NCAA getting sued over PSU sanctions

MichiganMan

I'm actually glad they're doing this. I felt all along the NCAA over stepped their bounds. It was a legal and judicial issue not an athletics issue in anyway. If you want to strip the wins and all that stuff fine, but to cripple a program for things that will be sorted out in court is unprecedented and in my opinion outside the NCAA's jurisdiction.

For those egging this on, even if this isn't PSU filing suit itself, do you really want PSU taking the chance that the NCAA will make the sanctions worse? From what I recall of Emmert's presser, it really sounded like the only reason they didn't get hit with the death penalty was the cooperation given by the school. I know I read a few different stories on the topic at the time that basically sounded like the deliberation was exactly that - whether to put in the death penalty or give them really harsh penalties. Even something as little as fighting about where the monies go could, to my way of thinking, influence the decision-makers at the NCAA to rethink the punishment.

Should be interesting to say the least to see how this transpires.

Corbett is just trying to placate the PSU lunatic fringe that has been trying to deflect attention from Paterno's involvement by focusing on him.

Best case scenario...PSU is removed from the NCAA, loses it's accreditation and the Pentagon begins testing next generation enhanced radiation weapons in central PA.

I'm actually glad they're doing this. I felt all along the NCAA over stepped their bounds. It was a legal and judicial issue not an athletics issue in anyway. If you want to strip the wins and all that stuff fine, but to cripple a program for things that will be sorted out in court is unprecedented and in my opinion outside the NCAA's jurisdiction.

I think we are in the minority. Most people have crucified PSU already. The NCAA was quick to attach the Sandusky crimes and the unsettled legal issues with the University directly to the football program. I read the court filing and while it does contain some opinions on the state of the NCAA and Emmert but it does have some very good points. The one that stood out to me is that other universities have been charged with serious crimes (Baylor cover up of a murder; UVA and Montana St rapes) and the NCAA did nothing in those cases. The filing states the recent criticism of the NCAA led them to take this serious action against PSU. The court filing did not play that up enough imo.

I know this gets debated and always will. Were the sanctions a bit stiff? I can say yes. The sanctions couldve only been for 2 years. But to me, the NCAA had to do something. The cover-up took place BECUASE of the football program-in protection of the program. I know it's sad that all these players have to pay the price as well for something they had nothing to do with, but that's life. They also have to choice to go elsewhere. I have nothing to do with the overspending of our government, but I still have to pay the higher taxes. I've never written a bad check in my life, but it doesnt mean i can write a check to a place that doesnt allow them anymore. That's just my opinion on the matter.

I think we are in the minority. Most people have crucified PSU already. The NCAA was quick to attach the Sandusky crimes and the unsettled legal issues with the University directly to the football program. I read the court filing and while it does contain some opinions on the state of the NCAA and Emmert but it does have some very good points. The one that stood out to me is that other universities have been charged with serious crimes (Baylor cover up of a murder; UVA and Montana St rapes) and the NCAA did nothing in those cases. The filing states the recent criticism of the NCAA led them to take this serious action against PSU. The court filing did not play that up enough imo.

Baylor's basketball program did indeed receive sanction over that situations. They couldnt even play any non-conference games for a season or two.

Glad someone shares the view point.

It makes it really hard for me to even want to argue the point with all the crazies in Happy Valley. Probably like a defense lawyer for a client he knows is guilty of murder. Paterno's name is forever tarnished because he failed to do the right thing himself when others wouldn't, and they can't seem to get that. That's why I say if you want to strip wins and anything affiliated with him over the time period that would be fine. It's like taking away wins and awards for Reggie Bush, he was ineligible. But I truely feel the NCAA has made a very serious over reach here. I don't think they were out to get PSU but they certainly wanted to make an example of them, and did so in a way I don't know that we've ever seen before. I just don't feel they should be getting involved in legal issues that are clearly being dealt with.

Baylor's basketball program did indeed receive sanction over that situations. They couldnt even play any non-conference games for a season or two.

But they didn't cripple them and charge the athletic department 60 million did they. I'd say murder and child rape are on par with each other, granted the amount that happened at PSU is beyond belief.

But they didn't cripple them and charge the athletic department 60 million did they. I'd say murder and child rape are on par with each other, granted the amount that happened at PSU is beyond belief.

I agree. I agree that the sanctions are a little harsh. I'm just saying that the NCAA in my view did not overstep their boundries by doing something. I can agree that they did a little too much.

Yes, Paterno's name is tarnished. Yes people make mistakes in judgment. We all do. All the time. But at that moment, in that situation, making the wrong decision cannot be excused. It cannot be forgotten and must have significant consequences. An example must be made of it. If Paterno was such the man of integrity he was advertised to be, then there is no way I can find forgiveness for his failure in this situation. I'm sorry, I just cant. I apologize for trampling a man's grave, but it is my view. This situation involving the harm of children was beyond anything ever encountered by the NCAA. It's been hammered on enough, and I've spoke my opinions again, and will now walk away and try to bury it again, finally.

I no longer care what happens to PSU. Not that I did too much to begin with. I hope the penalties stick and they add a few more.

This much butthurt could only come from Penn State University and the State of Pennsylvania

"The widespread nature of the "culture" the NCAA claims to have found to be unique to Penn State is perhaps best illustrated by the public remarks of the president of The Ohio State University, who, when asked whether he considered firing Ohio State's successful head football coach after major NCAA rules violations, replied, "I'm just hopeful that the coach doesn't dismiss me."

This much butthurt could only come from Penn State University and the State of Pennsylvania

"The widespread nature of the "culture" the NCAA claims to have found to be unique to Penn State is perhaps best illustrated by the public remarks of the president of The Ohio State University, who, when asked whether he considered firing Ohio State's successful head football coach after major NCAA rules violations, replied, "I'm just hopeful that the coach doesn't dismiss me."

For all the good points in the court filing, there are Jerry Springer-like comments like the one above.