Anxiously awaiting the Fighting Erstads season

I think the arm depth on the team is much better then in the recent past. Also Silva likes the change to off set the heat... with that in mind I think kubat gets first look for Friday starts... I also think bummer's efforts through the summer and fall ball keeps him in the mix. Regardless, the depth exists and with it comes some high expectations.

Yes, can't wait for baseball season to come around. I would think we should be at or near the top as far as favorites to win the B1G go, and we've got a nice slate of non-con games to help us compensate for the B1G.

I'll have to see if I can make it down to Austin to see one or more of that series. Even though the Vermin are down, they're still a good barometer as to how our team will have progressed since last season, IMO.

I think this team should be more competitive than last year. Obviously with Erstad in his 2nd year and the talent that he has coming up. I think there is good potential for a scrappy grind it out team here. I love baseball season and I too cannot wait to get out to the ballpark. It will be fun to watch us compete against much better competition in the non con this year. Im looking forward to it!

Imagine this:

Winning the BIG by defeating Purdue in the conference championship game. (redemption for 2012)

Winning a regional in Lincoln as the #2 against Cal St Fullerton the #1 seed (reward for the tough west coast non-conference schedule that includes facing Fullerton 4x's)

Winning a super regional against TexASS in Hay Market after they knock Arizona off in a regional. (reward for the trip to Austin in February)

Now that would be awesome!!

• 3 weeks later...

The number of home games might be a little less this year, but don't forget the TD Ameritrade Classic in Omaha with 4 games and the two against Creighton also at TD. If you haven't been down there to a NU-CU game, they're a lot of fun. Not nearly as fun as Haymarket, but still fun.

The preseason top 40 came out a couple of weeks ago, and if you look at not only the top 40 but also all those who received votes (total of 111 teams), The Huskers will face 12 teams that are either in the top 40 or received votes, for a total of 33 out of their 54 scheduled games this year.

Arkansas - #1 - 2 games

Texas - #21 - 3 games

Cal State Fullerton - #23 - 4 games

UC Irvine - #30 - 3 games

New Mexico - #33 - 3 games

Oklahoma State - also received votes - 2 games

USC - also received votes - 1 game

Indiana - also received votes - 3 games

Ohio State - also received votes - 3 games

Illinois - also received votes - 3 games

Minnesota - also received votes - 3 games

Purdue - also received votes - 3 games

I think if they can go about .600 in the non-con, win the B1G regular season or maybe finish 2nd, and then make the B1G finals, we're going to be sitting in a really good spot for an at-large bid and maybe even hosting a regional, especially given our attendance numbers. With the Coach E & staff in their second year, the vast majority of our offense and defense back, and the improvements in pitching, I truly expect to be buying tickets to a regional game this year, and perhaps on to Omaha!!!

Whatever the W/L record hits is irrelevant for me, as long as we can look at the end of the season and see tangible progress from last year. Not playing on Northwestern's lumpy turf will automatically raise our infield defense about 100 points :o:P My only demand is that they improve their conference record. Pick up more than 1 sweep, don't lose any series to teams that finish outside the conference tournament.

• 2 weeks later...

I have wondered about the future of Husker baseball in the Big 10 and while I feel Erstad will move us in the right direction, it hasn't been known as a strong baseball conference for 20 or more years. Adding a quality noncon schedule will help prepare us for the conference season. Wondering too if the Big 10 adds Fla St and G Tech if that would push baseball a bit higher on the totem pole?

I have wondered about the future of Husker baseball in the Big 10 and while I feel Erstad will move us in the right direction, it hasn't been known as a strong baseball conference for 20 or more years. Adding a quality noncon schedule will help prepare us for the conference season. Wondering too if the Big 10 adds Fla St and G Tech if that would push baseball a bit higher on the totem pole?

Some of us have talked about that; the ACC has some strong collegiate baseball programs, and if we get ACC schools, they're going to want the recruiting/oversigning restrictions in the B1G removed. That, moreso than climate and start dates IMO, has helped put B1G baseball where it currently resides.

Though having some warm-weather schools will help B1G baseball; just like the Texass schools, they'll get the bulk of their home games early from the northern teams, then vice-versa.

And UVA has a good baseball program that they won't want to see hindered by myopic B1G policy...and they've done all but sign on the dotted line at this point.