Some dude put up 138 - NCAA Record

Yeah, here's the system explained:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-system-behind-jack-taylor-s-historic-138-point-game-21591709-181125848.html

• The first shot is the best shot, no matter if it's from 5 feet or 25 feet, preferably 25 feet.

• Take as many 3-pointers as possible.

• Defensively, giving up an uncontested layup is better than forcing a shot-clock violation.

• The ball-handler is double-teamed at all times.

The result is a frenetic, full-court attack that leaves the Grinnell players spent after a minute of action, at which point all five are subbed out and five new ones enter, kind of like in hockey.

As I explained in a story for The Morning Call a few years back, Arseneault's philosophy is thus: Pressure defense creates turnovers; turnovers create more offensive possessions and, by extension, more shot opportunities. Offensively, 3-pointers pay more than 2-pointers, so launch as many treys as possible. While you might miss more threes than your opponent makes in twos, the difference will be made up by taking more shots overall.

Very interesting and pragmatically results-focused. I'd love to see an NBA team try it. Why play defense? If you can shoot at a certain %, and I'm sure these NBA teams can, then let the opposing teams try to outscore you. Get a buncha accurate 3-pt shooters and feed them the ball.

http://sports.yahoo....-181125848.html

• The first shot is the best shot, no matter if it's from 5 feet or 25 feet, preferably 25 feet.

• Defensively, giving up an uncontested layup is better than forcing a shot-clock violation.

The result is a frenetic, full-court attack that leaves the Grinnell players spent after a minute of action, at which point all five are subbed out and five new ones enter, kind of like in hockey.

As I explained in a story for The Morning Call a few years back, Arseneault's philosophy is thus: Pressure defense creates turnovers; turnovers create more offensive possessions and, by extension, more shot opportunities. Offensively, 3-pointers pay more than 2-pointers, so launch as many treys as possible. While you might miss more threes than your opponent makes in twos, the difference will be made up by taking more shots overall.

Very interesting and pragmatically results-focused. I'd love to see an NBA team try it. Why play defense? If you can shoot at a certain %, and I'm sure these NBA teams can, then let the opposing teams try to outscore you. Get a buncha accurate 3-pt shooters and feed them the ball.

Won't work. As soon as they play against teams with a pulse, they'd lose. They basically allowed the other team to get free shots so they could just score again.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-system-behind-jack-taylor-s-historic-138-point-game-21591709-181125848.html

No way in hell is giving up an uncontested layup better than forcing a shot clock violation... That's gotta be the stupidest sh#t I've ever heard.

No way in hell is giving up an uncontested layup better than forcing a shot clock violation... That's gotta be the stupidest sh#t I've ever heard.

Read the article and you will understand why he does these things.

N

Read the article and you will understand why he does these things.

Just did. For the average person I am sure this is very exciting to watch. Sounds like sloppy, horribly coached basketball to me.

I remember watching Paul Westheads teams in the 90's at Loyola Marymount. It was crazy watching them play his version of the game. It seemed their only goal was to outscore their opponent. I believe he tried using this in the pros but I don't think his players bought into it as much. I can see where college kids would love it. It may not work as well in high school as you aren't guaranteed to have skilled enough players who could play a trapping defense or be able to consistantly make shots. I'll bet the kid from Grinnell had to ice his arm after the game.