Recruiting numbers

OK, I have heard about this "SEC over signing" issue but never really looked into the numbers. So, after watching that pathetic game last night and my disgust over the whole thing, I decided to look into it.

So, I looked over the last 4 years recruiting classes. I left Missouri and aTm out of the SEC since this is their first year and also so I can compare 12 team conferences.

Over the last 4 years, the 12 teams in the SEC have recruited 1205 athletes for an average of 100.42 per team.

Over the last 4 years, the 12 teams in the Big Ten have recruited 1018 athletes for an average of 84.8 per team.

This some how has to be fixed. Because of this, of course they are also attracting the best coaches. The coaches have free reign to bring in the athletes they need to win.

Interestingly, over the last 4 years, Nebraska has the LOWEST number of recruits over the last 4 years among ALL 24 teams with only 60 athletes. Wow....and we wonder why we are thin at some roster spots????

Our numbers are so low because Pelini basically redshirted an entire class when he got here 5 years ago. If he doesn't do that we are probably in the low 80s.

The SEC is ridiculous. But, until the NCAA makes schools honor 4 year scholarships it will not change. Too much money at stake for them to volunteer for the high road.

We have gone from a program that had HUGE rosters in the 70s and 80s and constantly had players that plugged into spots if someone gets injured to a program that has the bare minimum.

I personally believe we are recruiting very good talent. We have some great athletes on our team. BUT, for instance, when you look at our D line and all the injuries and other issues at that position, we simply need more players to plug in.

We have gone from a program that had HUGE rosters in the 70s and 80s and constantly had players that plugged into spots if someone gets injured to a program that has the bare minimum.

I personally believe we are recruiting very good talent. We have some great athletes on our team. BUT, for instance, when you look at our D line and all the injuries and other issues at that position, we simply need more players to plug in.

I believe this is exactly right. The young very good talent we have would have been on the field this year but they were injured and there was no one left to put in when the starters were getting hurt. Hence why Cam had to move inside. It wasn't so much that they aren't good enough like some seem to think as much as they were all hurt.

I believe this is exactly right. The young very good talent we have would have been on the field this year but they were injured and there was no one left to put in when the starters were getting hurt. Hence why Cam had to move inside. It wasn't so much that they aren't good enough like some seem to think as much as they were all hurt.

This is going to show up the biggest on the lines where you need more players.

According to Scout, Alabama has 84 players on their roster. Nebraska has 152. Now, I know a large part of that is our walk on program that I love and think is extremely important to our program. But, I wasn't expecting that big of difference.

Exactly. It's the walk-on players. Without looking, I assume Bama has NONE of those. But when they recruit 30-35 kids every year and just cut the ones that aren't developing, that means they've got a team of 84 guys who are either:

5-star players

4-star players

or 3-star players that panned out very well and are as productive as 4-star players.

How is a team like Nebraska supposed to compete with that? I know it will happen sooner or later, but it's ludicrous that the SEC is allowed to cheat and nothing is done about it.

OK, I have heard about this "SEC over signing" issue but never really looked into the numbers. So, after watching that pathetic game last night and my disgust over the whole thing, I decided to look into it.

So, I looked over the last 4 years recruiting classes. I left Missouri and aTm out of the SEC since this is their first year and also so I can compare 12 team conferences.

Over the last 4 years, the 12 teams in the SEC have recruited 1205 athletes for an average of 100.42 per team.

Over the last 4 years, the 12 teams in the Big Ten have recruited 1018 athletes for an average of 84.8 per team.

This some how has to be fixed. Because of this, of course they are also attracting the best coaches. The coaches have free reign to bring in the athletes they need to win.

Interestingly, over the last 4 years, Nebraska has the LOWEST number of recruits over the last 4 years among ALL 24 teams with only 60 athletes. Wow....and we wonder why we are thin at some roster spots????

Great post comparing the difference sec style roster management makes, but I have no idea where you got the number 60 for the last four classes at NU. We've had more than 60 (barely) in the last three classes alone, and my quick count showed 79 over the last four.

But, it also makes me bang my head against the wall on why we can't get any this year. Why have we had such a hard time getting top OL and DL recruits this year?

Why NU can't get top OL recruits is beyond me. Who wouldn't want to come and block for the likes of Abdullah, Armstrong/Stanton, Heard, Cross, Taylor, Turner, Bell, etc., etc.? It just makes no sense. Getting great DL guys is tough, so that makes a little more sense to me.

Great post comparing the difference sec stule roster management makes, but I have no idea where you got the number 60 for the last four classes at NU. We've had more than 60 (barely) in the last three classes alone, and my quick count showed 79 over the last four.

Crap...I had a typo when enter in the calculator. Sorry, did that fairly quickly this morning. I have the last 4 classes at 21, 22, 20, 17. That makes it 80 recruits. Still the main point of the post and thread are valid.

But, it also makes me bang my head against the wall on why we can't get any this year. Why have we had such a hard time getting top OL and DL recruits this year?

Why NU can't get top OL recruits is beyond me. Who wouldn't want to come and block for the likes of Abdullah, Armstrong/Stanton, Heard, Cross, Taylor, Turner, Bell, etc., etc.? It just makes no sense. Getting great DL guys is tough, so that makes a little more sense to me.

Why is getting D line recruits tougher? I am fairly happy with our O line recruits other than I would just like to have one or two more just like them. BUT, D line is a complete struggle.

Why is getting D line recruits tougher? I am fairly happy with our O line recruits other than I would just like to have one or two more just like them. BUT, D line is a complete struggle.

There just aren't enough to go around. I'd have to look again for sure but I think rivals has three five star DTs this year and 24 four stars. And I think exactly two of them are not from a state that has oceanfront property. There are about 60 schools in the major five conferences and most of those schools are a lot more coastal than DONU. The math just doesn't workout well for us.