Turnovers

I think it was more due to the 500 yards and 5 TDs that Aaron Murray threw on us and our "#1 pass defense in the country!!!". That's a joke because most teams just run up and over us to win. Another 9-10 win season with no significant wins. We meddle in mediocrity.

Unfortunately so true. With no pass rush, I wonder what our pass def ranking would be in the pass happy Big 12. Teams just ran over us - why risk a 20 yard pass when you can do it more safely on the ground.

This is the difference between great teams and us. Great teams bounce back while we fold like a folding chair. We fumble the ball, and then we look like a completely different team. We bring in a right tackle that automatically false starts. Next play, he gets taken to the shed so he has to hold. Physically, I don't think we're in bad shape. Mentally, we're still a bit soft. When we were winning on the side of turnovers and penalties, we were winning the game. When things started to go south, we folded. There are going to be momentum swings in games. Our guys have got to be mentally tougher when the tide swings away from us.

I do think the team has demonstrated some resiliency and mental toughness though. Goodness knows they get themselves in all kinds of trouble almost all the time.

Physically, and talent-wise, I think we were outmatched by Georgia. You look at their defense and see a lot of fast, athletic, talented specimens giving us all we could handle. I mean particularly the OL matchup, I guess -- our OL appeared to be almost toyed with at times, and this is a consistent trend. I feel like our coaches ran a mostly great game where we played this very strong team extremely tough, but they pulled a few more punches than we were able to. I think that goes to the talent gap winning out despite a strong effort from this staff in preparation and the players for a lot of the game.

Just listening to all the conversation about the turnover issues. Just like "Dawg to the Bone," I too am a Georgian for Nebraska. Y'all really took up the slack for me during the '90s when coach Ray Goff was in charge of Georgia. Remembering explosive athletes Turner Gill, Nate Mason, McCauthorne Clayton, Steve Taylor, Mickey Joseph, Keithen McCant, and Mike Grant just operate the option-I offense with their lateral speed, extreme quickness and strong, powerful I-backs! That was golden ... Nebraska football at its best!

And then came along Tommie Frazier. Can y'all remember the fall of 1992? I know it's a very long time ago, but recall that back in the fall of '92, Tommie Frazier, Derek Brown, Lance Lewis, and Calvin Jones went all the way through October without having a single lost fumble! They displayed tremendous ball security ... and Lance Lewis was the Rex Burkhead of that era. He was a beast. Again, no fumbles from Frazier and the Huskers from Sept. to late October of 1992.

Wasn't a great year for the defense. Kind of reminds me of Bo's first year in 2008. We gave up a lot of yards to teams like Oklahoma and Missouri. One year later we become without a doubt one of the best D's in college football. If we can improve our D enough and with our offense which I believe will only be better next year. We've got a chance to do some great things.

Good year boys! I'm already ready for next year. Go Huskers!

What I fail to understand is how credit can't be given to Aaron Murray for tearing apart a very good pass defense. He threw a lot of players open today. You can only defend the pass so well, just look at anybody trying to defend passes from Peyton Manning this year. For the most part, we had them covered, and Murray threw a perfect pass.

You can only do so much.

But whatever, I guess that's beyond the comprehension of fans, who only wish to constantly harp on this team until we win every game by 35, and surrender 0 points in a season.

As an outsider, my observation was that on most plays your coaches had players in the right positions to make plays, but the (UGA) offensive players simply made the plays. That's not a coaching issue. Look at the long pass by King where he was covered by two receivers for example. The wildcat formation I don't think we have run all year or in a very very limited amount. Your defense was probably not even prepared to see that from us.The tight end drag was a busted coverage, but most plays were simply athlete on athlete.

I didn't watch Nebraska too much this year and I can certainly understand where it is never acceptable for someone to score 70 points on your team...ever. However, this defensive scheme looks the same as LSU runs now with a lot of man to man coverage, stuffing the run and pressure on the quarterback. It just looks like some of the players aren't executing because of talent or hustle of the opposing player. Anyway, it's really none of my business. It was a great game. I love the Big Red.

I'd be careful using that word around here lol That's how I feel though. Bo's first couple recruiting classes were not very good and that's an understatement. It's improved and we'll see what happens the next couple years.

I don't know if it is just me, but that TD pass over Green, he could have prevented that. Instead of just worrying about making an incomplete ball, he went for the big play (interception) miss judged and got beat out. If he had just put his hand in the way of the receiver and tried to knock it out, he could have prevented 6 points, or put your hands on the guy if you can't stop him and get the PI call. Better a 15 yard penalty (because he wasn't in the endzone), than to give up a TD. That was just a lack of execution on Green. I am not downing his ability to play, but I hope he smartens up some for next year. He could have his hands full with the talent we have with trying to keep his position. On the other hand, it was a great throw by Murray and a great catch on the WR's end. Could have been prevented though.

I don't know if it is just me, but that TD pass over Green, he could have prevented that. Instead of just worrying about making an incomplete ball, he went for the big play (interception) miss judged and got beat out. If he had just put his hand in the way of the receiver and tried to knock it out, he could have prevented 6 points, or put your hands on the guy if you can't stop him and get the PI call. Better a 15 yard penalty (because he wasn't in the endzone), than to give up a TD. That was just a lack of execution on Green. I am not downing his ability to play, but I hope he smartens up some for next year. He could have his hands full with the talent we have with trying to keep his position. On the other hand, it was a great throw by Murray and a great catch on the WR's end. Could have been prevented though.

i was really impressed by how green played at the end of last season, this year not so much he has blown coverages all year

In rushing we are right up there with the worst. I guess I'm just frustrated because I'd hoped we'd have a good team this year and while I think we're good, we're not where we want to be or where we were a decade ago.

I'm confused. You hoped we'd have a good team, and you think we're good, but we're not where we want to be. So did you hope for a good team (which you admit we had), or something more?

Also, a decade ago was 2003. We went 10-3. Or, if you want to count it by seasons and not by actual year, it would have been 2002, when we went 7-7.

I guess I poorly worded that. Let me spell it out. We finished 10-4...Oh, by the way, just so you know (from Twitter):

Rittenberg/Bennett@ESPN_BigTen

Nebraska RT @HuskerExtraBC: Defense gave up average of 53.5 points a game in 4 losses, an amazing number to see written in front of you.

When I say good, I mean winning 10-11 or more games and the games that we lost, if any, not being by an average of fifty points. In other words, competitive. We look 'good' by record being 10-4 but we all know that those 10 wins aren't against top tier teams. Also, to clear up my 'decade ago' remark, I was referring to the 90s when we were not only winning championships but when we lost, it wasn't by an average of 53.5 points.

We didn't lose by an average of 53.5 points. In the four losses, the other teams scored a TOTAL on average of 53.5 points. UCLA beat us by less than a TD. Georgia beat us by two touchdowns. Heck, even Wisconsin only beat us by 39 points.

Wisconsin offensively only scored 63 points. Ohio St. only scored 49 with their offense. UCLA only scored 34 with their offense. Georgia only scored 43 with their offense, hence, we only gave up an average of 47.25ppg in 4 losses, defensively-IF YOU WANNA BE FACTUAL.