Un-Official Pre-Game Thread!!

I got to thinking I wanted to post a few thoughts and / or comments about tomorrow's game, but couldn't find a suitable thread, so thought I'd start this one. Kind of like the "Official Game Thread" only prior. Surely I"m not the only one that just wants to talk about the game without restricting it to a certain topic?

Heard this morning you could get three tickets for $9, but they are now up to around $10 each. Even at that, if I were still a young sprout I'd grab two buddies and pull an all night road trip to go see the game. How fun would that be?

There has been a lot of talk about MSU's defense and how good they are, and I don't argue that...they have been good. But I'm thinking even good units have bad days, and tomorrow is going to be one of those bad days for the MSU defense. Some have posted that their D has been talking about revenge for last year and coming out all fired up, yada, yada, yada. My belief is that will be their downfall. They are going to be coming with their "ears pinned back" and we will burn them early going down the field to Mr Bell and Mr Enunwa, etc. At that point, the air will go out of the MSU D, they'll be confused and broken the rest of the game.

Our D will play well with good, basic football along the line and superior play in the defensive backfield. MSU will not score more than 16 points.

On the other side of the ball, we will have a good, solid game with minimum mistakes, both in terms of turnovers and penalties. With the MSU D deflated, we score 20+ points before half time and coast in around 42 points for the day.

Downside of the day is...we still won't have a punt / kick off return for more than 10 yards....and we will still have to burn at least one Time Out that will make us all scratch our heads...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO BIG RED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw a good comparison as it relates to the offenses that they have faced. Their numbers, although good, are some what padded against less than stellar offenses.

We really need to control the TO's and play sound football. I liked what the Huskers said about stopping Bell. He is big, you have to set your shoulders to take his hit in the chest, hold on and wait for your friends.

Don't think they have the speed of some other teams that we have faced. I hope that makes the difference. I imagine our CB's on an island and in their face all day. maybe even the stand up DL like last year. I expect more "simplified" and " "basic" play to allow our D to attack and play down hill.

All I know is that we are the much better team. If both teams play to their potential, Huskers roll rather easily. However, if we turn the ball over, make stupid penalties, and don't execute, it could be a long day. But, I see no scenario where MSU can blow us out. Their offense is just plain anemic. We should have a feast day on both sides of the ball. I anticipate a comfortable victory. That easy feeling concerns me way more than any fear of what MSU might do. The result is strictly in our hands. Play well and win or play poorly and it gets interesting to disgusting.

I see our last five games (starting last week) getting easier as we go. I really wasn't that hopeful last week against Michigan but said before the game that if we could find a way to win that one, we would have every chance to win the last four. Similar situation now - I think this looks to be the toughest game remaining on our schedule. Take care of business and the rest of the schedule is there to be had.

I think it will take some patience to get things going on offense. MSU's defense is stout, but IMO they were better last year, and we hammered them for most of the game on the ground.

Beck needs to keep feeding the RBs, as well as take the occasional shot at a post or fly route, and we will slowly but surely loosen this stingy D up. Then it's big-play bonanza for the 4th quarter.