Best assessment yet

krc1995

Kaz can stay. Pap's got to go. I think that everything could change if Pelini would just hire one callused, weathered, salty, old DC that can show Pelini how things really work in big time college ball. Pelini really needs a mentor. If we could just get 3 years out of a proved, soon to be retired defensive guru, then things will be on track. It's got to be someone that really doesn't need the job and isn't afraid of or offended by Bo's tirades.

Not sure if this post is serious.

Bo doesn't know how big-time BCS ball works? He needs a mentor? Then he shouldn't be a HC at a major CFB program.

Hire a defensive guru for a few years? Isn't Bo supposed to be a defensive guru? Hell freezes over before Bo admits his scheme isn't working and opens himself up to outside opinions.

Hense the need for someone to come in. Our issues are exactly that he won't admit our scheme isn't working. It's a problem that needs fixed. We are playing the EXACT same defense against a power football team like Wisconsin with the players we have today as we were against spread teams like Missouri/Texas in 2009 when we had Suh. I don't have to tell you that the talent varies greatly between those two teams...and I shouldn't have to tell you that schematically the defense required to stop a Wisconsin style attack versus Missouri/Texas has to be adjusted. Scrapped? Not sure about that - but certainly adjusted. Depending on your front 4 is fine when you have Suh. Depending on them out of pure stubborness to your scheme when you have an undersized line playing a power team is a recipe for a Wisconsiness showing.

Kaz can stay. Pap's got to go. I think that everything could change if Pelini would just hire one callused, weathered, salty, old DC that can show Pelini how things really work in big time college ball. Pelini really needs a mentor. If we could just get 3 years out of a proved, soon to be retired defensive guru, then things will be on track. It's got to be someone that really doesn't need the job and isn't afraid of or offended by Bo's tirades.

Bo doesn't know how big-time BCS ball works? He needs a mentor? Then he shouldn't be a HC at a major CFB program.

Hire a defensive guru for a few years? Isn't Bo supposed to be a defensive guru? Hell freezes over before Bo admits his scheme isn't working and opens himself up to outside opinions.

Hense the need for someone to come in. Our issues are exactly that he won't admit our scheme isn't working. It's a problem that needs fixed. We are playing the EXACT same defense against a power football team like Wisconsin with the players we have today as we were against spread teams like Missouri/Texas in 2009 when we had Suh. I don't have to tell you that the talent varies greatly between those two teams...and I shouldn't have to tell you that schematically the defense required to stop a Wisconsin style attack versus Missouri/Texas has to be adjusted. Scrapped? Not sure about that - but certainly adjusted. Depending on your front 4 is fine when you have Suh. Depending on them out of pure stubborness to your scheme when you have an undersized line playing a power team is a recipe for a Wisconsiness showing.

If Bo won't admit the scheme isn't working, how does brining in someone else change his mindset?

Not sure if this post is serious. Bo doesn't know how big-time BCS ball works? He needs a mentor? Then he shouldn't be a HC at a major CFB program. Hire a defensive guru for a few years? Isn't Bo supposed to be a defensive guru? Hell freezes over before Bo admits his scheme isn't working and opens himself up to outside opinions.
If Bo won't admit the scheme isn't working, how does brining in someone else change his mindset?

I think at that point we wouldnt be concerned if Bo changed his mindset....because he wouldnt be here.

I don't care who the coaches are. If we can't get more athletic on the defensive line and @ LB we're screwed no matter what defensive scheme we play. However, it would have been nice to see adjustments on defense at halftime so we could have held them to 60 instead of 70.

And there lyes the problem, will he learn, can he learn. That is the true unravelling of upper management. Are they able to adjust, make revisions, learn from their mistakes, search, beg for answers. Bo is stubborn man, his main growing step is his ability to overcome that stubborness and put the good of the program in front of his ego.

Bringing in someone else w/ enough experience and ideas to offer up valid opinions and put forth changes that can be sold to Bo? I don't know how that would help either :sarcasm:

Who's going to sell a change to Bo on that staff? DC he's trained since he was a GA? If no one can sell Bo on change, he's not going to change. He's thinking he's doing what's best. Its what he knows. It's like any company - you hire the best possible people and your ego be damned. If you can't do that, then get the heck out of the way because you aren't leading you're dictating.

I thought this was potentially the most telling section of McKewon's article...

» Bo must know that his offense was one Taylor Martinez injury away from total meltdown, and that Martinez's ability to make big plays and somehow avoid that big injury was a considerable stroke of fortune. Martinez is mercurial like March weather in Minden, but the position outside of his presence is a Siberian winter.

Nebraska's signed seven quarterbacks since Pelini arrived. One blew out both knees and retired, another won a conference title for Tulsa on Saturday, two switched positions, one's playing pro baseball, one is redshirting and one is Martinez, who pays for his own quarterbacks coach in the summer and works with a 26-year-old graduate assistant during the season.

The kid's dogged, stubborn and loose with the ball. But offensive coordinator Tim Beck — whom I like, who easily deserves another year — doesn't have any backups to push Martinez, or a dedicated, paid position coach to groom him. Does Beck have the freedom to make the staffing decisions he wants and shape the offense how he pleases?

We all saw how terrible RKIII was against the lowly Gophers. How awful would it be to see Martinez go down in the bowl game, off-season or at any time during his Sr. year? We would be absolutely sunk. I dislike QB controversies, but there is no doubt we are incredibly shallow at that position. I would certainly say we are more shallow at QB than Michigan sans Gardner. And it is a miracle (especially after tackles like Borland made) that Martinez has not gone down to injury this year.

» Bo must know that his offense was one Taylor Martinez injury away from total meltdown, and that Martinez's ability to make big plays and somehow avoid that big injury was a considerable stroke of fortune. Martinez is mercurial like March weather in Minden, but the position outside of his presence is a Siberian winter.

Nebraska's signed seven quarterbacks since Pelini arrived. One blew out both knees and retired, another won a conference title for Tulsa on Saturday, two switched positions, one's playing pro baseball, one is redshirting and one is Martinez, who pays for his own quarterbacks coach in the summer and works with a 26-year-old graduate assistant during the season.

The kid's dogged, stubborn and loose with the ball. But offensive coordinator Tim Beck — whom I like, who easily deserves another year — doesn't have any backups to push Martinez, or a dedicated, paid position coach to groom him. Does Beck have the freedom to make the staffing decisions he wants and shape the offense how he pleases?

We all saw how terrible RKIII was against the lowly Gophers. How awful would it be to see Martinez go down in the bowl game, off-season or at any time during his Sr. year? We would be absolutely sunk. I dislike QB controversies, but there is no doubt we are incredibly shallow at that position. I would certainly say we are more shallow at QB than Michigan sans Gardner. And it is a miracle (especially after tackles like Borland made) that Martinez has not gone down to injury this year.

this team has bigger problems than hypothetical QB injury scenarios. Worrying about this is wasted energy. Cam Newton wouldn't have beat Wisconsin.

this team has bigger problems than hypothetical QB injury scenarios. Worrying about this is wasted energy. Cam Newton wouldn't have beat Wisconsin.

Unless said hypothetical QB injury actually takes place (which is quite possible). Then we are looking at having a QB who can't even get the ball to all the great athletes we have on offense (minus hand-offs and pitch plays). Btw, I don't think McKewon is talking about just the Wiscy game. Step back and read the entire section, and he really makes some great points about how much of a tightwire we're walking on.

Unless said hypothetical QB injury actually takes place (which is quite possible). Then we are looking at having a QB who can't even get the ball to all the great athletes we have on offense (minus hand-offs and pitch plays). Btw, I don't think McKewon is talking about just the Wiscy game. Step back and read the entire section, and he really makes some great points about how much of a tightwire we're walking on.

Oh, I agree we walked that wire all this season (and last). But it's been crossed. We could be easily be looking at a 6 win season right now had Martinez gone down early.

I'm not sure it will be so predominant next season though. For one, if someone goes down I don't think we'd have a problem handing the ball to Heard, Cross. Abdullah 65 times a game. I don't think we could have lived off that this year though. Next year? Probably. So unless he goes down against Georgia - which we are losing to anyway - this season is essentially over.

He doesn't come right and say it but directly eludes to the fact that we have a real problem in that we either cannot develop the kids that we get in or are recruiting the wrong kids. He's right.

I've heard mention that the defensive scheme is too complex for a player to learn in a single season. That's a serious problem. It seems like every other program in the country has RSF and Sophomores contributing every week but our best option when a DT gets hurt is to put in a way undersized DE to get steamrolled all night.

<div>

We all saw how terrible RKIII was against the lowly Gophers.
</div>

<div> </div>

<div>We also saw how many times Pelini/Beck had the opportunity to put him in to get some snaps and they didn't. </div>

Ummm...I don't think that woulda matter one iota. He got some time earlier this year in a couple different games, and then he got pretty much the entire 4th qtr against Minn. That's more time than backups saw at all in 2011.

OK, sorry to divert this thread to RKIII being terrible. Back to McKewon's assessment...