Hostess

I went to the grocery store over lunch only to find out they didn't even have any.

I agree they were always over rated. That is partly why I haven't had one in over 20 years. The other part is that they simply were crap health wise.

yeah, i avoid foods like that. bad to have in the house. is there any food more processed or overrefined than twinkies and the like?

twinkies, and quite frankly hostess, are overrated. if anything, we should be happy because there might be less of a strain on our health systems now.

If this is a serious post, you've got a fundamental misunderstanding of how economics work - along with a slant towards fascism over freedom. :hmmph

twinkies, and quite frankly hostess, are overrated. if anything, we should be happy because there might be less of a strain on our health systems now.

If this is a serious post, you've got a fundamental misunderstanding of how economics work - along with a slant towards fascism over freedom. :hmmph

I'm assuming he was being sarcastic. Obviously, nobody is going to be happy that 18,000 people are out of work.

Fascism over freedom? :lol:

How do you get to fascism vs. freedom when we're talking about a dispute between a group of employees and an employer?

I'm assuming he was being sarcastic. Obviously, nobody is going to be happy that 18,000 people are out of work.

There are plenty of people that feel we can "save" the healthcare system by limiting the choices of people.

Based on his previous posts I've seen, I'd say it's likely he believe this serves the "greater good"...regardless of the job losses.

Fascism over freedom? :lol:

How do you get to fascism vs. freedom when we're talking about a dispute between a group of employees and an employer?

I was referring to his comment that 'we should be happy because there might be less of a strain on our health systems now'

This is statement with fascist undertones. Limit freedoms (less access to junk foods) for a nationalistic benefit (less strain of healthcare system).

I'm not commenting on the closing of the Twinkie factory as something that is fascist.

I was referring to his comment that 'we should be happy because there might be less of a strain on our health systems now'

This is statement with fascist undertones. Limit freedoms (less access to junk foods) for a nationalistic benefit (less strain of healthcare system).

Sure . . . if the government were involved. That's where your argument fails. This is a private market decision that arguably improves health. (I wouldn't make that particular argument.)

It's laughable to attempt to reduce this to a fascism vs. freedom(!) argument when the government isn't even involved.

I'm not commenting on the closing of the Twinkie factory as something that is fascist.

But you are. sd'sker was talking about the closing of the Twinkie factory and that is what you replied to.

i was serious about hostess being overrated. i also think people should not eat a lot of junk food, but i do not think my proclivity to want america to be healthier would categorize my politics as fascist.

um, not sure you realize this, but there are still a lot of unhealthy choices available for americans to make. however, not enough people choose hostess (i am unfamiliar with the specifics and the roles of unions in all of this). that is the free market, man. that statement was really a joke about obamacare and the fact that one of the best ways to reduce health costs is to just be healthier and focus on prevention.

and as brb stated, obviously i am not happy about anyone ever losing their job. i think that is one subject brb agree a lot on, we want more people to have jobs and to work, we just disagree about how to get those jobs.