Old Big 12 Emotional Ties

As a long, long time Husker fan, I'm finding I still have a lot of emotional ties to some of the old Big 8 / Big 12 teams. (Sorry if this thread should be somewhere else).

Watching Sooners vs. Okie Light....better for us in the ratings if OU loses...but dang it's hard to cheer for Okie Light. Hated losing to OU, but never hated them and found myself cheering for them the weeks they didn't play us. I always cheered for Iowa State except that one weekend per year too.

Glad we made the jump to the B1G...but think I'll miss those old schools for quite a while...

I agree, I miss playing OU. I also miss being in the Big12. I didn't care for the move. But what is done is done. The only thing I don't miss is the way Texas used to screw over everybody in the conference for money. I wish we still could be in Big 12. But I am ok with the BIG10 I just wish we could pull away from the other schools like we did in the old Big 8 days.

• Fire 2

Yah, the ties to the big 8 teams run deep and strong for most of us I think... Watching these great rivalry games today, I found myself pining for that NU vs. OU Thanksgiving day game. I was feeling bummed about the move to the B1G until I remembered that the Big 12 had already sunk that tradition for us...

I find myself rooting for most of the Big 8 teams whenever they're not playing NU (which is almost all the time now). I really wanted Bill Snyder to win the big one somehow this year. Oh well, there's always next time around.

I still love to hate the Texass teams that joined up with the Big 12. Punks and classless suckers every one, except perhaps A&M, who also had the smarts to jump ship!

i am glad we are in the Big 10 for a lot of reasons...but i used to sit in my deer stand or duck boat and have the game on the radio every weekend...now i have to follow the game on my cell phone as the KC stations dont carry husker football now. i definitely miss the regionality, the old days of playing all over the real midwest, talking with the people at work each week about the upcomihn game......for most of my life , thanksgiving always meant Colorado, and before that OU. .now ...bring on rutgers and the terps! i do like the iowa thing tho....

still think we are in a better place long term, but after 45 years of big 8/12, its hard to get used to the new conference and no big traditional rivalries with years of history-- playing out here in the plains. we will have the rivalries again, but much later in my lifetime...they take decades to grow, i dont have decades...

Yah, the ties to the big 8 teams run deep and strong for most of us I think... Watching these great rivalry games today, I found myself pining for that NU vs. OU Thanksgiving day game. I was feeling bummed about the move to the B1G until I remembered that the Big 12 had already sunk that tradition for us...

I find myself rooting for most of the Big 8 teams whenever they're not playing NU (which is almost all the time now). I really wanted Bill Snyder to win the big one somehow this year. Oh well, there's always next time around.

I still love to hate the Texass teams that joined up with the Big 12. Punks and classless suckers every one, except perhaps A&M, who also had the smarts to jump ship!

Watching the A&M v Mizzou game right now. We really got screwed in that last A&M game, but I don't think a lot of that was on A&M. I've got a lot of ties to the military, and I have a huge respect for Aggie Nation. They do American pride right. (Let me know if you're interested, I'll email you an off-the-field story about Aggie Nation.) Would love to see A&M crash the SEC party in a huge way for years to come.

Yah, I lived in Houston for about 1/4 of my life, and so did have lots of interactions with A&M folks. I definitely did respect A&M's football traditions. And they're perhaps the only fanbase out there that hates the Longhorns as much as we do! And it goes without saying that the military connection is admirable.

I do love that they took Alabama down this year. Now if we can just beat Wiscy for the B1G, the pieces of the Big 12 will be wreaking proper havoc on the traditional powerhouse conferences!

Yah, I lived in Houston for about 1/4 of my life, and so did have lots of interactions with A&M folks. I definitely did respect A&M's football traditions. And they're perhaps the only fanbase out there that hates the Longhorns as much as we do! And it goes without saying that the military connection is admirable.

I do love that they took Alabama down this year. Now if we can just beat Wiscy for the B1G, the pieces of the Big 12 will be wreaking proper havoc on the traditional powerhouse conferences!

**cough cough ** Colorado ** cough**

**cough cough ** Colorado ** cough**

LOL>..that is sure enough funny...

emotional ties? most of those ties are to teams we beat almost every year. every year the north division was ours to lose. OU didn't care as much as we did for the rivalry since they so easily tossed it away. I think it's like how we never treated Colorado as a true rival. No point in having ties where they all sided with Texas and not with us. I grew up watching Big 8 football too and i've moved on. In fact i look more forward to these games since we joined the Big Ten because we aren't being ostracized for speaking our minds.