Big Red Redemption

As horrible as this all has been, Nebraska still has one final shot at redemption.

Take down Georgia. Take down a national title contender. Take down a top 10 team.

Okay, if I'm Bo Pelini, first thing is you gotta get the team committed to winning this bowl. I expect him to do such.

When South Carolina beat Georgia, they made Georgia lose their cool. Over a hundred yards in penalties. They allowed no turnovers. They choked the run, forcing Georgia to go to the air. They ran it down Georgia's throats.

Nebraska is only good at 1 of those 4 things. So here's what Nebraska has to do.

1. Fundamentals. It's time to knock off the discipline problems. Avoid penalties, hold onto the ball, and tackle. Bo needs to drill those 3 things in everyone's heads. Tackle, hold on, play clean. Limit turnovers to 1 or 0, penalties to under 50 yards, and make clean tackles at the legs and Nebraska is playing a competitive ball game.

2. Physicality. I want more hits like Bell's. I don't want injuries, but I want to see some hurting Bulldogs. Make them mad, make them do stupid things. Keep calm and give them some brutal hits. Get the laundry flying in our favor for once.

3. Stop The Run. It's not about Murray's passing that frightens me. It's the run game. We need a defensive renaissance. Study what Wisco did to us, how they stuffed the run game. Our secondary is good enough that they can make some picks if we force Georgia to the air. We can allow some passing success, but not rushing success.

4. Run it right at them. Run the ball. It's time for some classic Husker power football. Utilize Rex on first down to soften up defenses, utilize Abdullah and Heard for those 2nd and long, 3rd and short plays, and Cross on those 1 yard stands. Throw in the occasional play action to keep them honest.

Goals: Score 4 to 5 TDs

Rushing yards: >250

Passing >150

Turnover margin: -1 or better

Penalty yards: favorable margin of 50

Rushing yds allowed: Less than 150

Passing yards allowed: less than 250

• Fire 1

As horrible as this all has been, Nebraska still has one final shot at redemption.

Take down Georgia. Take down a national title contender. Take down a top 10 team.

Okay, if I'm Bo Pelini, first thing is you gotta get the team committed to winning this bowl. I expect him to do such.

When South Carolina beat Georgia, they made Georgia lose their cool. Over a hundred yards in penalties. They allowed no turnovers. They choked the run, forcing Georgia to go to the air. They ran it down Georgia's throats.

Nebraska is only good at 1 of those 4 things. So here's what Nebraska has to do.

1. Fundamentals. It's time to knock off the discipline problems. Avoid penalties, hold onto the ball, and tackle. Bo needs to drill those 3 things in everyone's heads. Tackle, hold on, play clean. Limit turnovers to 1 or 0, penalties to under 50 yards, and make clean tackles at the legs and Nebraska is playing a competitive ball game.

2. Physicality. I want more hits like Bell's. I don't want injuries, but I want to see some hurting Bulldogs. Make them mad, make them do stupid things. Keep calm and give them some brutal hits. Get the laundry flying in our favor for once.

3. Stop The Run. It's not about Murray's passing that fears me. It's the run game. We need a defensive renaissance. Study what Wisco did to us, how they stuffed the run game. Our secondary is good enough that they can make some picks if we force Georgia to the air. We can allow some passing success, but not rushing success.

4. Run it right at them. Run the ball. It's time for some classic Husker power football. Utilize Rex on first down to soften up defenses, utilize Abdullah and Heard for those 2nd and long, 3rd and short plays, and Cross on those 1 yard stands. Throw in the occasional play action to keep them honest.

Passing >150

My only goal would be to not get humiliated.

3. Stop The Run. It's not about Murray's passing that fears me. It's the run game. We need a defensive renaissance. Study what Wisco did to us, how they stuffed the run game. Our secondary is good enough that they can make some picks if we force Georgia to the air. We can allow some passing success, but not rushing success.

Passing >150

My only goal would be to not get humiliated.

Teams that go in with that goal are usually the most likely to get humiliated.

Good post.... I appreciate the confidence some people still have. I don't know where you guys get it.

I've already said this in a couple of other threads but I'll repeat it - beating Georgia is not impossible, but it requires Nebraska to play the type of game we haven't seen for a long time, which is one that is clean, mistake free, and fundamentally sound.

So that is Bo's challenge. He has to find a way to make these Huskers play clean football. You need to remove every tangible advantage that you possibly can. Give Georgia short fields like we've given pretty much everyone this year and this game WILL be as lopsided as last night.

Bo has to know that he can win back many fans and recruits with a win here, don't think he isn't aware of how badly he needs this game. I'm already starting to look forward to this game, I know we have a shot. Bo just needs to get his team ready this time, erase turnovers, and keep the opponent under 70 points.

Good post.... I appreciate the confidence some people still have. I don't know where you guys get it.

Me either, the only thing we can hope for is that Georgia is so over confident that they come out flat and let us hang around. I dont even want to imagine Taylor throwing into that secondary or facing that pass rush. He fumbles the ball when he's barely touched, whats gona happen when these guys lay the wood to em.

This situation is hopeless. Nebraska will lose to Georgia. The only way the Huskers win is if the Dawgs don't show up. If Georgia can't find the will to come back from what would have been a national title shot, Nebraska could pull the upset. But it would be an upset for sure. Nothing Nebraska can do now will make this season legit. No one game can return the pride that 70 points took from the football program. It will take a season of solid ball sans blow outs to erase the memory of Wisconsin. And somehow, seeing how the Huskers graduate a number of their top players on both sides, I don't see that happening. Nebraska is, until further notice, an ALSO RAN.

I don't like thinking that, let alone typing it, but I think we have to face reality here. Until something drastic changes in terms of coaching or recruiting, we are just an average team in a VERY average conference.

• Fire 1

This situation is hopeless. Nebraska will lose to Georgia. The only way the Huskers win is if the Dawgs don't show up. If Georgia can't find the will to come back from what would have been a national title shot, Nebraska could pull the upset. But it would be an upset for sure. Nothing Nebraska can do now will make this season legit. No one game can return the pride that 70 points took from the football program. It will take a season of solid ball sans blow outs to erase the memory of Wisconsin. And somehow, seeing how the Huskers graduate a number of their top players on both sides, I don't see that happening. Nebraska is, until further notice, an ALSO RAN.

I don't like thinking that, let alone typing it, but I think we have to face reality here. Until something drastic changes in terms of coaching or recruiting, we are just an average team in a VERY average conference.

I expect Georgia to win, but the situation is far from hopeless. You still have a chance, an opportunity, to end your season beating a top 10 team that nearly went to the NCG. No, it won't erase Wisconsin, but it will help us in recruiting for the offseason.

Nebraska will need Georgia to be a little overconfident, yes. But the name of the game here is "mistake-free". Play Nebraska football the way it's supposed to be played.

Limit turnovers. Limit penalties. Clean tackles.

Nebraska has a strength that matches well to one of Georgia's weaknesses: Rushing. Nebraska can run the ball very well, something Georgia has struggled with often. We need to strike at that.

We need to force Murray to throw the ball. He tends to do such anyways, but, this bodes better for us if we can keep them one-dimensional.

AGREE 100%...I'll support this team and enjoy my saturdays watching their games, but I have no confidence that we will be a national contender any time soon, its just the truth.

• Fire 1

Agreed.

Let's hope that Georgia doesn't care about Nebraska because they lost their shot at a national title. Let's hope that this game means nothing to them.

Let us also hope that Nebraska really does care about this game.

I have a feeling that neither will care and Georgia will win by 30+

• Fire 1