Anxiously awaiting the Fighting Erstads season

Most think the next two schools to join will be Virgina and North Carolina (both are AAU accredited). So one can only speculate that "if" these schools are offered and do join (big if) then most assuredly baseball becomes more prominent. (UNC is currently one of the expected CWS participants this year). Also, even if these schools don't join one can, with reasoning, expect the B1G to reconsider their current baseball policies. I also think getting to host a regional and seeing the $$$ generated by Nebraska as well as the $$$ that schools like Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Indiana, Purdue, Penn St have invested will in fact bring change. I think one can assume with relative confidence that Nebraska has a chance to be the leader here and that Erstad fits the challenge of leading the charge perfectly.

Most think the next two schools to join will be Virgina and North Carolina (both are AAU accredited). So one can only speculate that "if" these schools are offered and do join (big if) then most assuredly baseball becomes more prominent. (UNC is currently one of the expected CWS participants this year). Also, even if these schools don't join one can, with reasoning, expect the B1G to reconsider their current baseball policies. I also think getting to host a regional and seeing the $$$ generated by Nebraska as well as the $$$ that schools like Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Indiana, Purdue, Penn St have invested will in fact bring change. I think one can assume with relative confidence that Nebraska has a chance to be the leader here and that Erstad fits the challenge of leading the charge perfectly.

If we get any of those two schools it should be a hell of a difference in the Big Ten.

If we get any of those two schools it should be a hell of a difference in the Big Ten.

Would make a huge difference in how baseball is looked at by the Big 10 for sure. Would be one hell of a challenge to win the conference for a few years for teams besides UVA and UNC though. Those teams are on a whole different level than anyone in the conference right now.

Would make a huge difference in how baseball is looked at by the Big 10 for sure. Would be one hell of a challenge to win the conference for a few years for teams besides UVA and UNC though. Those teams are on a whole different level than anyone in the conference right now.

Exactly, it will make the other teams in the conference have to pay attention to baseball.

Exactly, it will make the other teams in the conference have to pay attention to baseball.

Obviously it would take a few years to catch those teams but I think it could be done. Nebraska is obviously the place it would be easiest to accomplish. We already have kids would want for a college. Facilities are top notch, fan support is great, and you would think playing for Erstad, who knows what it takes to be a good player both in college and the pros, would be very beneficial.

The BIg 10 can be a good baseball conference if it would just invest the money to do so. Many major league markets are in the Big 10 footprint. Just invest the money and things will change.

@wiuhusker .... I'm kind of jealous of your siggy, grrr!!!

as for the B1G and baseball... the investment has started.

Michigan = $9 million investment in stadium

Michigan State = new baseball stadium

Purdue = New $10.3 million baseball stadium

tOSU = $4.7 million renovations to Bill Davis Stadium

Penn St = 31 Million for Medlar Field

Indiana = $19.8 million facility

additionally, Rutger's Bainton Field was recently renovated and they too have had some (Michigan State like) success.

So, as seen above, there is an emphasis on baseball in the B1G. The question is will the commissioners office take the investment seriously and make changes to current recruiting standards that will make the B1G's schools more evenly matched when recruiting. I personally believe we have only began to witness the overall investment that both the B1G and the B1G network will make.

The Big Ten Network needs to get serious and either reduce or eliminate the awful Student U broadcasts and replace them with their normal broadcasts (and no more tape-delay bull*%#$). This probably won't happen but I can dream.

This, if anything, will require people complaining to the BTN. They've got the bandwidth in their schedule during the summer, but they don't feel that baseball is important enough to cover, save for an occasional game per team/per month.

Most think the next two schools to join will be Virgina and North Carolina (both are AAU accredited).

AAU accreditation isn't really necessary. Nebraska losing their accreditation (with B1G member schools voting against us, even) and Notre Dame not even having AAU accreditation means it's way down on the list.

Having said that, I'd bet on Georgia Tech over North Carolina--NC has baggage (read: Duke) they want to bring along.

@wiuhusker .... I'm kind of jealous of your siggy, grrr!!!

as for the B1G and baseball... the investment has started.

Michigan = $9 million investment in stadium

Michigan State = new baseball stadium

Purdue = New $10.3 million baseball stadium

tOSU = $4.7 million renovations to Bill Davis Stadium

Penn St = 31 Million for Medlar Field

Indiana = $19.8 million facility

additionally, Rutger's Bainton Field was recently renovated and they too have had some (Michigan State like) success.

So, as seen above, there is an emphasis on baseball in the B1G. The question is will the commissioners office take the investment seriously and make changes to current recruiting standards that will make the B1G's schools more evenly matched when recruiting. I personally believe we have only began to witness the overall investment that both the B1G and the B1G network will make.

The sig is looking good thanks to you. I didn't realize how much renovation and upgrade has been taking place throughout the league baseball wise. Hopefully this will all pay off and the Big 10 can get to be known as a respectable baseball conference.

CSU Bakersfield Picked 5th in the WAC...

Article Link

CS Fullerton Picked to win the Big West Conference...

Article Link

We really need to win that first game... A split with Fullerton would be huge too. They open with USC, then the sker's followed by Bakersfield. Maybe, hopefully, the game with USC is a distraction. :)

USC, opens with Fullerton, then Bakerfield, then us... This schedule IMO, plays in our favor. USC will want the win over Fullerton and Bakersfield most so... might they also come in a little less focused?

Imagine leaving 3-1 and the hype that would follow. Would be AWESOME!!! That said, I fully expect a 2-2 record (at best) to start.

I have to believe we'll be better.

Pat Kelly was a true freshmen and is ofc back

Pritchard was hurt most of the year last year and is a very tough out. Very talented lead off hitter and base runner. He's finally healthy.

In all, the infield will be much deeper then last year allowing Chad Christiansen to play the OF... Erstad is saying LF (I think) so I expect improvement there, Darby in RF with Sangi in Center

The concern, if it can be called that, is at catcher.. I think we'll be fine there but as everyone knows a huge part of success is being able to throw out base runners, have to wait and see here.

The announced starters are Kubat (lefty) Hander (righty) Hirsch (lefty) and Pierce with Dylan assuming the initial closer role. Not surprised by the 4 starters but... somewhat surprised by the closer choice as Vogt is a very talanted long reliever. Still, I think the staff as a whole will be improved. I think having Silva's tutelage now in his second year will show. I expect the change up to be used more effectively and pitch setup improvement. I like the chance of seeing a certain freshmen getting a few starts too.

In all, I think we should see improvement in play but I think our record will mirror last years. Mainly because of the intangibles. Northwestern has some solid pitching, Illinois (with the hit and run play) will be tough. We travel to Purdue but have Indiana home... Also, I think our top players are still young and it will show early but I think by the time conference play begins we could have something special developing. I'm hoping.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that Erstad mentioned "hell on bases" in his acceptance speech so I'm expecting a little faster game play on the bases. More hit and run and stealing. Again, hoping anyway. The more pressure one can place on the defense the more often one forces errors, yes?

Edit 2:

I should also state that most of what I know comes from personal perception and from reading perfect game and baseball america links. Saying this I should also say that in several places the skers are mentioned as dark horses. I take that as writers that truly believe we are improving.