Thunder and Lightning

Welcome storm in NU backfield

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 - 12:17:16 am CST

They refer to themselves as “Lightning and Thunder,” a youthful show of confidence. At times this season, Lightning and Thunder — freshman I-backs Marlon Lucky and Cody Glenn, respectively — made little noise and scared nobody. At other times, however — against Colorado for instance — Nebraska football fans could see a storm brewing in the backfield, the kind of storm fans welcome the way that farmers welcome rain during a drought.

Husker Nation probably always will relish a strong rushing attack, and Lucky and Glenn have shown they may be able to provide punch for years to come.

Although Nebraska (7-4) has a bowl game remaining, Lucky admits he thinks ahead at times to 2006, when he and Glenn will join sophomore Brandon Jackson as the team’s top returning I-backs.

“I don’t think about next season all that much, but I do sometimes,” Lucky said. “I can’t wait.”

Said Glenn: “It’s kind of a 1-2 punch with me and Marlon, and there’s Brandon, too. But right now we need to focus on a bowl game, and next semester we can focus on next season.”

In last week’s 30-3 win at Colorado, the 6-foot, 210-pound Lucky showed flashes of why he was one of the nation’s most coveted running back recruits in 2005. Running against the nation’s top-ranked run defense, Lucky produced 24 yards on four attempts in the first quarter, helping ensure Nebraska wouldn’t be one-dimensional on this day. He finished with 33 yards on 10 attempts.

The 6-foot, 225-pound Glenn carried eight times for 18 yards and a touchdown against the Buffaloes. Glenn has made his mark this season as a short-yardage back, rushing 45 times for 131 yards and four touchdowns.

Lucky, who has 42 carries for 126 yards, raises eyebrows with his speed and explosiveness. His 100-yard kickoff return Nov. 5 against Kansas — called back because of a penalty — left an indelible mark in the minds of many Husker fans. He made a powerful burst into a sizable hole, and nobody came close to running him down.

“Man, it shot up after the Kansas game,” Lucky said of his confidence. “I sat down and thought, ‘Man, I’m better than this. I need to run harder and focus more and take my time with it.’

“Coach (Bill Callahan) told me he was going to give me some carries. I took them and did what I could with them.”

After rushing twice for 7 yards Nov. 12 against Kansas State, Lucky was surprised to be used early in the Colorado game in crucial situations.

“They kept me in because I was in a rhythm,” Lucky said. “Coach Callahan told me he was going to give me some plays to get me warmed up. He did.”

That’s what Lucky wanted all along — a chance to find his rhythm.

“I’m not a one-play dude,” he said.

Lucky said he has improved his ability to block in the backfield and better identify holes through which to run.

“I blocked somebody (against Colorado),” Lucky said proudly. “I blocked a linebacker.”

Although Glenn has been used primarily in short-yardage situations, he sees himself more as an all-round running back, someone who can carry the load if necessary.

Lucky and Glenn, for the most part, were brought along slowly this season. Next year, though, they’ll be counted on heavily. They’re ready, they say. They see the potential to become Nebraska’s version of Southern Cal’s duo of Reggie Bush and LenDale White. At least that’s the level to which Lightning and Thunder aspire.

“Working with Coach K and keeping our heads on straight, I think we can get pretty close to where they’re at,” said Glenn, referring to Nebraska strength coach Dave Kennedy.

Both Glenn and Lucky were thrown into the fire immediately in preseason drills. Lucky chuckles at the recollection. The coaches wanted to see what he had to offer, Lucky said.

“I handled it good,” he said. “I got banged up, like, so many times. I was injured and played through it.”

Both running backs steadily have become comfortable with the playbook.

Early in the season, however, “I didn’t know what side to line up on,” Glenn said.

“We pretty much know the offense now,” he added. “It’s just a matter of getting more reps and getting in rhythm.”

Nebraska’s bowl practices will be crucial in the development of its young players. That’s partly why the Huskers were intent on becoming bowl-eligible after missing out last season.

Neither Lucky nor Glenn are choosy about where Nebraska will end up later this month.

“It’s a bowl, man,” Lucky said. “You have to be happy about it.”

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

In the offense that we run, Glenn could line up at fullback one play, tailback the next, tight end after that, and than split out at wide out the next play. Dane Todd doesnt play half the game because of his inability to do just that. You might see Glenn slotted in the second spot on the depth chart at i back next year, but he might actually start every game at one of the aformentioned positions. That is what makes this offense so tough to gameplan against when it is executed properly. There is no way to create consistantly favorable match ups for the defense.

does any one remember the offense that hawaii ran years ago, 2 slots, 2 wide outs and 1 back. would be nice to get all 3 of them in the game at the same time.

i know hawaii was not that good with that offense but it was fun to watch when they were on.

i was in hawaii when ND came over and played, and ND was leading big at halftime, but the rainbow warriors used that offense and made it a 4 qtr game and had they not fumbled with 1 min remaining hawaii would have won the game.

anyway i would like to see them all get in the game.

Both running backs steadily have become comfortable with the playbook.

Early in the season, however, “I didn’t know what side to line up on,” Glenn said.

“We pretty much know the offense now,” he added. “It’s just a matter of getting more reps and getting in rhythm.”

They say what a lot of us have been saying all year. See, straight from the horse's mouth!

This thing (Big Red Football) is going to be a machine next year! :restore2

sound like they want to be superheroes or something...

hmmm...

>>>fast foward to the USC game...

MARLON:

gee, cody... coach callahan looks worried..!

CODY:

gosh, marlon, you're right! this is a big game and the huskers could really make a statement by shutting those trojans down!

MARLON:

and by golly, we will! but we're gonna have to give it our all!

CODY:

you said it, old chum! let's do it!

>>>cody and marlon smash their first together and are bathed in light!

MARLON and CODY:

WONDER TWIN POWERS ACTIVATE!!!

CODY:

form of... THUNDER!!!

MARLON:

form of... LIGHTNING!!!

>>>both put on capes and run out onto the field..!

i was more impressed with glenn and jackson, seemed like lucky just ran really fast into a pile sometimes. may have something to do with his comment about not reading the holes correctly. IMO glenn and jackson will both be solid next year, and lucky could be if his vision improves, looks like hes got plenty of speed and power, just needs to get where he can use it.

Maybe the most impotant part of this article is the fact that they seem very excited for next year. Being highly touted freshmen, that saw very limited action, they could have been "resentful" and unhappy, but it seems as if they knew their limitations.

Another thing is that they realize that they have to work hard in the off-season.

I can't wait.... and with Brandon Jackson HEALTHY, watch out..... 2 good I-backs with a versatile fullback..... (maybe he will earn an "H-back" label)

Cody Glenn is not a fullback. He is a running back that will run your ass over. He is fast and has lots and lots of power.

I think he'll be the starter at the I-back position next year...

And anyone who doesnt think he has enough quickness or whatever...look at the run before his TD run against Colorado...where his hole was closed...took it to the outside...it closed off...didnt panic but found and hole....not only HIT it fast...but ran over somone when he got there and made it to the 1.

This is going to be great...

sound like they want to be superheroes or something...

hmmm...

>>>fast foward to the USC game...

MARLON:

gee, cody... coach callahan looks worried..!

CODY:

gosh, marlon, you're right! this is a big game and the huskers could really make a statement by shutting those trojans down!

MARLON:

and by golly, we will! but we're gonna have to give it our all!

CODY:

you said it, old chum! let's do it!

>>>cody and marlon smash their first together and are bathed in light!

MARLON and CODY:

WONDER TWIN POWERS ACTIVATE!!!

CODY:

form of... THUNDER!!!

MARLON:

form of... LIGHTNING!!!

>>>both put on capes and run out onto the field..!

If it weren't for the "gee" and "golly"............

I'd say that's EXACTLY how it will be :woo;):restore2

:power

:wasted:cheers