How a Sushi Chef cuts apples

knapplc

I have mediocre knife skills. I know how to keep my knives sharp, sharp enough that a crummy set I got as a wedding present over 20 years ago is still sharper than the Cutco Knife guy's knife set when I agreed, as a favor to a friend, to let him come over and practice his demonstration at my place.

But I'm not even remotely in this guy's league. This is come crazy knife skills right here:

I have mediocre knife skills. I know how to keep my knives sharp, sharp enough that a crummy set I got as a wedding present over 20 years ago is still sharper than the Cutco Knife guy's knife set when I agreed, as a favor to a friend, to let him come over and practice his demonstration at my place.

But I'm not even remotely in this guy's league. This is come crazy knife skills right here:

That's cool. :thumbs

Anyone else feel the need to check their fingers after watching this?

I have recurring nightmares about chopping my finger(s) off while cooking. I have a pretty large butcher knife that I do most of my chopping with, and it's razor sharp, and when I really get going quickly with that thing it's a little nerve-wracking. Just takes practice and concentration. The wine helps with the concentration. :D

My family always cringes when I use a knife. I actually am pretty good but in the last year I cut myself pretty bad twice. I stabbed myself once while cleaning a deer last year and then just about chopped the end of my thumb off chopping bell peppers this summer.

My biggest question to anyone is what do you use to keep your knives sharp? I have have never been satisfied with my ability to sharpen my knives.

Oddly enough, the main thing I use to sharpen my knives is the angled stone on the back of my electric can opener. I gave it a shot a while back when I was thinking of having my knives professionally sharpened and it worked great.

I primarily use a steel, but of course this is just for keeping the edge of the blade straight - you're not actually sharpening the blade that way. To sharpen it you need some kind of stone or other abrasive. If you have a can opener, silly as it sounds, I'd try the stone on the back of that first.

Otherwise, actual sharpening stones aren't that expensive. I've been meaning to get one for quite a while, but the can opener keeps putting that purchase off.

And to give you an idea how sharp I'm able to keep my knives with that can opener & steel, a week or two ago I had a guy come to the house to give me a Cutco demonstration. My knives, including my 25-year-old wedding present Chicago Cutlery knives, were as sharp as his factory-edge knives out of the box. He was shocked that I did all his cutting tests with both my Henckels knives and my old crappy knives, including cutting his rope and cutting his gnarly old leather with ease.

My family always cringes when I use a knife. I actually am pretty good but in the last year I cut myself pretty bad twice. I stabbed myself once while cleaning a deer last year and then just about chopped the end of my thumb off chopping bell peppers this summer.

My biggest question to anyone is what do you use to keep your knives sharp? I have have never been satisfied with my ability to sharpen my knives.

I use a stone, Sheels has them for better prices than Bed Bath. I try to sharpen my main knife once a week and use the steel in between, once you get the stone down, it only takes a minute or so. Once a year a butcher friend of mine sharpens my entire set for me. He gets them scary sharp, like cut a lead pipe, but still good enough to cut a tomato, then shave sharp.