Tim Beck interviewing for the UTEP job?

hasnt scott frosts name been thrown in the conversation before? if i remember correctly bo didnt lend out the invite because he hasnt filled bigger shoes other than position coach? was money a factor in him not coming also? not sure about exact details mind you

If people bi*ch about our offense now I can't wait to see how much they would complain if we ran the Oregon offense.

no one would bitch about our offense if they scored like Oregon.

Why do we need to score 70 points a game? Our offense is fine. I am not sure why this is still being debated. Defense is clearly our biggest issue, hands down. Besides, Oregon is 5th in Rushing, as we are 6th.

• Fire 2

Also I am not sure why some people are so hung on Scott Frost. I understand he is a legend here in Huskerland. I grew up idolizing him, but many complain about NU seeming like the stepping stone for coaching, so why keep going in a circle? If we were to ever lose Beck, we need someone who runs the same style offense we have now, with at least a couple years of experience being a play caller with a good record.

hasnt scott frosts name been thrown in the conversation before? if i remember correctly bo didnt lend out the invite because he hasnt filled bigger shoes other than position coach? was money a factor in him not coming also? not sure about exact details mind you

If people bi*ch about our offense now I can't wait to see how much they would complain if we ran the Oregon offense.

No trust me they would. Have you ever seen Oregon go under center or have a FB in the game? Me either. lol I'm not saying I would but you know so many people would throw a fit.

Why do we need to score 70 points a game? Our offense is fine. I am not sure why this is still being debated. Defense is clearly our biggest issue, hands down. Besides, Oregon is 5th in Rushing, as we are 6th.

But who needs defense when your scoring 70 a game? It works for Chip Kelly why can't it work for Bo? Chip is a fist time head coach blah blah blah :sarcasm

No trust me they would. Have you ever seen Oregon go under center or have a FB in the game? Me either. lol I'm not saying I would but you know so many people would throw a fit.

Frost would probably put his own spin on Oregon's offense. Just because chip doesn't like any plays out of the I, I bet with Frost's roots he would go to heavy packages when needed.

Except for in big games when they are playing against a D that has their number.

Sometimes in any offense you just get outschemed our Offense is just fine our D as been said needs some VAST improvment, and I think we get this next year if players stay healthy. The young ones have another year experience, and hopefully we get the Juco talent we are after.

But who needs defense when your scoring 70 a game? It works for Chip Kelly why can't it work for Bo? Chip is a fist time head coach blah blah blah :sarcasm

Ask Oregon how they hold up against a good rushing defense, aka Stanford and their defense can't stop a #40 ranked rushing offense lol. :)

thats why I mentioned his hiring practices, and talent. he hires 3 year projects - and we always have 2-3 (30%) of them on the staff at any given time. right now 2 of his projects hold the most important positions on his staff. if he keeps the same staff, and keeps them together through the inevitable learning curves - the continuity argument will be a valid one 3-4 years from now when someone has a down year - or is looking to leave. But right now, trading out JP for Zook (100% hypothetical) is an upgrade. no other way to look at it. or firing Barney Cotton and hiring Pat Hill (again hypothetical - but possible from a $$ standpoint) is an upgrade. If you're going to turn over coaches like Bo does - you have to be bringing in talent. we know half this staff won't be here 3 years from now...it's obvious after 5 years that it's just not going to happen with Bo. So we can either accept & embrace that method, or fight it. But at the end of the day Beck is likely gone in a year or two - which means we trained yet another mid-level HC. are we building a Bill Walsh coaching tree or a D1 football program? We can't continue to do that and expect to be successful. no other way to look at it.

You're looking at it all the wrong way. The fact that so many of our assistants go on to get better jobs means that the ones that we have had (Sanders, Ekeler, Carl, etc.) are really good coaches. Other programs can see that, and they sweep in and snatch them up. For Carl, that wasn't the case because of his personal life, and Bo went out searching for a place to land his brother. But even Shawn friggin' Watson went to be Louisville's OC and has been pretty successful.

Once this ship gets headed in the right direction again and starts to show improvement, you can bet that Beck and JP will both be looked at by other programs for head coaching roles. It's just how the game goes.

But I get what you're saying, that we should be hiring higher qualified coaches for our assistants. And I agree. But if this is how Bo wants to run the team, then I hope it works or there will be a lot of unhappy people.

Maybe - I guess I'm looking at it from a Nebraska standpoint. Nebraska doesn't benefit if some highly qualified, talented, and trained coach leaves. I don't care if they are a good coach - they aren't here. Doesn't benefit us at all. In fact some are now going to be coaching against us. (while maybe "snatched" - Sanders wasn't "snatched up" in the sense that you mentioned)

Accountability: I've resigned to the fact that Bo is going to turn this staff over frequently. (as are most coaches in the modern era) It's been done through promotions and not firings which is positive (for the coaches) - but regardless, we're turning the staff over every 3-4 years right now. While we may have a history if training HCs as you mentioned...we certainly have never had a problem with continuity like Bo seems to. And Tom had been on the staff for what, 20 years...Solich for 19? Not exactly "training" at that point.

In 97' this was the years on the Nebraska staff for our assistants: 21, 6, 6, 11, 15, 24, 1, 25, 19, 29. That's not a "training ground" for better positions. Those days are over. We won't have someone on staff for 25 years with the way things are going. We'll be lucky to have a good coach on staff for 5 years. So if we are going to only get a few years out of them....why waste the first 2 training them? get someone in there that is gone in 2 years but produces at 100% the entire time they are here.

Exactly. That's why I initially disclaimed my last comment with me probably being naive. I just am to hope that happens, and I guess we really dont know, but it could. Probably wont.

The thing about being a training ground, I noted that we cant really make that one way or another, basically because of the exact points you made with Solich being on Tom's staff for so long, and Tom being on Devaney's staff, which leads to my question of since Papuchis has been assisting Bo since 2005 (7 years prior to getting the DC gig), from GA to full blown position coach, how is he not qualified for a coordinator position yet?

Exactly. That's why I initially disclaimed my last comment with me probably being naive. I just am to hope that happens, and I guess we really dont know, but it could. Probably wont.

The thing about being a training ground, I noted that we cant really make that one way or another, basically because of the exact points you made with Solich being on Tom's staff for so long, and Tom being on Devaney's staff, which leads to my question of since Papuchis has been assisting Bo since 2005 (7 years prior to getting the DC gig), from GA to full blown position coach, how is he not qualified for a coordinator position yet?

good point.

you answered your own question. why do we need to score 70 points a game? because defense is clearly our biggest issue. :) -- or we could fix the defense, but call me a skeptic there. Bo lost a lot of that "defensive genius" luster he came with last season...and what was left is completely gone today.

...and all the rushing yards in the world don't matter if you aren't scoring. Oregon is #2, we're #28 in scoring offense. There's a 15 point per game differential. We are pretty much even with 2007 & 2008. So Beck has gotten us (offensively) back to where we were - scoring 35ish points per game. But, unfortunately Bo has taken us (defensively) back to where we were as well (2008) - giving up 27ish points per game. We're pretty well exactly in the same position as we were in 2008 - only at least back then we were trending in the right direction.

Big 10

#8 MSU- 1205yards, 3.3avg, 100.4y/g---- #75

#13OSU- 1393yards, 3.6avg, 116.1y/g---- #14

#18NW- 1473yards, 3.6avg, 122.8y/g---- #16

#23PSU- 1541yards, 3.5avg, 128.4y/g---- #85

#21WIS- 1618yards, 3.7avg, 124.5y/g---- #11

#57MI- 1872yards, 3.8avg, 156y/g---- #41

#62IOW- 1945 yards, 4.1avg, 162.1y/g---- #72

#76MIN- 2091 yards, 4.6avg, 174.3y/g---- #81

#80PUR- 2152 yards, 4.7avg, 179.3y/g---- #60

#94ILL- 2332 yards, 4.5avg, 194.3y/g---- #100

#96NU- 2533 yards, 4.8avg, 194.8y/g---- #6

#116IND- 2776 yards, 5.0avg, 231.3y/g---- #86

Pac 12

#3 STA- 1140 yards, 2.8avg, 87.7y/g---- #40

#22UT- 1548 yards, 3.7avg, 129.0y/g---- #95

#28OSU- 1566 yards, 4.0avg, 130.5y/g---- #102

#46OR- 1752 yards, 4.0avg, 146.0y/g---- #5

#54UCLA- 2009 yards, 4.1avg, 154.5y/g---- #22

#58USC- 1877 yards, 4.0avg, 156.4y/g---- #70

#64WSU- 1959 yards, 4.0avg, 163.3y/g---- #124

#66WA- 1972 yards, 4.5avg, 164.3y/g---- #92

#72CAL- 2032 yards, 4.3avg, 169.3y/g---- #45

#75ASU- 2064 yards, 4.1avg, 172.0y/g---- #39

#88AZ- 2277 yards, 4.4avg, 189.8y/g---- #17

#115CO- 2712 yards, 5.9avg, 226.0y/g---- #98

Here is another stat that is kind of nice to see. First number is their rushing defense, followed by some stats and ending with their rushing offense ranking.

Big 10 has 5 teams in top 25 rushing defense. Its also followed by 4 teams top 25 rushing offense.

Pac 12 has 2 teams top 25 rushing defense. Its also followed by 3 teams with top 25 rushing offense.

Through our conference play, we played these teams with their rushing defense:

#8 MSU, #13 OSU, #18 NW, #23 PSU, #21WI, #57 MI, #62 Iowa, #76 MN followed by #21 WI again.

Oregon played:

#88 Arizona, #64 Washington State, #66 Washington, #75 Arizona State, #115 Colorado, #58 USC, #72 Cal, #3 Stanford and #28 Oregon State

They faced two teams top 25, let alone top 50 in rushing defense. We faced 5 teams, with replaying WI with top 25 rushing defense. I think Beck did quite well this year with looking at stats like that and being just one spot under Oregon in rushing offense. If we would have had Oregon's schedule, we would have easily been ranked higher in rushing offense, in my opinion. What I am saying, its not hard to look great when your playing schools with almost no defense. That Wisconsin game hurt us a lot statistically lol.

Look what happened to Oregon when they ran into Stanford. Nothing. At least we can say that Beck still put up more than 30 on our losses to a top 25 defense.

• Fire 1