Splitting the United States into separate Republics

Mars

I balk at those sentiments. In what era (year range) were we a united nation by your criteria?

Hard to pin point a year - I think there is always some type of cultural, ethnic strife going just due to the nature of men. However, there appears to be more of a push on ethnic identity in the last 30 years. Those who moved to the USA had been expected to melt into the culture, learn and speak English and think of themselves first as Americans. Maybe we had the same issues when the Irish came to the USA in mass back in the last half of the 1800s. Ethnic groups would tend to settle together to begin with due to common bonds and perhaps it takes several generations for ethnic groups to dispurse within the larger American culture. I don't recall growing up in the 60s and 70s this much talk about ethnic identity, etc. Even the term "African-American" wasn't used until the 1980s. I know some politicians like to play on the ethic differences we have in order to exploit one group vs another for their own political ambitions. FDR was the 1st to use 'identity' politics. Clinton and Obama mastered it.