Splitting the United States into separate Republics

Mars

Meh. It's not about "beating" each other. Through conversation, hopefully, we all refine and hone our knowledge. I learn stuff from this forum most every time I come here. Sometimes it's just opinions and how people see things, other times I learn facts and figures. If I helped with that, I've had a good day.

Meh. It's not about "beating" each other. Through conversation, hopefully, we all refine and hone our knowledge. I learn stuff from this forum most every time I come here. Sometimes it's just opinions and how people see things, other times I learn facts and figures. If I helped with that, I've had a good day.

I guess I'm just acknowledging to myself that I didn't think through the argument I was trying to make.

But I most certainly agree with what you are saying. The reason I post on forums is to improve my own logic and rhetoric.

You know, when you're having to suggest governance ideas that come from a fictionalized, alternate-reality United States portrayed in a video game, you're having problems coping with political reality.

To wit, the Thirteen Commonwealths of the United States:

The_13_Commonwealths_of_the_United_States_of_Fallout.png

Courtesy the Fallout series of games on the PC and consoles.

I know this is just fictional and people are playing around with this.

BUT, I have absolutely no desire to to live in arguably a part of the bread basket of the world only to not have a port to export our ag products to our customers without going through other countries or common wealths.

That said, I wouldn't mind being separated by the left and right coast sometimes.

You know, when you're having to suggest governance ideas that come from a fictionalized, alternate-reality United States portrayed in a video game, you're having problems coping with political reality.

Are you referring to me when you say "you're having problems coping with political reality"?

I guess I wasn't the only person that was thinking about secession yesterday.

Here's an article posted on Reason today about secession: Link

Just looking at the past, it's as near to a sure thing as you'll find outside a John Cusack movie that the borders of the United States will not only move a little or a lot in the centuries to come, but they'll eventually cease to exist and the whole country will end up as a chapter in a history textbook published somewhere in the Greater Hawaiian Empire (come for the conquest, stay for the all-you-can-eat luau).

None of those petitions has a chance of succeeding — right now. But things change. The unassailable central government of today might well be the weak figurehead of a generation or two in the future. Whether or not the people living under the laws passed by that government work to extend its lifespan will depend on how badly it pisses them off between now and then.

jesusland-vs-snobberia.gif?h=350&w=400

• Fire 1

Right...having lots of smaller nations will mean less military spending and less Gov....Right....

Every 'nation' would have its own military, and the smaller population ones probably run a mandatory military service. Wars would break out off the bat.

Less gov? Right. Maybe in some areas, others like say Kansas, would have much, much more.

What we have now is as stable as any other region on earth. There are no real reasons for a break up. The whole theory thought up by guys in other countries lacks perspective. The first thing the vast majority of Americans identify themselves as is American. People are not quick to throw aside the top of their identity.

So we shouldn't have separate nations in North America because wars might break out? You realize that Predator drones, a product of the United States of America, are bombing the hell out of women and children in the Middle East right now, right?

What makes our lives more sacred than theirs?

We don't have large numbers of people setting up IED's on every well traveled road?

Seriously, the politics, and sociological differences between the US and the middle east is its own thread, or two even.

Generally speaking, yeah not having wars is a good reason to stick together. We have more in common, and benefit more from being one nation than becoming a Balkanized continent.

Also generalizing, but the people who want to secede are generally little more than religious wackjobs. If they got their dream, they would be living in a third world nation almost the second they become their own little theocracy.

Article in Politico today about Texas: Link

He added: “This is not a reaction to a person but to policy and what we see as a federal government that is so disconnected from its constituents and absolute no regard for what its purpose was.”A petition for Texas secession has garnered more than 72,500 signatures as of Tuesday afternoon — the most of any of the slew of other states petitioning the White House for secession. (Only 25,000 are needed to garner a White House response.)

If all of this can somehow get rid of my student loan debt, I'm in.

If not, this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Just reduce the power of the Federal Government and send the power back to the states like it was meant to be in the first place, and boom! everybody's happy again (for the most part).