, even if you do slow play it, it could get strung out and cut back before pursuit can get there. The issue with the zone read is too many time you see defenders getting to far upfield, esp the ones that are purposely left unblocked.

It was not straight up two gap the whole game as they had been playing previously. The last two games they've started showing some more one gap look. In the two gap the d-linemen are getting the offensive lines shoulders turned trying to force movement to the outsides, letting linebackers fit in the creases that are created. In the one gap we've started to see, the dlinemen are hitting a specific gap and getting more vertical and the linebackers are fitting to a specific gap. The one gap showing would be the biggest reason you're starting to hear some people say "they're finally turning the dline loose" or "the dline is finally getting a push". It's because they've started filling one specific gap and are trying to get vertical as opposed to turning shoulders and letting LBs make plays.

• Fire 1

It was not straight up two gap the whole game as they had been playing previously. The last two games they've started showing some more one gap look. In the two gap the d-linemen are getting the offensive lines shoulders turned trying to force movement to the outsides, letting linebackers fit in the creases that are created. In the one gap we've started to see, the dlinemen are hitting a specific gap and getting more vertical and the linebackers are fitting to a specific gap. The one gap showing would be the biggest reason you're starting to hear some people say "they're finally turning the dline loose" or "the dline is finally getting a push". It's because they've started filling one specific gap and are trying to get vertical as opposed to turning shoulders and letting LBs make plays.

this