Syria

OK...I read it again. He is saying (paraphrasing) "I have the power to do what I want but since everyone wants me to, I am going to go ask permission from congress".

BUUUUTTTT.....back in 2008 he was adamant that the President does NOT have the power to act on his own to bomb a country without congressional permission unless we are under attack.

Apparently not doing something tarnishes America's foreign esteem. Strange world, eh? "Please stick your noses in other people's business, America."

I think Obama had to say that he could still go ahead with the strike without Congressional approval. It does seem a little hypocritical of him given how opposed he was to Bush's actions but appears to have been quite close to circumventing Congress.

On the other hand he's not willing to give up this established ability of the executive branch because it would tie our hands in the future. Notably if there's another incident before the vote, he'll go ahead and commence the strikes.

What's the deal with Britain? Is there really no possibility that they will reverse course? That seems kind of weird. Why isn't there a chance that the issue will come up for a vote again, given as it is a fluid situation, especially in terms of our understanding of what happened?

OK...I read it again. He is saying (paraphrasing) "I have the power to do what I want but since everyone wants me to, I am going to go ask permission from congress".

BUUUUTTTT.....back in 2008 he was adamant that the President does NOT have the power to act on his own to bomb a country without congressional permission unless we are under attack.

You are absolutely hilarious on this issue. You will defend this man to your death.

YOU now are ignoring the part I underlined in the first place. I'll quote it again so that you won't miss it again.

But senior administration officials briefing reporters at the White House later said that Obama still believes he has the legal authority to act without congressional support meaning that a “no” vote would not necessarily handcuff his foreign policy. And they disputed that Obama risked setting a precedent that could limit the power of future occupants of the Oval Office.

The part in red even makes it interesting. :P

This is from a "senior administration official" so, I'm assuming they aren't wrong on Obama's stance. I haven't heard anyone getting fired for misquoting the President.

You are absolutely hilarious on this issue. You will defend this man to your death.

Nearly as hilarious as your desperate search for hypocrisy. ;)

This is from a "senior administration official" so, I'm assuming they aren't wrong on Obama's stance. I haven't heard anyone getting fired for misquoting the President.

Uh, yuh.

Carl- You are really starting to lose any credibility you might have had. Are you really going to continue to defend Obama's mishandling of this situation? It is plain to see that Obama's current position on use of force in the Mideast is contradicting what he claimed Bush should do in similar circumstances. On top of that, he is looking totally inept. Says they crossed the line but hasn't acted. It's almost as if he can't bring himself to pull the trigger.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see the US involved in Syria. But, Obama is the one who was laying out consequences for crossing the line they crossed. He is in a no win situation now. He will be criticized (and rightly so) whether he acts or doesn't act. Might as well get used to it.

Nearly as hilarious as your desperate search for hypocrisy. ;)

Uh, yuh.

Interesting. So, you are claiming the officals were wrong? The quote from your article was plural, meaning there was more than one administration official claiming Obama believes he has the power to bomb away with out Congress's approval.

But, I can understand why you want to dodge that point. Cary on. :P

Obama's seriously stepping on his richard, considering any American involvement in this middle eastern sh*t pinata...

What does this country stand to gain by intervening in a fight that we have no business in? If we fire cruise missiles at Syria, the rebels, who everyone is forgetting are a$$holes (you can thank the media for that one) won't change anything in that region of the world. I haven't had a problem with what he's done up to now, but if he gets the U.S. involved in this, Obama is a f*ckin' moron...

http://www.usatoday....earing/2761445/

Shortly afterward, McCain came clean in a sarcastic tweet posted on his Twitter account that began with the word, "Scandal!

McCain wrote that he'd been caught playing on his phone during a hearing that, he quickly pointed out, exceeded three hours.

The senator added, "Worst of all, I lost!"

I mean, how can we expect our Senators to pay attention for THREE WHOLE HOURS during a hearing in which we are talking about bombing another country? How ludicrous of us.

• Fire 2