Schools taking issue with NU recruiting

It was not that long ago that Nebraska ran an option offense that was limited in what it could do with the talent recruited. Recruiters from other schools would whisper in a recruits ear that if they ever went to Nebraska, they would probably never see the NFL because no team in the NFL runs a pure option offense or even half of it.

The fact Nebraska went 17-12 in 2002 and 2003 helped show the weakness of Nebraska's recruiting and that teams now understood how to defend the option. Play-makers were going to successful school with a offense that could offer them more exposure such as Oklahoma, Miami, FSU, Texas, USC, UCLA, LSU and Auburn. Nebraska was left picking up the scraps and leftovers from teams who had already recruited who they wanted and recruits who had waited to long to commit to those top schools.

A new breed of negative recruiting has recently emerged and whispers which were once few and far between are not constant on a daily basis

"Coach Callahan is going to be fired"

"The coaching staff wont be there for all 4 years"

Some kids will take it into consideration and drop a school after a rumour like that, regardless if the rumour has a base to it or not. Negative recruiting tactics are as old as dirt, but when the rumours involve players Nebraska has currently recruited and been commits to the school for a few months, some recruiters are beginning to show their weakness and fear of what NU could do with the right guys.

One recruiter in particular heads the negative recruiting campaign. Oregon LB's coach Don Pellum who has been spreading false rumours surrounding the status of the NU coaching staff. Pellum is currently responsible for recruiting guys NU is in on like Major Culbert, Jonas Mouton, Ricky Thenarse, and JUCO Ashlee Palmer.

Another dirty recruiter in the business is from another Pac-10 school. Arizona offensive coordinator and QB's coach Mike Canales. Mike is responsible for recruiting guys which NU was heavily in on such as Stanley Havili, Sheerace Wright, Naderris Ward, and Deshon Matthews. Mike has taken it upon himself to spread a rumour that if Callahan and staff don't go to the Big12 title game next year, they will be fired.

The recent win over Colorado seems to have intensified the negative recruiting from other schools who believed that NU's performance on the field earlier this season and it's 3 consecutive losses was enough of a negative for them to not join in on the campaign, but now rumours that the win over Colorado has only bought the coaching staff some time but not a lot.

Nebraska coaches have been hitting the road the past few days, visiting commits who have been hearing such rumours. Nebraska has paid a visit to NU commits Seth Jensen, D.J Jones and Ricky Henry. Other guys who have gotten in-home visits include A.J Wallace, Butch Lewis, J.B Walton, Greg Davis, and Corey Young just to name a few.

As the negative comments from recruiters mentioned above and other recruiters continue to intensify from now until signing day, NU coaches will be on the road non stop trying to put out fires set by other coaches. Programs are slowly beginning to understand the impact of NU's recruiting reach and that this staff will stop at nothing until it exhausts all the recruiting cards in its hand before it gives up on a recruit.

Some have wondered why our recruiting has taken a dramatic slowdown compared to last year. You now have the answers.

Why people listen to these coaches who have no ties to our program, much less any inside information is beyond me.

You can say I'm biased, but even if I wasn't a Nebraska recruit and a coach came to me and used some 'dirty' tactics to try and push me away from a certain program, I would drop the school using those tactics on the spot. If you cannot sell me on your program by being straight with me, not talking junk about another school, then I do not want to be there. If you're so insecure you feel you have to do that, then look elsewhere. That's JMHO, though.

I would hope most programs try to ensure honest recruiting. Sour grapes may sound good to a young and possibly gullible 17 y.o. They may believe they are getting the dirt on a program from outside sources. Lets hope not. NU should concentrate on recruits that can tell fact from fiction. That makes them easier to coach when they show the ability to use their heads for more than a hatrack.

Are there any guidlines or rules against this kind of dirty recruiting or are ethics simply thrown out the window? You would think if the recruits found out the truth, that the lies would actually hurt the school that told them.

Unless I'm mistaken, there are no NCAA rules (anyone that can confirm or correct?). Each conference sets rules for what is permissible. The SEC, for example, is supposed to bar negative recruiting, and there have been a couple of instances of one team reporting the negative recruiting of another. Can't recal it ever coming of anything, though - too difficult to prove.

Why people listen to these coaches who have no ties to our program, much less any inside information is beyond me.

You can say I'm biased, but even if I wasn't a Nebraska recruit and a coach came to me and used some 'dirty' tactics to try and push me away from a certain program, I would drop the school using those tactics on the spot. If you cannot sell me on your program by being straight with me, not talking junk about another school, then I do not want to be there. If you're so insecure you feel you have to do that, then look elsewhere. That's JMHO, though.

:yeah

Question: is this something that is commonplace in college recruiting??

I'd recommend changing the title of this thread - it's a bit confusing. I thought schools were upset with the way NU was recruiting.

As for the actual story - it doesn't surprise me one bit. In fact, I see it as a good thing. Other schools having to resort to this kind of chicanery - they know that NU is BACK, and that they can't compete with the history and passion that is Husker football.

Let 'em lie and cheat. Our recruiters are good enough to throw it right back in their faces and show these kids how a quality program carries itself.

:restore2

Just the fact that other school's are motherf'ng NEBRASKA proves that BC is on the right path - THE WCO is going to work, as soon as he get's the player's - The cu game is probally a peek at the future - So SUPPORT THIS TEAM AND STAFF!!!!!! - And if you don't like my post - Here's my address:

chadramirez1971@aol.com :horns2

Edited by newearthhusker

I'd recommend changing the title of this thread - it's a bit confusing.  I thought schools were upset with the way NU was recruiting.

As for the actual story - it doesn't surprise me one bit.  In fact, I see it as a good thing.  Other schools having to resort to this kind of chicanery - they know that NU is BACK, and that they can't compete with the history and passion that is Husker football.

Let 'em lie and cheat.  Our recruiters are good enough to throw it right back in their faces and show these kids how a quality program carries itself.

:restore2

Schools are upset with the way NU is recruiting. NU is a cold weather school with every once in a while First or Second NFL draft picks, and ran an offense that was becoming less and less used as a full time offense. NU was a school that use to get maybe 3 (4 tops) prospects who were highly regarded as top prospects but they aren't that school anymore. Now that NU is challaning these teams for every top prospect in the nation, teams are becoming paranoid and worried Big Brother is back in the market and is willing to go all out to get a prospect.

Just the fact that other school's are motherf'ng  NEBRASKA proves that BC is on the right path - THE WCO is going to work, as soon as he get's the player's - The cu game is probally a peek at the future - So SUPPORT THIS TEAM AND STAFF!!!!!! - And if you don't like my post - Here's my address:

Dude, :wtf

Not trying to get off topic, but feel free to mellow out, or are you looking for trouble, or something??? :blink:

Edited by newearthhusker
Just the fact that other school's are motherf'ng  NEBRASKA proves that BC is on the right path - THE WCO is going to work, as soon as he get's the player's - The cu game is probally a peek at the future - So SUPPORT THIS TEAM AND STAFF!!!!!! - And if you don't like my post - Here's my address:

Dude, :wtf

Not trying to get off topic, but feel free to mellow out, or are you looking for trouble, or something??? :blink:

I agree man...No one is gonna come to your front door if they don't like your post. Relax! :restore2

Edited by newearthhusker

OMFG! YOU IS SO HARDCORE!!!!1!!1!

Edited by newearthhusker