first trip to Iowa...Where to stay, what to do?

Alley

I'm staying at the Big Ten Inn. On my trip to Northwestern we drove to Iowa City ans stayed there on Wednesday night. Stayed at a Super 8 next to the Big Ten Inn. The Big Ten Inn looked like a toilet. Can't wait. It was $109 a night when I booked a week or so ago. I'm ok with that with 4 people in the room. Two night minimum on game weekends but I'm not sure if there are any rooms left. Don't have tickets yet but I'm sure there will be a price drop soon.

This will be our first trip to Iowa City. I'm not going to pay $350 to spend the night thursday at a iowa city hotel... Was thinking Cedar Rapids or Iowa 80 truck stop? Or is there anyplace close there Huskers tend to stay? What about bars to hit up or a place to eat on Thursday night in Iowa City?

Sleep Inn, Mount Vernon, Iowa

Straight up Highway 1 from IC

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to reserve a couple rooms there now. I still havn't got my tickets yet. I can't believe the prices people are asking on craigslist. $150-$200 on average. Stubhub looks flooded with overpriced tickets as well. Hoping in a week or so people will get real and drop there prices.

Fun Fact: Mount Vernon is where I went to college :)

This will be our first trip to Iowa City. I'm not going to pay $350 to spend the night thursday at a iowa city hotel... Was thinking Cedar Rapids or Iowa 80 truck stop? Or is there anyplace close there Huskers tend to stay? What about bars to hit up or a place to eat on Thursday night in Iowa City?

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to reserve a couple rooms there now. I still havn't got my tickets yet. I can't believe the prices people are asking on craigslist. $150-$200 on average. Stubhub looks flooded with overpriced tickets as well. Hoping in a week or so people will get real and drop there prices.

I don't consider that fun.

My fiance's from the Quad Cities (about 50 minutes east of Iowa City) so we'll be there for Thanksgiving then driving to Iowa City for the game on Friday.

If you're willing to drive a bit past Iowa City, The Quad Cities are right on I-80 and I'm sure hotels will be much cheaper there.

Just wait to buy your tickets. Depending on what happens this weekend and beyond for the Hawks, I know they will get cheaper. Hawk fans are selling, and I have had a few say its not going to be worth standing in the cold, getting the ball ran down our throats. I hope Kinnick has a good amount of red in it.

I would be shocked if ticket's dropped under the $100 range, even if they lose their next couple games. Those fans are smart, and know its only a 4 hr drive from Omaha, we travel and will spend the money. I am waiting on the hopes of finding tickets around that price as well lol.

I don't consider that fun.

Well I had fun :angry:

What is there to do in Iowa. Question for the ages.

Cause Nebraska is just a hub of activity?

The Omaha metro and its near 1 million people called, they say hi...

And outside of that and Lincoln....................what else is there......................right. Just find it funny that Nebraskans talk down to Iowans, granted I am a Husker fan, like there is so much to do in Nebraska. Both states are boring as hell!