East Lansing going to be a sea of red?

Dantonio was quoted in a PC saying he is worried about the SEA OF RED

If we had a sea of red in '95, with tickets obviously more expensive, why wouldn't we have a sea or red this year, with tickets basically going for free? I would go if I was able to get a group to go together, but unfortunately, that isn't going to happen lol.

Because it's not the ticket's that keep people from going to the game. At least those of us that aren't students, and have to travel. I would have paid to see the 95' team. The 2012 team on the other hand...not so much. 2 tickets, rental car, 2 nights hotel = $1400. If i'm going to spend that much to get there...the ticket being $5 or $100 doesn't make a huge difference. And I'm definitely not doing it when I can drive 3 hours a couple weeks later for $40. $249 for the Cornhusker Concierge. $500 for 2 club level tickets. And watch a team just as bad as MSU (Minnesota) at a home game where the experience is much better.

i couldn't agree more, i would jump all over $5 tickets if the location was closer...it isn't necessarily a hot spot for tourists either. Just a place to play a game, but the thing i think that saves us here the first few years, is that everyone wants to go see new stadiums. so i think we will have a decent crowd, but not half like some people are predicting, i think we will bring around 15-20k and then i think their stadium will have another 10k empty.

EDIT: like Nick said, $1400 is WAY overpriced. myself and 3 friends spent 250 a piece to go to chicago, that included gas, 2 nights hotel, transportation, game, and food.

I'm 1050 miles from East Lansing, so no I won't be going. This is one of the reasons I'm not real fond of being in the B1G.

Seriously? I'm sorry, but you'd have to be real myopic to make 'distance' a reason to not be 'fond of being in the B1G'.

And for the record, I'm approx. 1,175 miles away from East Lansing, MI and realize how much better off we are (already) in the B1G. No TV coverage screwjobs, a cable network dedicated to and run by our conference, fair and equal exposure by our conference without any hint of degradation or contempt, the CIC...on and on and on...

I mean, c'mon--being in Texas, we could see Nebraska once or twice a year rather easily. But I'm happy to sacrifice convenience for the Texas fans to upgrade the conference we are in. As bad as some of the B1G may be (read: Iowa), they're nothing compared to the vermin of Austin, the inbred of Stillwater, or the meth-addled rejects of Columbia. :facepalm:

Dammit. At $30 a ticket I would be in, but the wife is forcing me to this prior commitment we made. Something about a wedding or somesuch...

I believe if you're in the state of Nebraska, this is grounds for a divorce and for the Judge to award all marital assets to you. ;)

A lot of the Big 12 away games were within driving distance for me. I'm actually quite a bit closer to Boulder, CO than Lincoln. Manhattan, KS was about 25 miles further than Lincoln. Lawrence, Ks was just over 400 miles. Heck, even Lubbock, TX was less than half the distance to East Lansing. The problem with flying is that I either drive a couple hundred miles to Denver or drive roughly 350 miles to Omaha. If I'm going to go through all of this, I sure as heck want to be going some place where it's going to be warm.

If we had a sea of red in '95, with tickets obviously more expensive, why wouldn't we have a sea or red this year, with tickets basically going for free? I would go if I was able to get a group to go together, but unfortunately, that isn't going to happen lol.

Because it's not the ticket's that keep people from going to the game. At least those of us that aren't students, and have to travel. I would have paid to see the 95' team. The 2012 team on the other hand...not so much. 2 tickets, rental car, 2 nights hotel = $1400. If i'm going to spend that much to get there...the ticket being $5 or $100 doesn't make a huge difference. And I'm definitely not doing it when I can drive 3 hours a couple weeks later for $40. $249 for the Cornhusker Concierge. $500 for 2 club level tickets. And watch a team just as bad as MSU (Minnesota) at a home game where the experience is much better.

i couldn't agree more, i would jump all over $5 tickets if the location was closer...it isn't necessarily a hot spot for tourists either. Just a place to play a game, but the thing i think that saves us here the first few years, is that everyone wants to go see new stadiums. so i think we will have a decent crowd, but not half like some people are predicting, i think we will bring around 15-20k and then i think their stadium will have another 10k empty.

EDIT: like Nick said, $1400 is WAY overpriced. myself and 3 friends spent 250 a piece to go to chicago, that included gas, 2 nights hotel, transportation, game, and food.

I have a wife - $1400 is a fairly realistic 2 day trip for us to anywhere. In Chicago we stayed at the Omni at $300/night. Is what it is.

Why you must debate and argue with every one of my posts, is beyond me.

Wasn't debating. You asked a question "why wouldn't it be a sea of red like 95 since tickets were so cheap?" I answered why I wouldn't be contributing to it. If i lived an hour or two away...I'd likely go. But since the sea of red is general viewed as "travelers" - I'd say less will travel to this one than 95' for a number of reasons.

I have a wife - $1400 is a fairly realistic 2 day trip for us to anywhere. In Chicago we stayed at the Omni at $300/night. Is what it is.

well that's your own fault. Not many people would spend 1400 on a two day trip unless they have the free money. Your expenses on a two day trip, and other husker fans differ, but don't generalize that it would cost that much for everyone, because that is prob >10% of husker fans

well that's your own fault. Not many people would spend 1400 on a two day trip unless they have the free money. Your expenses on a two day trip, and other husker fans differ, but don't generalize that it would cost that much for everyone, because that is prob >10% of husker fans

I'm not complaining - and wasn't generalizing. I think it was pretty clear I was talking about myself - as most people in this thread have been. In reality it's actually far more expensive than that since i'd lose about 8 hours of billable time as well. So tack on another couple thousand. For me, and for many...the difference between a $5 ticket and a $100 ticket is not enough to change their travel plans one way or the other when you consider the overall investment the trip takes. If you're driving from down here...you're looking at close to 2 solid days of travel. If you're flying its $942 from KC. Add in a rental car to get from Detroit. Add in a hotel (even the cheapest) and you are well beyond $1400 even before you start. Ticket price to me just doesn't seem to be something you consider much when planning to travel.

The higher class hotels are going for around $120/night, far from $300/night. For an AVERAGE person, its not that expensive.

Wasn't debating. You asked a question "why wouldn't it be a sea of red like 95 since tickets were so cheap?" I answered why I wouldn't be contributing to it. If i lived an hour or two away...I'd likely go. But since the sea of red is general viewed as "travelers" - I'd say less will travel to this one than 95' for a number of reasons.

I thought the general viewed the sea of red as just fans, from all areas, local and not local. Not all the NU fans at the Northwestern game were from Omaha and the surrounding areas. You obviously don't realize, how many fans probably live within a 4-5hr drive. I am sure a lot of Husker fans live in the Detroit area alone. I am sure there will be a good number of people from Omaha and the surrounding areas that will make it, just so they can visit the stadium. I am guessing it will be at least 33% NU fans there.

The SID at Sparty said on the radio the # 1 fear they have for Saturday's game is...............................Huskers taking over the stadium..............(more than our O, our D, or anything else...)

He was worried about 40,000 red clad noisemakers, which would be awesome but I just don't see it (for a lot of the reasons articulated in this thread....distance, connections, etc)

I was there in '95 and I'm pretty sure we weren't at 40,000 then with THAT team.

btw, don't know if it's been mentioned but I think that was Saban's first season at Sparty. And he got schooled!

Of course it was also the day that turned into the night that LP went nuts in north Lincoln and tainted the stories of that season.........

I'm not complaining - and wasn't generalizing. I think it was pretty clear I was talking about myself - as most people in this thread have been. In reality it's actually far more expensive than that since i'd lose about 8 hours of billable time as well. So tack on another couple thousand. For me, and for many...the difference between a $5 ticket and a $100 ticket is not enough to change their travel plans one way or the other when you consider the overall investment of the trip takes. If you're driving from down here...you're looking at close to 2 solid days of travel. If you're flying its $942 from KC. Add in a rental car to get from Detroit. Add in a hotel (even the cheapest) and you are well beyond $1400 even before you start. Ticket price to me just doesn't seem to be something you consider much when planning to travel.

Your statement sounded like you were generalizing, as I asked why I you wouldn't see a sea of red, like in '95. Didn't know you and your wife were the whole crowd. You two are less than 1% of the 25K+ fans that are expected to show up. Flying from KC, who said you had to fly? 700 miles from KC to East Lansing. Your looking at $400 in gas, there and back, coming from one family. $400 in gas round trip (avg 18mpg), $100 in food, $200 in Hotel stay. $700 for one family, and even cheaper if your going in a group. Still WAY less than your $1400. Saving money on the tickets alone, pays for the hotel stays, or half the gas. Ticket prices make a difference on fan expectancy.

EDIT: From Des Moines to East Lansing, broke down to 4 people, it would cost about $100-$150 for hotel stay, food and gas. Leaving from Omaha, an extra $15/person at most.

(60 person in gas, +$50-70 hotel + whatever you spend on food)

Your statement sounded like you were generalizing, as I asked why I you wouldn't see a sea of red, like in '95. Didn't know you and your wife were the whole crowd. You two are less than 1% of the 25K+ fans that are expected to show up. Flying from KC, who said you had to fly? 700 miles from KC to East Lansing. Your looking at $400 in gas, there and back, coming from one family. $400 in gas round trip (avg 18mpg), $100 in food, $200 in Hotel stay. $700 for one family, and even cheaper if your going in a group. Still WAY less than your $1400.

....and if you were going to commit $700 (bare minimum as you say) and 3 days or your time to the trip....do you think it really makes a bit of difference if the ticket is $5 or $50? That's only 10-15% of your cost. Who cares.

(and I think i've traveled enough to know how much it costs ME). you can travel as you wish...but it's not the reality of the life I have. I was probably far undershooting w/ 1400.

I am slowly coming to the conclusion you are always right in your mind.

Aren't we all? In general, not trying to insinuate myself into this discussion or pick sides, but this is true of everyone, isn't it? I can't say I've ever engaged in a discussion with anyone thinking from the outset that my opinion is wrong or that my point of view is flawed or skewed. I base my stance on the information available, and I feel it's well-thought-out or I wouldn't present it. Isn't that the way EVERYONE approaches a conversation?

Aren't we all? In general, not trying to insinuate myself into this discussion or pick sides, but this is true of everyone, isn't it? I can't say I've ever engaged in a discussion with anyone thinking from the outset that my opinion is wrong or that my point of view is flawed or skewed. I base my stance on the information available, and I feel it's well-thought-out or I wouldn't present it. Isn't that the way EVERYONE approaches a conversation?

Yes, but some also have an open mind to what others think. Like myself, I made a comment thinking Burkhead was the leader of the team, and someone (you), made a comment about Martinez being that guy. Taking a minute, and looking back at things, I realized I was listening more to the media, than looking at the big picture. If more than one person said when they travel, they go the high road, and spending twice the amount than the average person would, then I would believe that. My question was based on a sea of red, meaning majority of the fans that go to the away games, rather than one person. If a response wasn't generalized, rather than how their personal preferences were, then a debate would never have occurred.

Speaking specifically about traveling to East Lansing, I would posit that the Sea of Red has already washed ashore in Evanston, and that's not likely to happen twice. The folks who have a choice to travel are far more likely to go to Chicago than Lansing, MI. Chicago is a much better destination overall, and if you're going to Lansing, like going to Lincoln, you're ONLY going for the game. The diehards and the local folks will be in East Lansing, but I wouldn't expect a huge crowd.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by being wrong.

Yes, but some also have an open mind to what others think. Like myself, I made a comment thinking Burkhead was the leader of the team, and someone (you), made a comment about Martinez being that guy. Taking a time, and looking back at things, I realized I was listening more to the media, than looking at the big picture. If more than one person said when they travel, they go the high road, and spending twice the amount than the average person would, then I would believe that. My question was based on a sea of red, meaning majority of the fans that go to the away games, rather than one person. If a response wasn't generalized, rather than how their personal preferences were, then a debate would never have occurred.

I just wouldn't take too much from disagreements on a message board. I disagree with lots of people here and lots disagree with me. We're all coming at the conversation with a basis for our conclusions, and they're all (well, MOST) logical.

I've been accused of "never being wrong" a lot. But nobody thinks they're wrong on the internet. And those who admit they're wrong are few and far between. It's the nature of message boards.