Tim Beck interviewing for the UTEP job?

KC, no the offense was not the problem. In all three losses, cripes, we scored 30, 38, and 31 points respectively. That should be more than enough on all 3 accounts. We nitpick this and that against UCLA, but my opinion is that 30 points with a defensive minded coach should be more than enough regardless. In other words I am on the train that says adjustments have to be made. Changes have to be made-within the system maybe, or even in the determination of personell. Coaching changes CAN NOT be made at this point. That already has been done. These last two seasons you could compare to 2008, in my opinion, that this program is just trying to find itself again with being in a new conference with new road trips with pretty much a completely revamped staff. I'm taking the patience pill still. I think we'll ride it out fine.

I am not on the fire Beck bandwagon by any means. I would like to see him at least finish out Taylors tour here. But I am not going to say the offense was not responsible for the two losses either. Yes they scored points, but some were against the 2nd and 3rd defenders.

We scored nearly 30 points every game I guess, but in the two blow outs, that is little off base.

If he leaves, I hope it is a good step up for him. Not sure UTEP is that, but who knows.

The shotgun is our base and we run toss sweeps from it?...

I don't get the complaining about this either. Just because we run a fair amount out of the shotgun doesn't mean we have a finess spread offense. Hell a lot of the time we line up in the shotgun and still have 2 TE's in the formation. It seems pretty clear we're a run first offense.

Sorry, that was in response to Shark. I don't think the shotgun is our base. We line up under center a pretty good amount.

Not enough IMO. Most of the CCG, we ran shotgun. I don't get it. It's not effective most of the time. IMO, we should almost scrap the shotgun formation completely, with exception of 3rd and long. It's too pass oriented.

And yet the Shotgun is the play where we run QB draws and zone reads, our most effective running plays with Taylor. Taylor also isn't your prototypical passing QB, and the Shotgun is likely a lot better suited for him to throw the ball than asking him to do 3-step, 5-step, 7-step drops from under center.

• Fire 1

I have been growing to be less and less of a fan of Beck. I thought he was going to be great last season, and he showed a lot of promise. I still think he does, but he keeps trending away from a fullback led running game, and I HATE that. Especially in the red zone.

If he can stick with either the pistol, I-formation, or diamond, I will be behind him 110%. If he keeps using the shotgun as our base, I may go insane.

I still think he has a lot of promise, but he HAS to make the running game the #1 priority.

Agreed. His focus in the offseason needs to be on perfecting an identity and discipline. I think abandoning the shotgun spread formations would be a big benefit. Our best run plays seem to come from the Pistol/I-Form/Diamond setups. They still allow you to be multiple and would give us a base look. And the discipline on this team is unacceptable. Penalties and turnovers need to be cleaned up or else the offense will be the problem.

Beck is doing okay, but still gets panicky, his offense lacks fundamentals, and, like the rest of the coaching staff, doesn't think he needs to listen to the people. If he leaves, then so be it. There are better OCs to be had, but i doubt he is going anywhere.

Um .... you have noticed that the zone read out of the shotgun has produced a decent amount of rushing yards for us over the last three years, right?

And yet the Shotgun is the play where we run QB draws and zone reads, our most effective running plays with Taylor. Taylor also isn't your prototypical passing QB, and the Shotgun is likely a lot better suited for him to throw the ball than asking him to do 3-step, 5-step, 7-step drops from under center.

Beat me to it.