Marrow to Kentucky

:bang Big loss. Fire Cotton, Garrison, Els, I don't care. Needed to make Marrow the full-time TE Coach.

Like I put in my post, if all of this is actually true, I think Bo needs to pony up and get him on staff.

BUT...here is the big question I have. Is he actually a good coach? Seriously.....would we be simply giving a guy a position on the staff because he is a good recruiter and that's it?

THEN....my question becomes....do these kids actually believe that Vince is the only guy that can make them into the player they want to be? Isn't the program, complete staff and the players around you that you want to play with just as important if not MORE important than just one guy? What happens if after being here one year, he takes a higher position somewhere else?

??? Don't agree? Many people here would actually agree with me in regards to Marrow being a solid recruiter.

Well, firstly, I'd say Beck is our top recruiter. Secondly, if Marrow has only a recent, temporary waiver for recruiting for Cotton's surgery, how does he suddenly become one of our top recruiters?

I'd put JP at 1a and Beck at 1b. That's why I thought it was a stretch. He's a good recruiter - but we have a few better on the staff.

And it hasn't been recent: "Marrow has been recruiting on the road for the Big Red for most of the year because of a surgery offensive line coach Barney Cotton had. A year ago he recruited in the place of Carl Pelini when he left in December to take the head coaching job at Florida Atlantic."

If he takes recruits with him - that's be a pretty big kick in the nuts to Bo. I'll do my best not to read into that too much if he does - but it will be hard not to.

??? Don't agree? Many people here would actually agree with me in regards to Marrow being a solid recruiter.

Well, firstly, I'd say Beck is our top recruiter. Secondly, if Marrow has only a recent, temporary waiver for recruiting for Cotton's surgery, how does he suddenly become one of our top recruiters?

Beck needs to get back to recruiting balls to the walls as he is a great recruiter! Seems like since he became OC it has slowly taken a backseat. Hopefully we can find a solution for this.

This is Marrows 2nd year on the road recruiting for us. He has more connections in Ohio than we know what to do with. I was really hoping we would keep this guy on staff. I am still under the impression a full time spot will be available on the staff this offseason

Not sure if you're aware of this zoogies, but GA's are allowed to recruit, albeit in a somewhat limited capacity. They can call recruits as well as show them around campus whenever they visit officially or unofficially. Marrow's waiver as a fill-in for Cotton allowed him to go on the road which he wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. With that in mind, he did manage to connect with recruits in his limited capacity and short tenure here at NU, particularly the Ohio recruits.

While I wish we could've made room for him here, I'm also glad to see that he's been given an opportunity elsewhere.

Despite starting their next drive with two false-start penalties, the Huskers came right back. Martinez was hit late but completed a post pass to Kenny Bell, who twice straight-armed defenders on a 74-yard gainer. Martinez stayed in and ended up scoring on a 9-yard run to make it 24-21.

From espn on the Ohio state game: scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=322800194

That's one of the three I remember. I know another was in the Wiscy pt 2. as well.

Other than that, I can't find stats on the O-line false starts/holds.

So you found one instance that wasn't a 1st & 30 and we finished that drive with a rushing touchdown.

We had 12 false start penalties this year according to the ESPN.com Play-by-Play. Some were not specified who they were on but two were not against OLineman so even if you assume the rest are that's 10 times in 13 games. None of them against Wiscy the second time, by the way. We had nine holding penalties with a max of five against the OLine and a max of four illegal blocks. Only two games (Idaho St. and Wiscy I) did we have more than one holding/Illegal block in a game.

That's less than one false start and one illegal block (including holding) per game.

I believe WRs ( I think K Bell) had at least two this year and I'm pretty sure the back field had a couple also. So, out of 12 false starts, MAYBE 6-8 were on the O line.

Chris, as I understand it JP's recruiting prowess is a little exaggerated. While he does have that reputation, it seems to come largely from "almost" landing Owa, and this is neither horseshoes nor hand grenades. Thanks for the explanation on Marrow to both of you. Barney was never much one for hitting the recruiting trail nationally I think, so Marrow's Ohio ties would have been pretty valuable.

I guess his departure is now official?

Also, Nexus, I wasn't aware of that. But it probably should've been obvious in hindsight. Thanks! :P

Not trying to sound argumentative here, just actually wondering. But why is it that Courtney Love will probably decommit? I know Marrow was a big part of recruiting him, but he is not the LB coach. Why is marrow so important to him?

Neither love or McWilson will decommit.

People are just being bitchy.

Despite starting their next drive with two false-start penalties, the Huskers came right back. Martinez was hit late but completed a post pass to Kenny Bell, who twice straight-armed defenders on a 74-yard gainer. Martinez stayed in and ended up scoring on a 9-yard run to make it 24-21.

That's one of the three I remember. I know another was in the Wiscy pt 2. as well.

So you found one instance that wasn't a 1st & 30 and we finished that drive with a rushing touchdown.

We had 12 false start penalties this year according to the ESPN.com Play-by-Play. Some were not specified who they were on but two were not against OLineman so even if you assume the rest are that's 10 times in 13 games. None of them against Wiscy the second time, by the way. We had nine holding penalties with a max of five against the OLine and a max of four illegal blocks. Only two games (Idaho St. and Wiscy I) did we have more than one holding/Illegal block in a game.

That's less than one false start and one illegal block (including holding) per game.

I believe WRs ( I think K Bell) had at least two this year and I'm pretty sure the back field had a couple also. So, out of 12 false starts, MAYBE 6-8 were on the O line.

they had a couple in a row early in the season - and sirles is good for at least 1 15 yard PF a game....

I think the bigger issue is - when did these penalties happen? When we were outside of our comfort zone? when we regress to old habits when the pressure is on? home/away.

Side note: OL is worse than defense seeing as how defense is not a coaching issue, it's a talent issue.

OMFG, its panic mode in here for what reason?

Many of you people screaming FIRE COTTON, obviously forget that he has not had many highly recruited kids on the OL in a while. Last two years are the first two years he had any talent, and its hard to start a kid as a Redshirt Freshman as it is a true Freshman. You forget he has made walk-ons known here. Mike Caputo, Ricky Henry, Justin Jackson, Cole Pensick, Choi, Jamarcus Hardrick and Spencer Long. Not all these kids were highly recruited. Two of them are in the NFL with the Saints right now from last year. Next year we will have these guys with another year of experience and more training, along with Paul Thurston, Corey Whitaker, Zach Sterup, Ryan Reeves and Givens-Price.

I understand patience isn't a strong suit in Huskerland, but demanding a coach to be fired for someone who has MAX 3 recruits, 1 who was never even a commit, 1 who just recently committed and supposedly Courtney Love. Courtney Love I thought was a Ross Els commit, but I could very well be wrong.

There was a question on who is going to teach TE's. That answer is simple, Garrison. His title never changed and Ron Brown is there to help, since he is the one who made Reed and Cotton into who they are today, not Garrison, not Marrow and not Barney.

OMFG, its panic mode in here for what reason?

Many of you people screaming FIRE COTTON, obviously forget that he has not had many highly recruited kids on the OL in a while. Last two years are the first two years he had any talent, and its hard to start a kid as a Redshirt Freshman as it is a true Freshman. You forget he has made walk-ons known here. Mike Caputo, Ricky Henry, Justin Jackson, Cole Pensick, Choi, Jamarcus Hardrick and Spencer Long. Not all these kids were highly recruited. Two of them are in the NFL with the Saints right now from last year. Next year we will have these guys with another year of experience and more training, along with Paul Thurston, Corey Whitaker, Zach Sterup, Ryan Reeves and Givens-Price.

I understand patience isn't a strong suit in Huskerland, but demanding a coach to be fired for someone who has MAX 3 recruits, 1 who was never even a commit, 1 who just recently committed and supposedly Courtney Love. Courtney Love I thought was a Ross Els commit, but I could very well be wrong.

There was a question on who is going to teach TE's. That answer is simple, Garrison. His title never changed and Ron Brown is there to help, since he is the one who made Reed and Cotton into who they are today, not Garrison, not Marrow and not Barney.

doesn't really seem panic mode to me. the FIRE COTTON stuff is much less about keeping Marrow than he's just a wasted position on the staff.

and i find it hard to get excited over that group of OL you just mentioned. it was sopposed to be Moudy, Moore, ARod, Cotton, Klatchko, Qvale, Reeves, Sirles, etc. Half are gone, the other half are hurt. and the ones that are gone now - were u every really impressed with Caputo, Henry, Hardrick, etc? (Pensick/Henry/Hardrick were not walk-ons by the way) Long/Choi are the only decently "developed' OL we've had in 4-5 years here.

PS Some of those Oline recruits were VERY highly thought of recruiting wise. Tyler Moore, Klachko, Hardrick, A-Rod (biggest waste), and I know there are more.. Our o-line talent isn't as awful as you make it sound. Funny how walk-ons are starting over highly rated guys...maybe because the coaching is poor, thus the potential isn't being fulfilled...