We are raising a generation of deluded narcissists

I don't normally post this stuff but this is a really good read IMO. You may not agree with all of it or any of it, but I found it interesting

A new analysis of the American Freshman Survey, which has accumulated data for the past 47 years from 9 million young adults, reveals that college students are more likely than ever to call themselves gifted and driven to succeed, even though their test scores and time spent studying are decreasing.

Psychologist Jean Twenge, the lead author of the analysis, is also the author study showing that the tendency toward narcissism in students is up 30 percent in the last thirty-odd years.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2HRE8VBWB

Interesting article. Lots of truth in there. But, this same approach towards younger generations is nothing new. Yes, in many aspects society is getting softer and worse. However there are also large numbers of individuals that overcome their societal handicaps and actually make this world a better place. Technology and advancement has wreaked a bit of havoc but it has also helped improve many aspects of our lives. This article points out some things to heed but it isn't all doom and gloom. At least not in any immediate time frame.

While I agree with the points and the spirits of the article, especially being young and narcissistic myself, I think today's youth is also, in general, much more passionate than the generations before. Passion can be bad if it's towards bad things, but there are a lot of great things young people are devoting themselves to as well.

While I agree with the points and the spirits of the article, especially being young and narcissistic myself, I think today's youth is also, in general, much more passionate than the generations before. Passion can be bad if it's towards bad things, but there are a lot of great things young people are devoting themselves to as well.

Bland an uninspired passion with a 10-second attention span, but collectively more passionate, nonetheless.

Bland an uninspired passion with a 10-second attention span, but collectively more passionate, nonetheless.

Here's what I was a part of last week:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2013/01/08/exp-passion-movement.cnn

http://www.cnn.com/v...on-movement.cnn

I mean, great, but how many tabs/windows do you have open right now. Be honest.

http://www.cnn.com/v...on-movement.cnn

I mean, great, but how many tabs/windows do you have open right now. Be honest.

17. Where are you going with that?

We have grown up with teachers and parents and everyone else trying to instill confidence in us, telling us that we can be whatever we want to be, that we're all winners, that everyone is special, that we should be confident and make ourselves stand out in order to get scholarships, opportunities, and jobs, and all of a sudden we show a little bit of self-confidence and that's a BAD thing?

PLEASE.