Schools taking issue with NU recruiting

Why people listen to these coaches who have no ties to our program, much less any inside information is beyond me.

You can say I'm biased, but even if I wasn't a Nebraska recruit and a coach came to me and used some 'dirty' tactics to try and push me away from a certain program, I would drop the school using those tactics on the spot. If you cannot sell me on your program by being straight with me, not talking junk about another school, then I do not want to be there. If you're so insecure you feel you have to do that, then look elsewhere. That's JMHO, though.

I agree 100%. I can't stand that stuff.

It was not that long ago that Nebraska ran an option offense that was limited in what it could do with the talent recruited. Recruiters from other schools would whisper in a recruits ear that if they ever went to Nebraska, they would probably never see the NFL because no team in the NFL runs a pure option offense or even half of it.

The fact Nebraska went 17-12 in 2002 and 2003 helped show the weakness of Nebraska's recruiting and that teams now understood how to defend the option. Play-makers were going to successful school with a offense that could offer them more exposure such as Oklahoma, Miami, FSU, Texas, USC, UCLA, LSU and Auburn. Nebraska was left picking up the scraps and leftovers from teams who had already recruited who they wanted and recruits who had waited to long to commit to those top schools.

A new breed of negative recruiting has recently emerged and whispers which were once few and far between are not constant on a daily basis

"Coach Callahan is going to be fired"

"The coaching staff wont be there for all 4 years"

Some kids will take it into consideration and drop a school after a rumour like that, regardless if the rumour has a base to it or not. Negative recruiting tactics are as old as dirt, but when the rumours involve players Nebraska has currently recruited and been commits to the school for a few months, some recruiters are beginning to show their weakness and fear of what NU could do with the right guys.

One recruiter in particular heads the negative recruiting campaign. Oregon LB's coach Don Pellum who has been spreading false rumours surrounding the status of the NU coaching staff. Pellum is currently responsible for recruiting guys NU is in on like Major Culbert, Jonas Mouton, Ricky Thenarse, and JUCO Ashlee Palmer.

Another dirty recruiter in the business is from another Pac-10 school. Arizona offensive coordinator and QB's coach Mike Canales. Mike is responsible for recruiting guys which NU was heavily in on such as Stanley Havili, Sheerace Wright, Naderris Ward, and Deshon Matthews. Mike has taken it upon himself to spread a rumour that if Callahan and staff don't go to the Big12 title game next year, they will be fired.

The recent win over Colorado seems to have intensified the negative recruiting from other schools who believed that NU's performance on the field earlier this season and it's 3 consecutive losses was enough of a negative for them to not join in on the campaign, but now rumours that the win over Colorado has only bought the coaching staff some time but not a lot.

Nebraska coaches have been hitting the road the past few days, visiting commits who have been hearing such rumours. Nebraska has paid a visit to NU commits Seth Jensen, D.J Jones and Ricky Henry. Other guys who have gotten in-home visits include A.J Wallace, Butch Lewis, J.B Walton, Greg Davis, and Corey Young just to name a few.

As the negative comments from recruiters mentioned above and other recruiters continue to intensify from now until signing day, NU coaches will be on the road non stop trying to put out fires set by other coaches. Programs are slowly beginning to understand the impact of NU's recruiting reach and that this staff will stop at nothing until it exhausts all the recruiting cards in its hand before it gives up on a recruit.

Some have wondered why our recruiting has taken a dramatic slowdown compared to last year. You now have the answers.

I think in the end it catches up with the coach or staff that does this. KInd of like telling lies, they get bigger and bigger everytime until there so rediciulous that person loses credibility.

It was not that long ago that Nebraska ran an option offense that was limited in what it could do with the talent recruited. Recruiters from other schools would whisper in a recruits ear that if they ever went to Nebraska, they would probably never see the NFL because no team in the NFL runs a pure option offense or even half of it.

The fact Nebraska went 17-12 in 2002 and 2003 helped show the weakness of Nebraska's recruiting and that teams now understood how to defend the option. Play-makers were going to successful school with a offense that could offer them more exposure such as Oklahoma, Miami, FSU, Texas, USC, UCLA, LSU and Auburn. Nebraska was left picking up the scraps and leftovers from teams who had already recruited who they wanted and recruits who had waited to long to commit to those top schools.

A new breed of negative recruiting has recently emerged and whispers which were once few and far between are not constant on a daily basis

"Coach Callahan is going to be fired"

"The coaching staff wont be there for all 4 years"

Some kids will take it into consideration and drop a school after a rumour like that, regardless if the rumour has a base to it or not. Negative recruiting tactics are as old as dirt, but when the rumours involve players Nebraska has currently recruited and been commits to the school for a few months, some recruiters are beginning to show their weakness and fear of what NU could do with the right guys.

One recruiter in particular heads the negative recruiting campaign. Oregon LB's coach Don Pellum who has been spreading false rumours surrounding the status of the NU coaching staff. Pellum is currently responsible for recruiting guys NU is in on like Major Culbert, Jonas Mouton, Ricky Thenarse, and JUCO Ashlee Palmer.

Another dirty recruiter in the business is from another Pac-10 school. Arizona offensive coordinator and QB's coach Mike Canales. Mike is responsible for recruiting guys which NU was heavily in on such as Stanley Havili, Sheerace Wright, Naderris Ward, and Deshon Matthews. Mike has taken it upon himself to spread a rumour that if Callahan and staff don't go to the Big12 title game next year, they will be fired.

The recent win over Colorado seems to have intensified the negative recruiting from other schools who believed that NU's performance on the field earlier this season and it's 3 consecutive losses was enough of a negative for them to not join in on the campaign, but now rumours that the win over Colorado has only bought the coaching staff some time but not a lot.

Nebraska coaches have been hitting the road the past few days, visiting commits who have been hearing such rumours. Nebraska has paid a visit to NU commits Seth Jensen, D.J Jones and Ricky Henry. Other guys who have gotten in-home visits include A.J Wallace, Butch Lewis, J.B Walton, Greg Davis, and Corey Young just to name a few.

As the negative comments from recruiters mentioned above and other recruiters continue to intensify from now until signing day, NU coaches will be on the road non stop trying to put out fires set by other coaches. Programs are slowly beginning to understand the impact of NU's recruiting reach and that this staff will stop at nothing until it exhausts all the recruiting cards in its hand before it gives up on a recruit.

Some have wondered why our recruiting has taken a dramatic slowdown compared to last year. You now have the answers.

Didn't NU go 17 - 10, not 17 - 12. In 2002 they were 7 - 7 and in 2003 they were 10 - 3.

You know the NCAA has a lot of strict recruiting rules, and some of them are goofy. But here is a case where they should step in and try to stop this. All schools, including NU, should be held accountable for spreading dirt. Yes, we have to consider the possibility that a NU coach or two has said something negative sometime or another. Certainly that may not be true, and I hope it isn't, but you can't rule it out 100 percent. If industries like insurance don't allow agents spreading dirt about other insurance agents, why not prohibit this practice in college football recruiting.

It includes the 2 losses in 2001 to finish the season. You do know that right?

Now we can just add losses from different years than what were stated. Yes they lost once in 2002 from the 2001 season (NC game). The other loss (CU) was still in 2001. But you can't say they were 17-12 over 2002 and 2003. That would be another untrue fact. If you are using the calendar year then the record would be 17-11. If you are using the season they would 17-10. You can't just grab stats from some odd year and throw them into the years you are using to make it look better.

If you wanted to include 2001 you could say that the Huskers had a record of 28-12 over 2001, 2002 and 2003.

Now we can just add losses from different years than what were stated. Yes they lost once in 2002 from the 2001 season (NC game). The other loss (CU) was still in 2001. But you can't say they were 17-12 over 2002 and 2003. That would be another untrue fact. If you are using the calendar year then the record would be 17-11. If you are using the season they would 17-10. You can't just grab stats from some odd year and throw them into the years you are using to make it look better.

If you wanted to include 2001 you could say that the Huskers had a record of 28-12 over 2001, 2002 and 2003.

Here how about this since you want to complain about a formality

NU went 17-12 from 11/23/2001-12/29/2003. How about this one. NU went 15-12 from 11/23/2001-11/15/2003

Here how about this since you want to complain about a formality

NU went 17-12 from 11/23/2001-12/29/2003. How about this one. NU went 15-12 from 11/23/2001-11/15/2003

At least we have accurate facts now.

You know the NCAA has a lot of strict recruiting rules, and some of them are goofy. But here is a case where they should step in and try to stop this. All schools, including NU, should be held accountable for spreading dirt. Yes, we have to consider the possibility that a NU coach or two has said something negative sometime or another. Certainly that may not be true, and I hope it isn't, but you can't rule it out 100 percent. If industries like insurance don't allow agents spreading dirt about other insurance agents, why not prohibit this practice in college football recruiting.

What can you do? This is something that has gone on for years and won't stop anytime soon. It is crap that teams have to resort to this kind of tactic to get a 17 year old kid to play football at their school. It does not say much about the character of the school or the staff at all.

After being recruited myself, it was the worst time of my life. Coaches are like little kids making a wish list for Christmas and will do ANYTHING to get what they want. The kids just have to be able to see through all of the BS and choose. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I find it being a huge compliment that other coaches are getting scared of NU coming back and taking their top recruits.....GO BILLY C!!!!!!!!!!!!

:restore2

And Mich ST

I don't believe anyone from Arizona has any room to spread rumors. They've gone 3-8 the last two years with Mike Stoops at the helm. If I was the staff at Zona, I would be more worried about my job than some other coaching staffs.

I wonder if any opposing staffs bring this up to players Zona is recruiting?

A third straight 3-8 season next year will do wonders for Arizona and Mike Stoops. :lol:

I know Oregon, went 10-1 this year, but last year they were 5-6, and the two prior years to that they lost 5 and 6 games. Losing bowl games to Wake Forest and Minnesota. So they really don't have much room to talk about other staffs. IMO.